1,501 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, Marta777 said:

Are you currently in the States? 

If you have submitted I-130 that long ago, you have been eligible to aply for AOS starting from June 1st, 2019. So technically you could have started the process 2 weeks ago.

I (LPR) applied for my husband (currently in the States on H1B) on June 3 (first business day in June 😂) and we have already received his Notices of Action for I-485, I-765 and I-131. Now we wait for biometrics appoitment.

But the thing is - we submitted our I-130 only 7 months ago, so I'm not sure if we'll still have to wait at least 1 year and 3 months more or will they just schedule us for the interview now (since his priority date is current) and approve it right away. We'll see 😊

Marta,

I do have similar situation. However, my notices of actions for I-485, I131, & I-765 are from "national benefits center". Is that the case for you too? I'm kind of confused!

Sorry in advanced for the first post wall of questions.

Quick summary, I didn't have a lawyer at the time and did a couple months of research and many examples of the i130 f2a category then filed with some cross checks from other people that did similar type forms.

PD Feb 2018, at the California service center.  A year later, no updates, just that receipt notice, so a little while after I got a lawyer figuring the second half of the process or if any complications occur he would have all my documentation I submitted already. He looked over each page briefly ish (NOT like with a magnifying glass, with hours examining it) and said the petition itself is good, think I missed one attachment(her birth certificate?) that he said they may or may not ask for at some point and to call him when updates from visa bulletin because still a longish wait.

Fast forward now and July, 2019 says everything is current. I get an update very late June, 2019 that my case has been transferred to Potomac center. I relooked online reviewing what I already submitted and seems to have some things I seem to have missed that was not there when I did it.

Questions:

1. Does not having the lawyer do it make it hard for this to be approved because they see you did it yourself?

2. I have all documents like residents card, marriage certificate with translation(wife not in usa), passport photos of me and wife in black and white.(now I am reading it supposed to be in color and written names on back in pencil??).

3. Now online the check lists say I had to send pictures and stuff to prove the marriage? I didn't include any personal pictures like this and lawyer didn't say anything after, was I supposed to?

4. Is the Potomac transfer good, bad, unknown? the mail said they did a preliminary review of the case, transferred to Potomac and it has jurisdiction over it now, will send mail when decision is made or need more information.

5. How long does it take and any insights or experience from you guys that I should expect (Called lawyer to update, lawyer busy so have to wait for return call).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any insights in the whole situation. The waiting game as you all know is very stressful, 19 months or so already. I am very familiar with the waiting game, I have waited for other process stuff for a way longer times but have no clue about this process. Sorry again for being a bother or if I posted in the wrong section. I wish everyone the best of luck too.

10 hours ago, UltimateForm said:

Sorry in advanced for the first post wall of questions.

Quick summary, I didn't have a lawyer at the time and did a couple months of research and many examples of the i130 f2a category then filed with some cross checks from other people that did similar type forms.

PD Feb 2018, at the California service center.  A year later, no updates, just that receipt notice, so a little while after I got a lawyer figuring the second half of the process or if any complications occur he would have all my documentation I submitted already. He looked over each page briefly ish (NOT like with a magnifying glass, with hours examining it) and said the petition itself is good, think I missed one attachment(her birth certificate?) that he said they may or may not ask for at some point and to call him when updates from visa bulletin because still a longish wait.

Fast forward now and July, 2019 says everything is current. I get an update very late June, 2019 that my case has been transferred to Potomac center. I relooked online reviewing what I already submitted and seems to have some things I seem to have missed that was not there when I did it.

Questions:

1. Does not having the lawyer do it make it hard for this to be approved because they see you did it yourself?

2. I have all documents like residents card, marriage certificate with translation(wife not in usa), passport photos of me and wife in black and white.(now I am reading it supposed to be in color and written names on back in pencil??).

3. Now online the check lists say I had to send pictures and stuff to prove the marriage? I didn't include any personal pictures like this and lawyer didn't say anything after, was I supposed to?

4. Is the Potomac transfer good, bad, unknown? the mail said they did a preliminary review of the case, transferred to Potomac and it has jurisdiction over it now, will send mail when decision is made or need more information.

5. How long does it take and any insights or experience from you guys that I should expect (Called lawyer to update, lawyer busy so have to wait for return call).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any insights in the whole situation. The waiting game as you all know is very stressful, 19 months or so already. I am very familiar with the waiting game, I have waited for other process stuff for a way longer times but have no clue about this process. Sorry again for being a bother or if I posted in the wrong section. I wish everyone the best of luck too.

The Birth Certificate needs to be submitted at the NVC stage not to USCIS, its not part of the required documents. I don't think it makes a difference if you used a lawyer or not. You just need to submit it properly. In case USCIS feels you need to submit any extra documents they will let you know through a RFE, so don't worry to much on photos front. 

Just a question did you become a US citizen in the mean while? that may have caused your case to move from California to Potomac. 

17 minutes ago, ABHM said:

The Birth Certificate needs to be submitted at the NVC stage not to USCIS, its not part of the required documents. I don't think it makes a difference if you used a lawyer or not. You just need to submit it properly. In case USCIS feels you need to submit any extra documents they will let you know through a RFE, so don't worry to much on photos front. 

Just a question did you become a US citizen in the mean while? that may have caused your case to move from California to Potomac. 

Thank you for answering. I did not become one in the mean time, that is still 2 years out before I become one.

4 minutes ago, UltimateForm said:

Thank you for answering. I did not become one in the mean time, that is still 2 years out before I become one.

Same here have 2 years to go myself to apply for citizenship. On the transfer, that's actually good news, finally cases are being transferred from California to other service centers. This should speed up things. However, the processing times for F2a for Potomac are not shown on the USCIS website. They have only listed spouse parents and child of US citizen. It could be that now they have started processing f2a too.

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline
On 5/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, KatenkaMishka said:

Well, you can not use old OPT EAd when receive AOS one for sure. Not 100% sure about applying for OPT extension at this point , but why not to try ? Just thinking out loud. IF they accept it - you’ll have your receipt which gives you extra 180 days to your expired opt EAD to use . If they reject accepting it - well, nothing to loose, just wait for AOS EAD then (and try to expedite)

Hi, I hope your process is moving faster. I did get my EAD expedited and got a combo card. I just wanted to ask if you know of any risk with traveling on AP. I plan to to travel twice. Once in November and February. Have you travelled with AP? As I stated before I was a F1. And I have always maintained legal status. 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:51 PM, Mrs.Usama said:

Any approvals?

I did not get an approval, but it appears Nov 2017 filers are being worked on currently.

My PD is 11/17/2017

Case Status: Initial Review  (7/2/2019)

Case Status: Request for Evidence (RFE) (7/8/2019)

So it appears they are working/approving petitions up to Nov 2017. I hope this has been helpful to some.

By the way, does anyone know how long these RFE letters take to reach in the mail? I'm moving to a new apartment by Friday (7/12/2019) and I'm wondering if the letter will arrive in time before I move (crossing fingers).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.