iamrioxo

Advice? K-1 Visa: What to expect?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey,

My fiance lives in ME, I'm from England, UK.
We've filled out the application form for the K1 after much talking and consideration, due to me having children from a previous relationship.
After careful consideration we have decided it would be a better option for me and my children to move to the states.
When my fiance visited his local USIS office, they said it could take anything from 12 to 14 months, obviously this was slightly heartbreaking, as we are already at such a distance, and we still have no idea what to expect.

Can anyone just please lend me advice and not all the websites seem to give a very detailed aspect of what is needed or how long this process roughly takes. My embassy website is literally telling me I have five steps and thats it. Makes it all seem like a walk the park, I've read blogs about peoples experiences and I'm now at a whim. I feel so lost amongest all these words I read on a screen, along with the headaches of staring at the screen. I'm a firm believer in faith, I have been praying an awful lot to just get through the long distance, I really don't want to lose the life and soul of me, my second half to me, especially when times are about to become very very stressful.

Any advice is so greatly appreciated. I'm sure plenty of us are in the same boat here.

Ri. x

HI timings will depend on how smoothly your application goes how well you fill in forms provide the right information. the guides above are excellent it tells you what to do what to expect. mine took 6 months first time- at london embassy then it was put on hold for 18 months while i sorted out court stuff re daughter now its full steam ahead. Are you applying for K2 visas do have permission/ allowed to immigrate with the children- will the other parent object try to put stop to it- thats what slowed us down. so please make sure your covered there,

if you look at other peoples timelines on Visa journey it will also give you a fair idea of timescales. good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI timings will depend on how smoothly your application goes how well you fill in forms provide the right information. the guides above are excellent it tells you what to do what to expect. mine took 6 months first time- at london embassy then it was put on hold for 18 months while i sorted out court stuff re daughter now its full steam ahead. Are you applying for K2 visas do have permission/ allowed to immigrate with the children- will the other parent object try to put stop to it- thats what slowed us down. so please make sure your covered there,

if you look at other peoples timelines on Visa journey it will also give you a fair idea of timescales. good luck

Yes - I sought legal advice/help before filling out the visa forms due to having the ex issue - we've managed to legally secure his written permission and he's been as helpful as an ex partner can be. So yeah, i'll also be applying for visas for the children too. I knew this would be the biggest problem because unfortunately my ex partner isn't a desired one if that, and rarely sees the children - Since we broke up he's only seen his children twice, and doesn't pay a single penny towards the children, so I figured he would be the hardest to conquer, so having just come out of all that legal proceedings were fun. Now this K1 and everything else to go through, its caused alot of stress already! However we are still strong standing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is very unusual for a K1 to take over a year; 5-7 month is more likely at the moment, assuming it is a smooth case and you make no mistake with the forms which causes them to ask for more evidence.

The person your fiance spoke to may have been thinking of the CR-1 spousal visa, which currently takes just over a year.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.