Aaron Marie

OCD/Suicide Attempt and Immigration

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just found out that any sexual position other than missionary is also illegal in Florida... who knew?

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
Of course I know the OP is from the UK. Just making him aware that it's not a joke.

Please point me to the part of the OP's post which suggested that either they, or their fiance, consider suicide to be 'a joke'. I'd love to see it, as I must have missed it the first time round.

Ahem....Who was it that make the attemped suicide law a joke? *cough*

Now, he's probably inferring this in your confusing post earlier that no such law exist. So he probably neglected it in his mind. But, my post is to make him aware not to disregard my comments. You are an adult. You should understand. I don't have to explain.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There is no way for the Doctor to know your fiancee's past medical history unless he discloses it. They generally do a psyhe (SP) evaluation to see if he is mentally fit (make sure he isn't looney).

By the way....millions of people have OCD (including me) so I wouldn't be concerned. If OCD was such a big issue during the interveiw process, you'd certainly here about it on this forum. I think they are looking for physical forms of lunacy such as people telling them they hear voices that tell them to kill people, alien abductions etc..

I'd relax and not fixate to much on the medical exam or you too may get OCD.

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Of course I know the OP is from the UK. Just making him aware that it's not a joke.

Please point me to the part of the OP's post which suggested that either they, or their fiance, consider suicide to be 'a joke'. I'd love to see it, as I must have missed it the first time round.

Ahem....Who was it that make the attemped suicide law a joke? *cough*

Now, he's probably inferring this in your confusing post earlier that no such law exist. So he probably neglected it in his mind. But, my post is to make him aware not to disregard my comments. You are an adult. You should understand. I don't have to explain.

You need to relax and stop taking everything you read in the US literally. Yes, Massachusettes has some crazy laws that were enforced decades ago but have never been taken out of the law books.

Cite one article or case law where MA has imprison someone for attempting suicide and explain to me how it's illegal to have sex in any other position other than missionary when MA is a state that allows GAY marriages.

Edited: For grammer

Edited by s2convt

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Technically, it's illegal and could earn you jail time in most states, but most of the time hospitalization is what happens instead. Most of the time it is recognized that it's useless to put someone in jail instead of a hospital for that.

:blink: I have never in my entire life heard of suicide attempts as being jail time worthy. That's ridiculous! What state could be so cold and callous? I agree with the others to just get the medical release from the psychologist and then don't worry about it! ....

Life isn't perfect for anyone that I know!

GOOD LUCK!! :thumbs:

I just found out that any sexual position other than missionary is also illegal in Florida... who knew?

Uh oh :o I'm in trouble

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

For you information, and the un-informed....Massachusetts is where that law is active. Find out first before you make assumptions. This is where people look dumb.

For whom was this message intended? :huh:

I know in my State, attempted suicde earns you jail time.

Thanks for the encouragement. :o

Just so you know, I was well aware that attempted suicide was illegal in some states. My comment was intended to be taken as cheeky. ;)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Pretty much every State has laws that are beyond bizarre and sometimes completely nuts, but even if found unconstitutional, because of the way US law is drafted and made, such things are rarely withdrawn so they may lie on the books for all time. That doesn't mean they have any validity or force. Those that define 'acceptable' sexual practices are a good case in point. Not only are they unenforceable, but as a result of US Supreme Court opinions in recent years, have become ineffective.

In the US, what is, and isn't 'law' is not just about what is listed on the statute books.

As such, even if there WERE an active law criminalising suicide in any given State, immigration law is Federal. It does not have to recognise State law in such an area, and indeed does not. Immigration law lays down the basis on which a visa application can be denied, and whilst mental illness has a tangential part in the potential for rendering an applicant ineligible, such would only be the case if the individual was a danger to him/herself. In a situation where there was medical evidence of good control and no recent (ie, within the last 5 years) deviations from safe and effective treatment, there would be no grounds for such an ineligibility finding.

Details on what medical grounds DO constitute ineligibility can be found at http://www.visalaw.com/04mar1/2mar104.html and for those with a broader interest, the broader areas in which there can be grounds for inadmissibility can be found http://www.visalaw.com/05apr1/2apr105.html

hey consolemaster,

You got a little heart now on your member status thingee bar, can you stop with the pointless posts now?

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

hey consolemaster,

You got a little heart now on your member status thingee bar, can you stop with the pointless posts now?

Could this be some sort of record, d'ya think? :unsure:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:pop:

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Pointless?

If you think by acknowledging someone's success pointless, then I feel sorry for you guys. None of my post is pointless.

Some people think that's the whole point of pointless, at least that is just my point of view. Others think maybe it would be wise to point you in a direction that smells the best, not that I'm pointing a finger at you because to do that would be, well, pointless.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.