Adam&Allison

Should I buy a suit for the interview?

10 posts in this topic

So my interview is on the 20th January and all of my suits are summer suits (lighter colours) - do you think its worth picking up a new suit for the interview? I know that alot of people say that suits aren't really required for London, but I figure if I'm gonna go smart casual anyways - I may as well just wear a suit lol.

Anyone had their interviews recently? If so - what did you choose to wear?

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new suit. If so, why not. But seriously, not necessary. Casual attire is fine.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

There were people in suits in London on Tuesday. There was also a bloke in ripped jeans and a paint-splattered t-shirt with his documents in a Sainsbury's bag for life. It's certainly not necessary and I actually think it can come across as trying too hard. But if you feel comfortable in a suit then why not?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new suit. If so, why not. But seriously, not necessary. Casual attire is fine.

Haha, fair. I really am

There were people in suits in London on Tuesday. There was also a bloke in ripped jeans and a paint-splattered t-shirt with his documents in a Sainsbury's bag for life. It's certainly not necessary and I actually think it can come across as trying too hard. But if you feel comfortable in a suit then why not?

Yeah, maybe I'll not go in a suit but maybe a nice shirt, nice jeans and shoes. We'll see - I'm not too worried, I dress smart casual for work all the time so I'm sure I'll figure it out

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

My interview was back in July on about the hottest day of the year so ended up wearing a casual summer dress - there were people in suits, smart casual, sportswear, all sorts! - don't worry too much about it, just wear what you'll be comfortable in, you may be waiting a long time :)

K1 Visa

Packet Sent:  01/20/2016

NOA1: 02/11/2016

NOA2: 03/11/2016

NVC Received Case: 04/07/2016

Consulate Received Case: 04/12/2016

Medical Exam: 05/19/2016

Interview: 07/21/2016

Visa Received: 07/31/2016

US Entry: 09/11/2016

Wedding: 09/23/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Packet Sent: 10/19/2016

NOA(x3) : 11/02/2016

Biometrics: 11/25/2016

AOS Approval: 12/30/2016

Green Card Received: 01/07/2017

ROC

Packet Sent: 10/15/2018

Text Received: 10/24/2018

NOA: 11/08/2018

Biometrics: 11/26/2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

when i went for my interview in london 90% of the males i seen were in jeans and a tshirt (simple with no offensive word/slogans or graphics on them) or they wore a shirt with the jeans... the females a select few had suits on but most were jeans or black trousers and a dressed top (something you would wear to work or a classy restaurant)... i personally wore skinny jeans, uggs, and a black tshirt that covered my clevage

Edited by Moslund

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance had his interview Nov 17, and he wore nice jeans and a nice shirt... however it was cold outside, we had our coats on, and we never really had a chance to take our coats off, so his nice shirt was never seen. But there was a mix of attire in the embassy... everywhere from business suits to jeans with coats.

~ Allison, the USC

I wore casual trousers, polo and jacket (only because it was cold)

Wear whatever you are comfortable in.

Just an FYI, Noel Fielding was attending an interview, and you know the ####### he wears, well he wore it to the interview!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.