tommy92

need help with i-134 k1 affidavit of support, is this enough?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone.

I am really hoping someone will be able to help me.. I am using a co sponsor for the i-134 affidavit of support as I have been living and working overseas and have no US income.

My sponsor has recently left his job where he had been working for quite some time. He had to take time off work work for surgery so he was not working. He has payslips from his previous job where he left in June, already showing he has made 25k YTD. he also has last two years tax returns/W2s which show he has made 47k both years. so over the requirements.

He now has a new job but it is not salary, nor hourly. He gets paid for how many 'jobs' he takes. So the employment letter will not show salary, it will probably show 'this is how much he will make if he works so and so amount, meaning an average salary of xxxxx' He was planning on writing a letter saying he will promise to work x amount of hours in order to support my fiance. Do you think this will be enough? He only has one payslip from them as he hasn't been working much as he is recovering still but will be better soon. He also has already made 25k year to date, will they take this into account also? because that is already over the requirement?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated as our interview is coming up in Sydney soon and I am freaking out.

Thank you. T & J

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It isn't about past income and what you have made so far in the year. It is about current annual income(what you are earning now and projected income for a year's time calculated with that current pay rate), and proving to the CO that you have stable, ongoing income that meets the requirement.

For the K-1 visa, it could be enough to simply show the tax transcript, as for some consulates, that is all you need to prove income for the I-134. Not sure what they want in Sydney, so you should research for your specific consulate. When it comes time for the I-864 later for AOS after you are married, then that will not be enough. The joint sponsor will need to prove their current annual income meets the 125% requirement, and a letter promising to work enough hours will not cut it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

It isn't about past income and what you have made so far in the year. It is about current annual income(what you are earning now and projected income for a year's time calculated with that current pay rate), and proving to the CO that you have stable, ongoing income that meets the requirement.

For the K-1 visa, it could be enough to simply show the tax transcript, as for some consulates, that is all you need to prove income for the I-134. Not sure what they want in Sydney, so you should research for your specific consulate. When it comes time for the I-864 later for AOS after you are married, then that will not be enough. The joint sponsor will need to prove their current annual income meets the 125% requirement, and a letter promising to work enough hours will not cut it.

Thank you for your response. I have read that sydney hardly looks at the i-134 so fingers crossed this will be okay.

Timeline

Hi tommy92! I am also going through Sydney and am barely qualifying on my own for the support qualifications. Please keep us updated on how much they look at that at the interview! And good luck :)

Timeline

Hi tommy92! I am also going through Sydney and am barely qualifying on my own for the support qualifications. Please keep us updated on how much they look at that at the interview! And good luck :)

will let you know how it goes, i have heard Sydney is one of the more relaxed consulates so fingers crossed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.