104 posts in this topic

I was in college that year and there was a program called work and travel in USA .that's how I applied because I didn't know English .program was only 3 months and I left without problem but nobody took the card back .

No one would take that card back but I still don't get why you got a SSN. As a visa holder you wouldn't need it. I needed it because my roommate who was US citizen moved out of the apartment so I became the main tenant and to register for the electricity company I needed a SSN. It doesn't really matter now anyways.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

J1 is work authorised for that particular sponsor, so gets a SSN, SSN is for life.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

J1 is work authorised for that particular sponsor, so gets a SSN, SSN is for life.

I didn't get a SSN as a J1 holder, I assume because I didn't get any money for it. I got my SSN a month before I left the US.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

That's what exactly they told me:."SSN is for life"

So even 5 years after I still get in trouble applying for visa?

I have a question : if I apply for K1 visa do I have to apply for 212(I) and 601 waivers ? What is the process I should follow ?

You first file for K1. At the interview the officer will determine whether you are eligible to file a waiver and hand you a paper which shows your inadmissabilities. Afterwards you file that waiver at the USCIS office in Nebraska. The waiver is not a DIY, you should at least consult a lawyer that helps you with it especially given the fact that I feel like you don't know anything about how to do something like that. Also, Boiler recommended you a good waiver page "immigrate2us". They have examples for waiver letters.

Yes you will have to file a 601 waiver as well. As I said before. Sit down and look whether you can even prove extreme hardship to your fiancé as that is pretty difficult for a young couple with the beneficiary coming from an industrialized country.

Yes you have a SSN for life just like your Alien registration number if you ever got one (you won't have any yet, just an example). You will always keep the same one and it can not be taken away from you as it is there to prove your identity.

Timeline

You first file for K1. At the interview the officer will determine whether you are eligible to file a waiver and hand you a paper which shows your inadmissabilities. Afterwards you file that waiver at the USCIS office in Nebraska. The waiver is not a DIY, you should at least consult a lawyer that helps you with it especially given the fact that I feel like you don't know anything about how to do something like that. Also, Boiler recommended you a good waiver page "immigrate2us". They have examples for waiver letters.

Yes you will have to file a 601 waiver as well. As I said before. Sit down and look whether you can even prove extreme hardship to your fiancé as that is pretty difficult for a young couple with the beneficiary coming from an industrialized country.

Yes you have a SSN for life just like your Alien registration number if you ever got one (you won't have any yet, just an example). You will always keep the same one and it can not be taken away from you as it is there to prove your identity.

Yes you are right I have no idea how to do that .also we are talking about getting married at another country and wait for 5 years.we never had something like this so it's so complicated for us.let say if we got married and wait for 5 years till my banned over do I still need to apply for waivers ?

Also cbp officer took my social card and didn't give it back to me.

Yes you are right I have no idea how to do that .also we are talking about getting married at another country and wait for 5 years.we never had something like this so it's so complicated for us.let say if we got married and wait for 5 years till my banned over do I still need to apply for waivers ?

Also cbp officer took my social card and didn't give it back to me.

Have you looked into waivers and extreme hardship? I don't know much about your boyfriend so I'm just assuming when I say that I think it is difficult for you to prove hardship. Maybe it is not difficult for you. Have you looked into examples of how to prove hardship?

No after the 5 year ban is over you won't need a waiver anymore.

He took your SSN card. As far as I know you can apply for it again once you are allowed to be back in the States. You still will have the same number as that belongs to you for life.

Something like a hardship would be for example:

- your boyfriend is a doctor and would suffer extreme hardship if he would have to move to your country because in order to pursue his career in Turkey he would have to study medicine again in order to have a doctor license for turkey. This would be a big hardship because you could additionally prove that he would have to learn Turkish first, most likely have to pay a huge amount of money to study again and therefore be in debt, would lose his good reputation as a doctor in the States. He would have to pretty much start his entire career and studying from scratch.This would be a big plus for why HE can not move to your country.

- His mother is very sick and relies on the help from your boyfriend as he has been the one taking care of her in the past years. There is no other immediate relative that could take his place in taking care for his mother if he would have to move to Turkey to be with you.

These are just examples of hardships. I don't know your situation. Maybe you have a lot of harships and could try to get a waiver. They don't have to be as big as the ones I named. You can have also lots of small ones and with good evidence of these you could also win a waiver case. Every single person has hardships you just have to sit down and think of them.

Timeline

Something like a hardship would be for example:

- your boyfriend is a doctor and would suffer extreme hardship if he would have to move to your country because in order to pursue his career in Turkey he would have to study medicine again in order to have a doctor license for turkey. This would be a big hardship because you could additionally prove that he would have to learn Turkish first, most likely have to pay a huge amount of money to study again and therefore be in debt, would lose his good reputation as a doctor in the States. He would have to pretty much start his entire career and studying from scratch.This would be a big plus for why HE can not move to your country.

- His mother is very sick and relies on the help from your boyfriend as he has been the one taking care of her in the past years. There is no other immediate relative that could take his place in taking care for his mother if he would have to move to Turkey to be with you.

These are just examples of hardships. I don't know your situation. Maybe you have a lot of harships and could try to get a waiver. They don't have to be as big as the ones I named. You can have also lots of small ones and with good evidence of these you could also win a waiver case. Every single person has hardships you just have to sit down and think of them.

Thank you so much !!

Yes he has kind of situation about his mother.she is sick she had brain surgery years ago and she lost her memory .like she does remember past but post memory she doesn't good at it.we can work on that .but something really bother about my working history .everybody in this forum who replied my post thinks I knew I wasn't suppose to work and they say it will hard to convince officers that I didn't know it,but I really didn't know it .that will be really hard for me to get a waiver win right ? I never had this situation before now I m lost and reading lots of things to get an answers or help.like I can definitely prove my relationship is real .we lived together,we have friends families know us but I know that won't be help a lot.now he is Boston and looking for immigration lawyer who can help us .but still I feel like I mess my situation really bad and anything I do won't fix it.

Thank you so much !!

Yes he has kind of situation about his mother.she is sick she had brain surgery years ago and she lost her memory .like she does remember past but post memory she doesn't good at it.we can work on that .but something really bother about my working history .everybody in this forum who replied my post thinks I knew I wasn't suppose to work and they say it will hard to convince officers that I didn't know it,but I really didn't know it .that will be really hard for me to get a waiver win right ? I never had this situation before now I m lost and reading lots of things to get an answers or help.like I can definitely prove my relationship is real .we lived together,we have friends families know us but I know that won't be help a lot.now he is Boston and looking for immigration lawyer who can help us .but still I feel like I mess my situation really bad and anything I do won't fix it.

The part about proving your relationship whether you go the K1 or CR1 route will be easy. The difficult part will be to win a waiver case.

You can try to convince the officer that you really didn't know that you weren't allowed to work but in the end you will have to file a waiver anyways (for the overstay and deportation) so it doesn't really matter that much whether you can convince him or not. I just don't know whether they can slap you with another inadmissability that I am not thinking of right now.

I would just never go that far and use that argument that you said that none of the officers ever explained you that you were not allowed to work when you showed your SSN as I think that officer you are explaining it could get offended.

The situation with his mother could be a potential good hardship argument if he's been taking care of her in the past and you can prove that there is no other relative that can take care of her if he leaves. If you add other smaller hardships why he can't move to Turkey which should be easy to find, especially given the current political situation there, you can make a strong argument why he can not move to Turkey. Now the difficult part is to prove why he needs to have you in the States. If you can only prove that he can not move to where you are but there's no hardship that he will suffer if you can not be with him in the US, USCIS is pretty much just gonna say "Well have a nice distant relationship!"

So in the example we have now about his mother that argument could be: Your fiancé/spouse has a sick family member and will be unable to care for that person without your support. Ideally you would've helped him take care of his mother before because without your help he wouldn't be able to continue his studying/ full-time job.

Other examples would be: Your fiancé/spouse is experiencing clinical depression as a result of your immigration situation. Your fiancé/spouse has financial debts in the United States and cannot pay them without your support. The last two arguments are weaker but still good arguments if you have enough evidence that supports them.

Timeline

The part about proving your relationship whether you go the K1 or CR1 route will be easy. The difficult part will be to win a waiver case.

You can try to convince the officer that you really didn't know that you weren't allowed to work but in the end you will have to file a waiver anyways (for the overstay and deportation) so it doesn't really matter that much whether you can convince him or not. I just don't know whether they can slap you with another inadmissability that I am not thinking of right now.

I would just never go that far and use that argument that you said that none of the officers ever explained you that you were not allowed to work when you showed your SSN as I think that officer you are explaining it could get offended.

The situation with his mother could be a potential good hardship argument if he's been taking care of her in the past and you can prove that there is no other relative that can take care of her if he leaves. If you add other smaller hardships why he can't move to Turkey which should be easy to find, especially given the current political situation there, you can make a strong argument why he can not move to Turkey. Now the difficult part is to prove why he needs to have you in the States. If you can only prove that he can not move to where you are but there's no hardship that he will suffer if you can not be with him in the US, USCIS is pretty much just gonna say "Well have a nice distant relationship!"

So in the example we have now about his mother that argument could be: Your fiancé/spouse has a sick family member and will be unable to care for that person without your support. Ideally you would've helped him take care of his mother before because without your help he wouldn't be able to continue his studying/ full-time job.

Other examples would be: Your fiancé/spouse is experiencing clinical depression as a result of your immigration situation. Your fiancé/spouse has financial debts in the United States and cannot pay them without your support. The last two arguments are weaker but still good arguments if you have enough evidence that supports them.

So the waiver part will be hard to get it.so I shouldn't make an argument about I worked and didn't know that .see the thing is I was working because he needed my support .I wasn't working in beginning I start to work 2014 and even that year I left the USA and came my country and went there without problem .he really needed my help because if I wasn't working he could of face getting homeless .we are around 25 th years old and it's hard to get everything you need . I m not trying to get a sympathy but that was the facts we were facing at that time.

I don't know at this point what to do .now he will apply for K1 visa and he said he is looking for lawyer to help us to apply for waiver.I don't have any criminal record or something like that ,also I paid all taxes when I was working .do you think that would help to win waiver ? I m so sorry I know I sound like know nothing but I really need to know so I can prepaid about my case.

So the waiver part will be hard to get it.so I shouldn't make an argument about I worked and didn't know that .see the thing is I was working because he needed my support .I wasn't working in beginning I start to work 2014 and even that year I left the USA and came my country and went there without problem .he really needed my help because if I wasn't working he could of face getting homeless .we are around 25 th years old and it's hard to get everything you need . I m not trying to get a sympathy but that was the facts we were facing at that time.

I don't know at this point what to do .now he will apply for K1 visa and he said he is looking for lawyer to help us to apply for waiver.I don't have any criminal record or something like that ,also I paid all taxes when I was working .do you think that would help to win waiver ? I m so sorry I know I sound like know nothing but I really need to know so I can prepaid about my case.

Yes, the K1 is easy to get especially because you've been living a long time in the States so you and your boyfriend had a lot of face to face time. The waiver will be tough, but it's difficult to predict that because we don't know what inadmissabilites the officer might deny you for.

You can of course always make the argument that you didn't know. It's just that apart from the fact that it is really difficult to prove you didn't know any better, you will still have to get the waiver for the overstay and deportation.

Okay, that's a good thing you were supporting him. What proof do you guys have that you were supporting him with your money?! Did you make bank transfers to his bank account, because that would be great.

If you guys can collect enough evidence that he needs to be in the U.S. to support his mother with her illness and needs you for financial support (and probably emotional), I'm sure a lawyer can make a great waiver out of that. There are people with a lot less strong arguments getting waivers approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.