BackWhereIBelong

No overseas tax offices, how to get ITIN?

8 posts in this topic

Claimed my wife on my/our taxes as she does not work, does not live in the US, and I support her.

The filing got rejected for no SS#.

Called IRS, they said to get her an ITIN and amend the tax filing. Of the 8 or so people I spoke with after hours on th ephone, some said they could adjust without refiling, some said had to refile.

IRS said to appear at the IRS office, so made an appointment, went.

Was told when there that, as wife returns to her home country from her VWP visit, to apply for the ITIN there (not in the US). Would have to amend and refile. Then my claim of her as spouse will be valid.

This, from the IRS:

Taxpayer service, formerly offered at the foreign posts of duty, is no longer available. Please send your tax forms and correspondence to the applicable address indicated below.

So, clearly this can't be done overseas.
If I can't go to the IRS for information on the IRS, who to go to? How to get the ITIN?

Claimed my wife on my/our taxes as she does not work, does not live in the US, and I support her.

The filing got rejected for no SS#.

Called IRS, they said to get her an ITIN and amend the tax filing. Of the 8 or so people I spoke with after hours on th ephone, some said they could adjust without refiling, some said had to refile.

IRS said to appear at the IRS office, so made an appointment, went.

Was told when there that, as wife returns to her home country from her VWP visit, to apply for the ITIN there (not in the US). Would have to amend and refile. Then my claim of her as spouse will be valid.

This, from the IRS:

Taxpayer service, formerly offered at the foreign posts of duty, is no longer available. Please send your tax forms and correspondence to the applicable address indicated below.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/contact-my-local-office-internationally

So, clearly this can't be done overseas.

If I can't go to the IRS for information on the IRS, who to go to? How to get the ITIN?

Many have done it from overseas. You must go to USEMBASSY with your wife to get a copy of her passport notarized.

You will send that copy with your W7 and your tax forms you amended.

That's it.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.
Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

:goofy:

Come join the current Interview thread: 

Case-Complete-to-Interview-November-2018/

Case Complete to Interview Form
Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
NVC Filers Wiki Process

Thanks, and I want to take this advice, but the IRS site says that as of 2015, overseas US Embassies no longer provide tax services, an ITIN is an IRS / tax construct, not an CIS/NVC/Immigration construct.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/obtaining-an-itin-from-abroad

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/acceptance-agents-japan

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Thanks again, and an update.

Wife contacted an Acceptance Advisor in Japan, they will charge the equivalent of USD $350 and say it will take 3 months.

This seems outrageous - does this seem right to anyone here?

Can we really not get this done in the US?

You mean physically go to the US and apply? Of course you can do it in the US. Or you can obtain the certified copy of the applicant's passport do it yourself via mail. It will be much cheaper and even faster than using the agent. The IRS site says it takes something like 5-7 weeks to get an ITIN, no clue where the agent got that three months time frame from.

Edited by millefleur

03639.png                  

🇷🇺  ♥  CR-1 via DCF in Moscow! ♥  🇺🇸

Spoiler

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad :3
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Embassy
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received :]

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview - approved!

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

I-90 GC Replacment (for Erroneous GC)

Spoiler

22-Jul-2017: GC arrives in the mail – middle name is cut off 😕

01-Aug-2017: Sent in I-90 online via website

05-Aug-2017: Biometrics scheduled

23-Aug-2017: Biometrics done @ USCIS office; kept GC!

16-Jul-2018: RFE for supporting docs!! D:<

31-Jul-2018: USCIS Appointment at local field office..

22-Aug-2018: Mailed GC back to USCIS in response to RFE

29-Aug-2018: GC received by USCIS

17-Sept-2018: Received CORRECTED GC in the mail! Finally!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.