sivafrag

Divorcing before two years married

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I need some help and info on my situation and what can happen if things fall apart. I fell in love with my wife, we got married, we have a wonderful son, we were pretty happy for a while. But lately things are starting to fall apart, we both have been stressed out and fighting 24/7. In the last weeks I started to wonder what would happen to me if we got divorced before I get my permanent green card.
I am afraid that I will have to go back to my home country and I will not be able to see my son again. We have been talking about marriage counseling but I am just worried about getting kicked out from usa.
I received my conditional green card on December/2015, and this is what we have so far.

• We have a house but it is only in her name
  • Our son
  • We have two cars in our names
  • joint bank account
  • credit card
  • Utility bills
  • Family pictures
  • Pets
  • Health Insurance
  • I have a stable job btw

We got married in good faith, we are a good couple, I do think that we can last, but if things continue going downhill, I think we will end up getting divorced.
So my question is, what can or will happen to me if we get divorced before I get my permanent green card? I only have my conditional one for now.

You can file I-751 with divorce waiver once the divorce is finalized.

Start collecting evidence of bona fide marriages.

The financial accounts statements should cover the length of your entire marriage ( e.g.1 statement every 3month).

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi,

I need some help and info on my situation and what can happen if things fall apart. I fell in love with my wife, we got married, we have a wonderful son, we were pretty happy for a while. But lately things are starting to fall apart, we both have been stressed out and fighting 24/7. In the last weeks I started to wonder what would happen to me if we got divorced before I get my permanent green card.

I am afraid that I will have to go back to my home country and I will not be able to see my son again. We have been talking about marriage counseling but I am just worried about getting kicked out from usa.

I received my conditional green card on December/2015, and this is what we have so far.

• We have a house but it is only in her name
  • Our son
  • We have two cars in our names
  • joint bank account
  • credit card
  • Utility bills
  • Family pictures
  • Pets
  • Health Insurance
  • I have a stable job btw

We got married in good faith, we are a good couple, I do think that we can last, but if things continue going downhill, I think we will end up getting divorced.

So my question is, what can or will happen to me if we get divorced before I get my permanent green card? I only have my conditional one for now.

Really???

But other then that you can ROC yourself after divorce with a divorce waiver. You need evidence of the marriage in good faith.

As the others have said, you can file for the Removal of Conditions on your own if you are going to end up in a divorce.

If I were in your situation, I would read up in the Removal of Conditions forum, and collect all of the necessary evidence to prove a bonafide marriage.

And I would do it now. And I would keep a copy of all of the documents somewhere outside of the home.

Sometimes marriages end very quickly and things can become very nasty. Protect your future by preparing the documents now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.