Akigi01

MARRY IN USA and go back to my country

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My boyfriend wanted to get married in the usa. I only have one week vacation leave. Can we get married during my vacation leave and i will go back after getting married. I dont want to adjust my status yet snce i am enjoying my job in the philippines. Will there be a problem when the time comes I wanted to adjust my status? Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No problem at all, plenty of tourists get married in the USA and it is perfectly legal as long as you don;t try to use your tourist visa to marry AND STAY.

Do look into the wedding requirements where your fiance lives/ you want to get married though; in some, it may take longer than a week to get the paperwork done; afaik, even Las Vegas takes 3 days.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

We managed it within a week, just.

I arrived on Tuesday evening. Wednesday morning we fit the licence. There is a 3-day waiting period in WA so the earliest we could get married was Saturday. Got married Saturday morning. Hand carried the certificate to the auditor on Monday morning and got it signed and sealed. Flew back to the UK Tuesday with my certified copy of the marriage certificate. Had we not been able to hand carry the certificate to the office on Monday, we would have waited several weeks for the certificate.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My boyfriend wanted to get married in the usa. I only have one week vacation leave. Can we get married during my vacation leave and i will go back after getting married. I dont want to adjust my status yet snce i am enjoying my job in the philippines. Will there be a problem when the time comes I wanted to adjust my status? Thanks

Are you using B1/B2 to enter US? Your guys can check the requirements and should start to make an appointment (if necessary, here in SD no walk-ins are entertained) for the specific date to get a marriage license, if there are slots available, you can also get married on the same day when you get the license. Here in SD you should file the Marriage License together. So he can set an appointment on the days you are in SF.

The other comments are correct, no problems will be encountered since you will be going back; but on POE if you mentioned you will get married and go back- that may cause denial of entry. I assumed you know that. Then later on your husband can file CR1 for you, that may take 1-2 years.

I have a great job in Makati before I moved here on K1 and got married. I had my Visa in January 2016 and worked until end of May 2016. It was not easy, moving our entire life from PH to here and leaving a career I build for myself. I do understand what you are going through. Now I am still processing my AOS/ AED/ AP - this is my longest vacation in my entire life! 3 months and 3 weeks and counting.

Good luck!

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you using B1/B2 to enter US? Your guys can check the requirements and should start to make an appointment (if necessary, here in SD no walk-ins are entertained) for the specific date to get a marriage license, if there are slots available, you can also get married on the same day when you get the license. Here in SD you should file the Marriage License together. So he can set an appointment on the days you are in SF.

The other comments are correct, no problems will be encountered since you will be going back; but on POE if you mentioned you will get married and go back- that may cause denial of entry. I assumed you know that. Then later on your husband can file CR1 for you, that may take 1-2 years.

I have a great job in Makati before I moved here on K1 and got married. I had my Visa in January 2016 and worked until end of May 2016. It was not easy, moving our entire life from PH to here and leaving a career I build for myself. I do understand what you are going through. Now I am still processing my AOS/ AED/ AP - this is my longest vacation in my entire life! 3 months and 3 weeks and counting.

Good luck!

yes I am, I wanted to bring him in the philippines instead because he's sick. its better if I will take care of him here. Im going to visit him again but he wanted to get marry in the US before I return. My next plan is to convince him to go back to the philippines.. lol

You won't have a status to adjust to while living in Philippines.

He'd have to apply for CR-1 visa for you when you're ready to immigrate to the US.

yes thats better for us..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.