lizzymar27

F1 visa holder applied for AOS (LPR husband) can i quit school?

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SamSam85 said:

oh I see, but the same question applies, say there are available interview slots, would they schedule one for spouse of LPR before priority date current?

No they will not.  Thry can't grant you permanent residency so they wont bother with an interview until such a time.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 hours ago, SamSam85 said:

oh I see, but the same question applies, say there are available interview slots, would they schedule one for spouse of LPR before priority date current?

Very unlikely for there to be available slots. Almost every LPR category is over subscribed except those with no numerical limits( IR1).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some of the work categories are current

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 hours ago, halo101 said:

The interview date varies a lot based on the location.  My priority date was "current" about 6 month ago.  You won't get an interview within a year even if you are a spouse of US citizen in HOUSTON. 

Someone mentioned that being out of status (F1-expired) would risk being reported to ICE/USCIS EVEN if you have a pending AOS. Did you hear any stories about this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
23 minutes ago, SamSam85 said:

Someone mentioned that being out of status (F1-expired) would risk being reported to ICE/USCIS EVEN if you have a pending AOS. Did you hear any stories about this?

That happens to everyone that is out of status not just F1. In practice uscis  will not report you to ICE and even if they did you are not an ICE priority simply because you still be able to adjust infront of a judge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have to be in status to adjust status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Hey I was an F-1 student. I took less units in the last semester when we applied for AOS. However, I didn't completely quit. The DSO of my school told me that I have to maintain status untill I'm really approved, otherwise I would put my student visa in jeopardy IF my AOS gets rejected. Bottom line is you don't know when your interview will be and if you will be approved, if you quit school you no longer can go back to your F-1 status and basically you're out of status. It's risky, I wouldn't recommend that and contact your DSO.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.