sebastianshaw

AOS December 2016 Filers (merged)

2,199 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mthldou said:

I have completed my medical exam on August 23rd. Gonorreah test done on September 19th. My interview in August 2nd. Is my medical going to be expired or do you all think it's fine? It was submitted in December with all the applications 

I don't think so. It's still good to go I guess since it hasn't passed the 23rd which is 1 year to be exact. ☺️

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Cooldude20 said:

I don't think so. It's still good to go I guess since it hasn't passed the 23rd which is 1 year to be exact. ☺️

Okay awesome!! Saving some money :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The instructions on USCIS website actually says that your medical is valid if you file for AOS within 1 year from when the medical was done, not that the medical is only valid for 1 year. So either way, even if you only get your interview more than a year after the medical was done you SHOULD still be fine. However, people have gotten RFEs for this very issue because some field offices don't know their own rules.

EDIT, the i-693 seems to have a littel different rule than the foreign medical exam. So it's valid for a year from when you submitted it to USCIS, or am I reading it wrong?  https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-issues-new-policy-form-i-693-report-medical-examination-and-vaccination-record

EDIT 2: Yeah I think you guys have until December as that's when you submitted it. https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/how-long-is-form-i-693-valid

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

On 6/19/2017 at 7:04 AM, HackyMoto said:

I spoke to a lawyer about what could happen at the interview. He said one of two people could interview me, namely a field supervisor or a field officer. Field officers cannot approve you in the system without the say so from the supervisor. Often they would say something along the lines that you mention then defer the case to the supervisor along with a recommendation. The supervisor would then act upon the case. 

If this is all true, then maybe this is what happened to your good self. Congratulations. My interview is tomorrow. 

That makes sense. 

How was your interview?

Filed AOS and I-795: 12/22/2016

Case received sms: 01/17/2017

NOA for both: 01/21/2017

RFIE: 02/13/2017

Mailed RFIE: 02/15/2017

Biometrics Appointment:02/16/2017

RFIE received by uscis, case reopened: 02/17/2017

Notification that EAD is being produced: 03/24/2017

Notification of EAD mailed: 03/31/2017

EAD received in the mail: 04/04/2017

Notification I-485 Scheduled for interview: 03/29/2017

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
11 hours ago, TJSEE said:

That makes sense. 

How was your interview?

It went like I described it could go haha. The interview went great. He said the I-130 was approved but didn't want to approve the AOS until he reviewed the case :huh: then a few hours later, my uscis account was updated to say the card is in production. The next day it was updated to say approved.

have you received your card? If so how long did that take from notification of approval?

Edited by HackyMoto

Our Journey

Nov 17th 2003: Met in New Orleans 

Nov 30th 2004: Married in Belize

May 1st 2006: Moved from Louisiana to Scotland

Nov 3rd 2006: Jessica was born

Jan 18th 2011: Ellie was born

Feb 28th 2011: Moved to Mumbai, India

Jan 16th 2014: Moved back to the US

AOS - 2016
May 23rd: I-130, AOS, EAD and AP received
June 1st: Checks cashed
June 6th: Hard copy receipts received for I-130, AOS and EAD. AP receipt not received (however lawyer sent me copies of his receipts which included the AP)
June 6th: Receipt numbers work on USCIS.
June 11th: Biometrics notification
June 13th: Biometrics (walk in)

Aug 13th: Text notification for EAD. Card being produced

Aug 15th: Text notification for EAD & AP. Case approved

Aug 18th: Text notification for EAD. Card has been mailed

Aug 20th: EAD/AP Combo card delivered

April 16th: Applied for EAD/AP renewal

April 25th: EAD/AP case received

May 16th: Text notification received for AOS case status update: interview is scheduled

June 06th: Redo medical

June 20th: Interview date. Evening email: "We ordered your new card"

June 21st: Email received "Case was approved"

June 23rd: Email received "Card was mailed to me"

June 27th: 10 year Green Card delivered 

March 22nd 2020: N-400 window opens

Timeline

I just read "6 days".....

Our Journey

AOS - 2016
June 6th: Hard copy receipts received for I-130, AOS and EAD. AP receipt not received (however lawyer sent me copies of his receipts which included the AP)

May 16th: Text notification received for AOS case status update: interview is scheduled

On 6/21/2017 at 11:29 AM, Scandi said:

The instructions on USCIS website actually says that your medical is valid if you file for AOS within 1 year from when the medical was done, not that the medical is only valid for 1 year. So either way, even if you only get your interview more than a year after the medical was done you SHOULD still be fine. However, people have gotten RFEs for this very issue because some field offices don't know their own rules.

EDIT, the i-693 seems to have a littel different rule than the foreign medical exam. So it's valid for a year from when you submitted it to USCIS, or am I reading it wrong?  https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-issues-new-policy-form-i-693-report-medical-examination-and-vaccination-record

EDIT 2: Yeah I think you guys have until December as that's when you submitted it. https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/how-long-is-form-i-693-valid

I have read what are inside those links over and over again and from what is clear, "it is valid for 1 year from the time it was submitted to USCIS". Supporting point would be from "the time it was signed by the civil surgeon" in which for a K1 visa case is the day you had your medical examination from your home country.

I also believe as K1 applicants, we were given this brown envelope containing the results which is handed over during POE. It may be the time this was submitted to USCIS just for my thought.

In the case of a DS-3025, I just don't know if it follows that the deadline for that is the day the civil surgeon signed it. This is because it was not submitted on POE and should be included in I-485 packet.

The only time that the I-693 has a year of a deadline from the day you submitted it applies to B1/B2 visas since they will have to do their medical exams here in US. 

If field offices may not be at par with each other in terms of how they interpret the said rules (which of course would result to an RFE), then I guess the safest is to apply the "valid for 1 year rule". There is no use forcing what we understand about it against an officer after we get an RFE. We can always call them to have this discussed but it's better to talk to a Tier 2 officer about this.

This is just as far as I can understand which may differ others' opinion. Hope this may help. ☺️

Edited by Cooldude20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just wanted to add that the DS-3025 is included in the medical report that is in the sealed envelope you hand over at POE. So USCIS already have the original, however, that medical report is put in your A-file and most often USCIS doesn't manage to connect that file with your application. That's why we should send a copy of the DS-3025 with our AOS package - USCIS already knows we passed the medical in our home countries or else we wouldn't have been granted the visa. The vaccinations aren't a requirement to get the visa however, that's why they're interested in the vaccination work sheet to see if it's marked complete or not, since it's a requirement for the AOS. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they never bother to look at the whole medical report at all (since they already know we passed it).

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

45 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I just wanted to add that the DS-3025 is included in the medical report that is in the sealed envelope you hand over at POE. So USCIS already have the original, however, that medical report is put in your A-file and most often USCIS doesn't manage to connect that file with your application. That's why we should send a copy of the DS-3025 with our AOS package - USCIS already knows we passed the medical in our home countries or else we wouldn't have been granted the visa. The vaccinations aren't a requirement to get the visa however, that's why they're interested in the vaccination work sheet to see if it's marked complete or not, since it's a requirement for the AOS. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they never bother to look at the whole medical report at all (since they already know we passed it).

That being said means that as K1 visa holders, the only proof that we have a complete medical exam is through DS-3025. If that is the case, we can contend that the 1 year validity starts at time of the submission of the packet.

We are all being inquisitive as to what exactly is the validity of the medical examination. Each of them has their own interpretation in which the only thing we can do is to hope that the person adjudicating our case has the same interpretation as ours. Only receiving an RFE will determine how they understood the whole of it.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:58 AM, HackyMoto said:

It went like I described it could go haha. The interview went great. He said the I-130 was approved but didn't want to approve the AOS until he reviewed the case :huh: then a few hours later, my uscis account was updated to say the card is in production. The next day it was updated to say approved.

have you received your card? If so how long did that take from notification of approval?

Im guessing this happens often then. 

Glad you were approved. 

My card arrive in the mail a week after the approval. Hope yours comes soon. 

Filed AOS and I-795: 12/22/2016

Case received sms: 01/17/2017

NOA for both: 01/21/2017

RFIE: 02/13/2017

Mailed RFIE: 02/15/2017

Biometrics Appointment:02/16/2017

RFIE received by uscis, case reopened: 02/17/2017

Notification that EAD is being produced: 03/24/2017

Notification of EAD mailed: 03/31/2017

EAD received in the mail: 04/04/2017

Notification I-485 Scheduled for interview: 03/29/2017

Is anyone here waiting for the Jacksonville field office?

We sent our documents (married to USC, concurrent filing, F-1 to AoS) to the Chicago lockbox on 12/17/2017. These were forwarded to NBC.

Received case received emails and texts on 12/21/2017.

Received NoA in mail about a week later.

Biometrics for EAD on 01/30/2017 @ Jax field office.

EAD apprived on 04/10/2017 and received about a week later.

No update on the I-130 and I-485. Online status is still at case received. No idea if the case has been forwarded to the filed office or not. Called customer service and they didn't provide any additional information either. Never got an RFE.

This is driving us a bit impatient since it's been 6 months and seems like the case hasn't been touched at all.

I saw some other applications already had an interview and got approved, even though their field office processing times is around the same date as what is show for Jacksonville.

Thanks all!

Timeline
On 6/25/2017 at 0:29 AM, TJSEE said:

Im guessing this happens often then. 

Glad you were approved. 

My card arrive in the mail a week after the approval. Hope yours comes soon. 

Only 1007 more days until N-400 submission :jest:

Our Journey

AOS - 2016

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 6/27/2017 at 7:16 PM, HackyMoto said:

Only 1007 more days until N-400 submission :jest:

congrats, just like Houston last year, Minnesota waiting is close to 1 year, and the wait is tortureous. 

looking at your case history gives me hope that patience pays in the end. 

ROC Timeline

June 15, 2020: Sent package through USPS

June 18, 2020: Delivered to Arizona PO box

June 23, 2020: Credit Card Debited

June 24, 2020: E notification for case (LIN-Receipt) 

July  15, 2020: Case was updated to show that fingerprints were taken

July 16, 2020 : Official NOA letter dated July 1 was received  

July 20, 2020 : Official fingerprint taken notice dated July 15 was received

March 05, 2021: Status updated to "Card in Production"

March 06, 2021: Status updated to I-751 Approved

Timeline
56 minutes ago, sebastianshaw said:

congrats, just like Houston last year, Minnesota waiting is close to 1 year, and the wait is tortureous. 

looking at your case history gives me hope that patience pays in the end. 

I now laugh remembering how many times I've listened to friends who received their GC's within 6 months in Houston and they didn't  believe me when I told them it's over 12 months now. One of my friends got his card with 120 days. At these times, I so wanted to make infopass after infopass to scream at someone "why would it take so long" but after the 6 month mark, I forced myself to be distracted by other matters and just go with the flow "what will come, will come".

The worst period for me was after the interview when I didn't get an immediate decision then waiting on the GC in the post...

Our Journey

AOS - 2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.