Dean_De

I-130 for stepson/stepdaughter

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Happy New Year everyone!

I have a question for anybody who have the info. My husband & I would want to submit the application for my son. That's I-130, right? Anyway, since I am not a US Citizen yet, it would be my husband who will petition him as his stepson. Question:

1. My son's name is long, it doesn't fit in those boxes for the First name. Do I have to make an attachment just for that?

2. In Question "A.2 Are you related by adoption?" I answered NO, since she is his stepson and was not legally adopted by him. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. for D.2 " Have you ever petitioned for this or any other alien? " Aside from me, he petitioned his Ex-wife like 22 years ago. he cannot remember the date and place it was filed. Should we include that?

4. Can anybody please write/reply/ advice me here a sample table of content for this kind of petition.

5. Also, how long does it take for this petition to get approved? My son is in Tacloban City & the situation there is not even close to ok so I would really like him to be here and continue his studies but have enough time before hopefully he starts school here.

6. What are the documents or papers my son need to bring for on the interview? I need to know it in advance just incase we need to send him additional document by mail.

7. Also, sorry to think ahead, what papers or document does he need inorder to be able to enroll on schools here, he is right now a 2nd year high school in Tacloban but I know school system i different here.

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Dhel

Happy New Year everyone!

I have a question for anybody who have the info. My husband & I would want to submit the application for my son. That's I-130, right? Anyway, since I am not a US Citizen yet, it would be my husband who will petition him as his stepson. Question:

1. My son's name is long, it doesn't fit in those boxes for the First name. Do I have to make an attachment just for that?

2. In Question "A.2 Are you related by adoption?" I answered NO, since she is his stepson and was not legally adopted by him. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. for D.2 " Have you ever petitioned for this or any other alien? " Aside from me, he petitioned his Ex-wife like 22 years ago. he cannot remember the date and place it was filed. Should we include that?

4. Can anybody please write/reply/ advice me here a sample table of content for this kind of petition.

5. Also, how long does it take for this petition to get approved? My son is in Tacloban City & the situation there is not even close to ok so I would really like him to be here and continue his studies but have enough time before hopefully he starts school here.

6. What are the documents or papers my son need to bring for on the interview? I need to know it in advance just incase we need to send him additional document by mail.

7. Also, sorry to think ahead, what papers or document does he need inorder to be able to enroll on schools here, he is right now a 2nd year high school in Tacloban but I know school system i different here.

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Dhel

We have the same Case, My USC husband just filed I-130 for my son as a stepson.

#1.. My husband was the one who has a long name, so we just typed the last name and middle name and left the first name blank, after we printed the application, my husband just handwritten his long name on the black line provided for the first name.

#2 is right

#3 my husband petition his parents before but it was long time ago, so we just inputted my fiancé petition. I could be wrong but this is what i wrote coz it's only one line in there :) Anybody here, correct me if i'm wrong. :)

#4.. this is what we sent on our petition:

- Filled & signed I-130

- G-1145

- Filing fee of $420

- my son's NSO Birth Certificate

- our certificate of marraige

- my husband's copy of Certificate of Naturalization

- We included my Husband's copy of his passport's biographic data

- my husband's certified divorce decree

- I wasn't married before but have a son so I don't have any divorce decree or annulment.

- i sent 3 pictures of me, my husband and my son (not required but sent it anyway)

I never sent any picture ID for myself as I thought it wasn't relevant as I wasn't the petitioner. Although you can send a copy of your GC.

#5.. there's a processing chart here in VJ, I couldn't find a chart solely for step son but i found an I-130 processing time. Click the link below:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ir1cr1historical

#6.. NVC should send you a checklist and forms to fill up after the approval. (Some VJers here should be able to enumerate them)

#7.. I suggest you go to the school where your son might go and ask for information.

Good Luck!

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

#5.. there's a processing chart here in VJ, I couldn't find a chart solely for step son but i found an I-130 processing time. Click the link below:

the following below is from the USCIS website...

USCIS Reminds Filipino Nationals Impacted by Typhoon Haiyan of Available Immigration Relief Measures
Release Date: November 15, 2013

In light of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines (named “Yolanda” by Philippine authorities), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) would like to remind Filipino nationals that they may be eligible for certain immigration relief measures if requested.

USCIS understands that a natural disaster can affect an individual’s ability to establish or maintain lawful immigration status in the United States. Therefore, Filipino nationals impacted by Typhoon Haiyan may be eligible to benefit from the following immigration relief measures:

• Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
  • Extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;
  • Extension of certain grants of advance parole, and expedited processing of advance parole requests;
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs);
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and
  • Assistance to LPRs stranded overseas without immigration or travel documents, such as Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards). USCIS and the Department of State will coordinate on these matters when the LPR is stranded in a place that has no local USCIS office.

For more information on USCIS humanitarian programs, visit www.uscis.gov or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>>> It says we can request to have the case expedited since my son lives currently in Tacloban. iw as trying to call USCIS but got no luck in asking about infos on how to request the case to be expedited. Anybody here knows how to request for case t be expedited? Thank you!!!

the following below is from the USCIS website...

USCIS Reminds Filipino Nationals Impacted by Typhoon Haiyan of Available Immigration Relief Measures
Release Date: November 15, 2013

In light of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines (named “Yolanda” by Philippine authorities), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) would like to remind Filipino nationals that they may be eligible for certain immigration relief measures if requested.

USCIS understands that a natural disaster can affect an individual’s ability to establish or maintain lawful immigration status in the United States. Therefore, Filipino nationals impacted by Typhoon Haiyan may be eligible to benefit from the following immigration relief measures:

• Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
  • Extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;
  • Extension of certain grants of advance parole, and expedited processing of advance parole requests;
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs);
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and
  • Assistance to LPRs stranded overseas without immigration or travel documents, such as Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards). USCIS and the Department of State will coordinate on these matters when the LPR is stranded in a place that has no local USCIS office.

For more information on USCIS humanitarian programs, visit www.uscis.gov or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>>> It says we can request to have the case expedited since my son lives currently in Tacloban. iw as trying to call USCIS but got no luck in asking about infos on how to request the case to be expedited. Anybody here knows how to request for case t be expedited? Thank you!!!

Yes. I've seen I-130 approved in 17 days... I hope somebody here from VJ would reply if there's a form to fill up for expedited processing, my son lives in Cebu but we weren't really badly damaged by Haiyan as we are in Cebu City area.

Good luck to you!

Edited by merkin78
event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Question

The I-130 for my wife was just approved, but for Step Son I-130 application is still pending.

Is it a normal procedure for USCIS to approve your spouse first then your step son I-130 application on different days?

Anyone knows or anyone petitioning spouse and step son/daughter at the same time?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.