15 posts in this topic

hi! my husband & i have a 41 years age gap..is there any one in the same situation? just wondering if you experience more difficulty immigration-wise? are they more skeptic for this kind of case?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think they will deny you, but they might ask more questions at the interview. It's not the age thing alone, it's whether or not the AO is convinced that your relationship is a real one. I'm not, however, saying to you that yours isn't.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

I agree with what Karen said. The age difference might be something that is of focus during the interview. There is a current thread in the K-1 visa forum about this same topic.

hi! my husband & i have a 41 years age gap..is there any one in the same situation? just wondering if you experience more difficulty immigration-wise? are they more skeptic for this kind of case?

Let's not sugar coat this: Yes, you should probably expect them to be skeptical that you are not just marrying him for the Green Card.

The fact is that you're a 20 year old marrying a 61 year old, and you're from the Phillipines, where the highest number of people committing immigration fraud come from. On paper you are a textbook case of immigration fraud. You should expect the interview, if you have one, to reflect this. The burden of proof that you are not commiting fraud lies on your shoulders. Be very prepared.

Edited by dr_lha

I also agree with everything they said. Im also from the Philippines, and I know that there are some that wants to marry someone for immigration purpose only or to bail out from poverty. But of course not everyone, theres always an excemption to the rules. Actually,its not that theyre goin to deny you, but they will just make sure that your relationship is not fraud. But dont let it bother you. If you know that your relationship is true you have nothing to worry :).

06/17/05 NOA2 approved online

07/18/05 embassy recvd date

12/13/05 k1 packet recieved

12/14/05 advance medical exam

01/04/06 medical exam

01/11/06 interview date 6:30 am AR

02/10/06 Visa on hand

02/14/06 arrived Texas

03/17/06 recieved SSN card

04/15/06 church wedding

AOS (DORA) Dallas Tx.

06/22/06 AOS Interview approved!!!

07/26/06 Biometrics

08/23/06 Recieved welcome letter

08/29/06 Recieved Greencard

03/09/07 Got Driver's License

05/15/08 Sent I-751 to Texas Service Center

05/19/08 Delivered

05/21/08 Check Cashed

06/04/08 Received NOA

06/04/08 Received Biometrics appointment date

06/14/08 Biometrics

06/17/08 Transferred to Vermont

07/22/08 Touched

11/13/08 Touched

03/27/09 Approved...Card production ordered

04/02/09 Approval notice got in the mail

04/03/09 Received Greencard

08/12/2008- our precious little girl was born!!!!

jeff and ann

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/g...a108617_3_0.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be prepared for at least some questions about the age difference between you both.

And looking at your profile here on VJ, you say that you hardly knew each other, except for a few emails and a lunch, and then some partying.

I hope you have lots of evidence to prove that you now have a bona fide marriage.

Good luck to you both.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

I would be prepared for at least some questions about the age difference between you both.

And looking at your profile here on VJ, you say that you hardly knew each other, except for a few emails and a lunch, and then some partying.

I hope you have lots of evidence to prove that you now have a bona fide marriage.

Good luck to you both.

:blink:

Ditto the good luck...!

SA4userbar.jpg

Good luck to you both.

[/quote

we know each other very well..we spend together (as in live together) for 5 months in the philippines before i came here..

Good luck to you both.

[/quote

we know each other very well..we spend together (as in live together) for 5 months in the philippines before i came here..

Good luck to you both.

[/quote

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Everything is going to depend on your interviewer. Everything. If you get an open-minded officer who doesn't care, then you may not even be asked about the age gap.

I am in an age gap marriage myself, and I'll tell anybody anytime that age gap marriages work just as well as non-age gap marriages, but 41 is a lot of years, so don't be surprized if your IO asks about it.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Jewel12

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Hi,

At least on the manual of the adjuticators , at least for removal of conditions, big age difference is something among other things, that they keep an eye on...

Edited by meredith pa

Permanent resident with10 year greencard 

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I have a 39 year age difference. We spent 5 months together in the PI's twice for a total of 10 months. We experienced no questions about the age gap! But it is unusual in western culture, so do not be afraid of some questions. Maybe the interviewer is curious or maybe the interviewer is looking for a wife for himself or father!!

Do not be afraid of the interviewer. They are trying to do a job. To keep undesireable individuals out of this country. If you are honest and not trying to scam the system. You have nothing to fear.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.