dylanforseth

Entering on a B2 after K1 is issued, don't want to move yet?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I have my interview next month, so I will for sure have my visa the first week of November pending the interview goes well. I can't move until January as I'm going on a Vacation in December to Mexico and won't be able to return home to fly out of here that quickly if I enter the US on my K1. I also am a student and need to finish this semester I have already paid for.

So my question is, after my visa is granted (first week of November), say I wanted to go and visit my Fiance mid-November, can I just enter as a B2 visit and not use my K1. And then enter on the K1 when I move down in January, or will they require me to enter as a K1 no matter what once it is issued?

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I think you have a chance at a land border. I'm pretty sure that if you are flying, they'll make you use your K-1.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Hi there,

I have my interview next month, so I will for sure have my visa the first week of November pending the interview goes well. I can't move until January as I'm going on a Vacation in December to Mexico and won't be able to return home to fly out of here that quickly if I enter the US on my K1. I also am a student and need to finish this semester I have already paid for.

So my question is, after my visa is granted (first week of November), say I wanted to go and visit my Fiance mid-November, can I just enter as a B2 visit and not use my K1. And then enter on the K1 when I move down in January, or will they require me to enter as a K1 no matter what once it is issued?

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you!

There were some Canadians that made that work, since they don't really need a visa to get in.

But in my experience, I got my passport back with the k1 visa and my b1/b2 was cancelled.

I would not visit the fiancé after having the k1 visa on the passport but without the intention to stay. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You're not supposed to have two valid visas at a time, so your B visa should be cancelled once your K visa is issued. If someone else got in on a B visa, they got lucky! I would recommend that you not chance it. I hope your interview goes well!

Timeline

You're not supposed to have two valid visas at a time, so your B visa should be cancelled once your K visa is issued. If someone else got in on a B visa, they got lucky! I would recommend that you not chance it. I hope your interview goes well!

In Canada, we are VWP (Visa Waiver Program) so we don't need a visa to enter the United States, we just select visitor on the sheet/screen in the customs hall. So I don't know if that would change anything.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oooooh, good point! I looked up information about ESTA/VWP and couldn't find an exact answer. But I found this phone number. Maybe you could call and ask? "You may call the CBP Info Center at (202) 325-8000 or 1-877-227-5511"

In Canada, we are VWP (Visa Waiver Program) so we don't need a visa to enter the United States, we just select visitor on the sheet/screen in the customs hall. So I don't know if that would change anything.

Timeline

Oooooh, good point! I looked up information about ESTA/VWP and couldn't find an exact answer. But I found this phone number. Maybe you could call and ask? "You may call the CBP Info Center at (202) 325-8000 or 1-877-227-5511"

Great! I will give them a call tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

No Canadians are not VWP.

We are just admitted as a B1/B2 without having to apply for a visa. That's different than VWP.

Beyond that this is a very specific Canadian question so I'm moving it to the Canada regional forum.

~~moved to Canada regional forum from K1 process and procedures~~

Whether you have to activate your K1 or not will depend on the CBP officer you encounter. Most Canadians try to make this a land crossing so they're not out the plane ticket cost if they aren't allowed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

I got my K1 visa and my B2 B1 visa was still valid. I did not see any stamp to revoked

I am not sure if you can do that but you can ask an immigrant lawyer.

You also can postpone the interview. I did and it was not problem at all.

Edited by Shazada

Timeline

If you really don't wanna take any risks, why don't you postpone your interview?

This date is the only date that works as I have two international trips, one in November and one in December as well as school (final exams, etc.,) so I need to have my passport back for the dates I'm traveling overseas.

It's okay, he will just have to come and visit me! :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a very canada-specific topic, since Canadians do not need visas or even the VWP to enter. Canada is unique from every other country in that regard.

Having said that, OP, assuming you are a canadian citizen, you should not have a problem entering the US without using your K1 visa at a land border. My fiancee did it about a month before she entered on her K1, when we attended my friend's wedding in Michigan. I drove from NY to ON, picked her up, and then we drove on through Detroit to the wedding. The CBP officer didn't bat an eye when I mentioned that she had a K1 visa in her passport, but is just visiting. It didn't cause us any problems when she entered using the K1 the next month.

Having said that, of course, your results may vary!

September 2014 - Met

October 2014 - Started dating

May 2015 - Engaged!

July 18, 2015 - Mailed I-129F petition

July 21, 2015 - Received by USCIS lockbox

July 23, 2015 - Email/Text notification, NOA1 Notice Date - July 27, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA1

August 6, 2015 - NOA2, I-129F petition approved!

August 7, 2015 - Email notification of approval

August 12, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA2

September 3, 2015 - Case # received from NVC, case sent to Montreal

September 15, 2015 - CEAC status updated

September 15, 2015 3:41 PM - Packet 3 sent to consulate pre-emptively

September 15, 2015 3:51 PM - Packet 4 received! Interview scheduled!

November 23, 2015 - Interview - APPROVED!!

November 30, 2015 - CEAC status updated to Issued

December 3, 2015 - Ready for Pickup at Post Office

December 9, 2015 - Visa in hand!

January 10, 2016 - POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo NY

January 23, 2016 - MARRIED! durring a blizzard in Brooklyn :)

February 5, 2016 - Mailed AOS/AP/EAD applications

Spoiler

February 15, 2016 - NOA1 texts/emails received - February 25, 2016 - NOA1 hardcopies (Notice Date: Feb 11)

March 9, 2016 - Biometrics

April 18, 2016 - EAD/AP Approved

July 15, 2016 - I-485 Approved! No interview

July 29, 2016 - Green card received in mail - Done with USCIS for 1 year 9 months!

April 25, 2018 - Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Spoiler

May 18, 2018 - Received NOA1/12mo GC extension

June 20, 2018 - Biometrics

August 6, 2018 - Received 18mo GC extension

April 29, 2019 - Text notification "Card is in production"

May 2, 2019 - "We mailed your new card"

May 6, 2019 - 10 year GC received!

November 1, 2019 - N-400 filed online

October 23, 2020 - Oath Ceremony. Our journey is done after 5 years, 3 months and 5 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.