Umka36

Officer Charged with Manslaughter in Fatal Shooting That Was Streamed Live on Facebook

30 posts in this topic

not good enough, imo.

Not good enough yes, but knowing the system, it's most likely the best they can get, if they can even get a conviction.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Not good enough yes, but knowing the system, it's most likely the best they can get, if they can even get a conviction.

makes me sick.

Do you have to tell the police you have a gun if you have a license in that state?

We don't need a license to carry concealed in our cars and police don't ask and I sure wouldn't tell if I did

A case like this definitely makes you question what you should do. Normally I would say "just be honest". If the gun is in the glove box just say "I have a license to carry a firearm and it's in my glove box. I am informing you in order to provide full disclosure" or something. It seems like this guy basically did that and it didn't turn out well.

I guess if you legally aren't required to say anything maybe you should just say nothing? If the cop has a reason to search the car and finds the gun, he can't argue you are "armed" since he will find it himself, and then you can show him the permit.

Or you can be like me and just not carry a gun in your car (even in Texas! I know, shocking). :)

Do you have to tell the police you have a gun if you have a license in that state?

We don't need a license to carry concealed in our cars and police don't ask and I sure wouldn't tell if I did

I believe many states have laws demanding the firearm owner tell the officer or the officer must ask immediately upon encounter. Failure to do so is a problem. But in instances like this, admitting you have one may cost your life. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As I said before I know of a lady that is a CC who was involved in an accident. She forgot to inform the officer in her distress (but told him when she remembered after a while), he was alarmed initially but was understanding enough and professional enough at his job to not shoot her while her kids were in the back seat.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

I believe many states have laws demanding the firearm owner tell the officer or the officer must ask immediately upon encounter. Failure to do so is a problem. But in instances like this, admitting you have one may cost your life. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As I said before I know of a lady that is a CC who was involved in an accident. She forgot to inform the officer in her distress (but told him when she remembered after a while), he was alarmed initially but was understanding enough and professional enough at his job to not shoot her while her kids were in the back seat.

What I don't get is, and maybe it's because I'm not a gun owner, but if you inform the cop that you have a gun in your glove compartment why should that immediately freak them out? Isn't that where most people keep a firearm? If you tell them where it is, and it is obviously a decent distance away (You can't lean over, open the glove box, grab the weapon, aim and shoot all that quickly) they shouldn't be that worried?

Or do people like wear a gun on a holster in their car?

A case like this definitely makes you question what you should do. Normally I would say "just be honest". If the gun is in the glove box just say "I have a license to carry a firearm and it's in my glove box. I am informing you in order to provide full disclosure" or something. It seems like this guy basically did that and it didn't turn out well.

I guess if you legally aren't required to say anything maybe you should just say nothing? If the cop has a reason to search the car and finds the gun, he can't argue you are "armed" since he will find it himself, and then you can show him the permit.

Or you can be like me and just not carry a gun in your car (even in Texas! I know, shocking). :)

You live in Texas and don't carry a gun 24/7? What kind of man are you? Most folks on this board from Texas sleep with their guns and keep their wimmins on the couch.

You live in Texas and don't carry a gun 24/7? What kind of man are you? Most folks on this board from Texas sleep with their guns and keep their wimmins on the couch.

I moved here 3 months ago from NYC, I'm a Pediatrician and my wife is from the UK where you can only own a weapon if you have a hunting permit. I am essentially the furthest you can possibly get from a gun owner. It's fine if other people want to, but I never will. The guy installing my security system after I bought my house before he left was like "So now all you need to complete your home security is a pistol, let me show you mine" and proceeded to show me cell phone photos as if it was a child (He actually even had a photo of his infant and the gun in the same shot...). I smiled politely and walked him towards the door.

What I don't get is, and maybe it's because I'm not a gun owner, but if you inform the cop that you have a gun in your glove compartment why should that immediately freak them out? Isn't that where most people keep a firearm? If you tell them where it is, and it is obviously a decent distance away (You can't lean over, open the glove box, grab the weapon, aim and shoot all that quickly) they shouldn't be that worried?

Well she kept hers locked in the glove box, not sure what the regulation is in some states, but I guess some people might wear a holster if they wanted to. It's funny that an officer would be alarmed isn't it? Maybe he wasn't expecting a little lady with a few kids to have a firearm, or maybe it was because she didn't announce she had one immediately as you are supposed to. If America is supposed to support the 2nd and the right of a person to carry (even in CC states), then officers need to be trained very thoroughly and shouldn't be so alarmed. I could say that there was some bad judgment calls leading to the murder of this man, itchy trigger finger, prejudice, and a lot of assumptions at work in this case.....

We actually had a case in town of a cop that shot a man to death in a parking lot (warrant out for arrest/druggy), while the wife and kids were in the car. He wasn't armed or anything, but the wife actually ended up suing the state (and I think she won) for wrongful death, because after he shot him, he not only failed to provide him any first aid, he basically admitted aloud that he was happy to let the guy bleed out to death (which he did). Cop is off the force now.

Filed: Timeline

I don't know anyone in Texas who keeps it in there glovebox. You need to be able to reach for it if needed. Most have built in holders where you can put it under your steering wheel or either beside your left or right knee.

I don't know anyone in Texas who keeps it in there glovebox. You need to be able to reach for it if needed. Most have built in holders where you can put it under your steering wheel or either beside your left or right knee.

That's intense. At least the people are "following through" on the idea that it will keep them safe.