USAUAinCZ

Is it possible to start the k1 process if you don't live in the USA or in your SO's home country?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I would say asking here for other ppls experiences, such as yours, is part of doing the research. I don't see the need for the condescending tone to your fellow visajourney members.

There has been a lot of misinformation lately so I am just being blunt.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey everybody,

Just found out about this website and so far just reading has been super helpful, great community!

My girlfriend and I have been living in Prague, Czech Republic for the past 4 years together. We both want to move to the USA in the next 2 years. We have decided the K1 visa route seems like the best way to go. So my question is this, is it possible to do this process if we both do not live in our home countries? Can we do everything needed here in Prague or will we have to go to France(her home country)for some stuff?

Also, we have no idea where we want to live in the USA, will this matter? I work in IT so I'm hoping it won't be so difficult for me to find work regardless of where we go.

Thanks for the help!

Hi! I just wanted to give you my input, not sure if you got the answers you needed.

My boyfriend and I have been living together in France for the past year (I know not 4 years like you have but anyways) and we filed for the k1 in june and just got approved in august. We filed for the France embassy even though my fiancee's home country is Italy.

We had no problems, I did not have to show intent to move back to the US. I have no lease, apartment, or anything in my name there, except my license which is still valid and my bank account is still open there, but I did not have to show these items either. My family still lives in the US, but we too are not sure where we will live so for the address on the k1 we just put my parents address and no questions were asked. We will have our interview hopefully next month, and all they asked for is the standard paperwork they ask for the k1 interview. We also will have a cosponsor since I do not have a job there, and won't have one when my fiance moves.

You will have to get some documents from France, but not sure if it is absolutelty necessary to travel to France. As others have said, you need the police certificate from all countries your fiance lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 16. For france, you will need to get the casier judiciare bulletin n3 (https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20) which is free and mailed, and usually you will receive it in a few weeks. Since France also provides updated birth certificates, I imagine you will also need to order one that is less than 3 months old for the interview. However for you, both of these are down the line and not needed for the initial k1 packet.

In my opinion, I do not think your case will pose a problem if you decide to go with the k1 route, and from what I've seen, those that have filed now are getting relatively quick approvals.

Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi! I just wanted to give you my input, not sure if you got the answers you needed.

My boyfriend and I have been living together in France for the past year (I know not 4 years like you have but anyways) and we filed for the k1 in june and just got approved in august. We filed for the France embassy even though my fiancee's home country is Italy.

We had no problems, I did not have to show intent to move back to the US. I have no lease, apartment, or anything in my name there, except my license which is still valid and my bank account is still open there, but I did not have to show these items either. My family still lives in the US, but we too are not sure where we will live so for the address on the k1 we just put my parents address and no questions were asked. We will have our interview hopefully next month, and all they asked for is the standard paperwork they ask for the k1 interview. We also will have a cosponsor since I do not have a job there, and won't have one when my fiance moves.

You will have to get some documents from France, but not sure if it is absolutelty necessary to travel to France. As others have said, you need the police certificate from all countries your fiance lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 16. For france, you will need to get the casier judiciare bulletin n3 (https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20) which is free and mailed, and usually you will receive it in a few weeks. Since France also provides updated birth certificates, I imagine you will also need to order one that is less than 3 months old for the interview. However for you, both of these are down the line and not needed for the initial k1 packet.

In my opinion, I do not think your case will pose a problem if you decide to go with the k1 route, and from what I've seen, those that have filed now are getting relatively quick approvals.

Best of luck!

thanks for the response! Glad to hear it went well for you so far. Hopefully ours goes as easily as yours.

Is the embassy helpful at all? Would they be good for me to talk to here in Prague?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.