Jump to content
Mother in pained

question about how to petition the daughter of a spouse us citizen

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi i just wanted to know if my husband can petition my daughter (she's not my husband's daughter, she is 8 years of age) she was left in the philippines when me and our daughter (my husband daughter) migrated here in US last june 18, 2016 because we did'nt know that she can be petition together with us, what are the steps on how to petition her?, and if she will be approved is it ok that i am the one accompany her to travel here in the US? or we need both me and my husband must accompany her to enter here in the US? thank you... please help i want my daughter to be petition soon she's to young to be left :(

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have your USC husband file I-130 for his step daughter.

Removal of Conditions Journey

3/3/2009 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to CSC

3/5/2009 - I-751 received in CSC

3/9/2009 - Check cashed

3/20/2009 - Biometrics notice received (no NOA1)

4/2/2009 - Biometrics

4/9/2009 - NOA1 date (first undelivered one is 3/5)

4/3/2009 - Touch?

5/6/2009 - ROC Approval - 65 days

6/22/2009 - CRIS Card production ordered email

7/7/2009 - GC arrived!

Naturalization Journey

3/03/2010 N400 sent to Arizona Lockbox

3/15/2010 Check cashed

3/17/2010 NOA1

3/18/2010 - Biometrics notice sent

3/26/2010 Early biometrics done at an ASC different from the one assigned to (Original BIO date was 4/15)

4/30/2010 Yellow letter received and info from USCIS mil line they are working on my interview letter (6/17 appt)

5/1/2010 Text and email interview letter sen

5/6/2010 Interview letter received - scheduled for 6/17/2010 at 10:05am

6/17/2010 Interview appointment - PASSED

6/29/2010 US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi milimelo! not yet beacuse we want to be sure first what to do... after we gather all of the information we needed we will start the petition process... that's why im seeking for help and information to all of you so there will be no delay in filing the petition.. thank you.. i want to know if he can file the IR2 category even if the child is not his daughter?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the same process as IR2? because in filling up the forms i know its complicated because any mistakes can delay the processing.. i was told in us embassy in manila that if i have to petition my daughter it should be my husband because he is already a citizen and also in filling up the support form (i cant remeber that form) it should be my details not my husbands details because i am the mother is it right? this is the steps we have to be sure so it won't delay the process.. my husband only know how to petition his daughter we don't any idea on how to petition a stepdaughter... thank you so much for the help and info...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a U.S. citizen and the Father or Step Parent of the child or son or daughter, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

- Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

- A copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport

If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either:

your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or

your U.S. passport

- A copy of the child's birth certificate showing the child's name and the names of both parents

- A copy of civil marriage certificate showing the names of both parents, or proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed (if you are petitioning for a stepchild, your marriage to the child's parent must take place before the stepchild's 18th birthday)

- A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that establish the termination of any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse

- Fathers petitioning for a child born out of wedlock must provide evidence that a parent/child relationship exists or existed. For example, the child's birth certificate displaying the father's name, evidence showing that the father and child at some point lived together, or that the father held out the child as his own, or that he has made financial contributions in support of the child, or that in general his behavior evidenced genuine concern for and interest in the child. A blood test proving paternity may also be necessary.

- If anyone's name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.


Since it is your USC husband filing the I-130, he will be the one submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support during the Consular Processing.

Read the I-130 Instructions carefully, especially 8.Stepparent/Stepchild part.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.