Da & Ra

Can we travel outside USA with only EAD card and not Green Card?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We are awaiting to receive the EAD for my husband this week as our status saying our card has been mailed. My question Can we travel overseas while my husband has only EAD and not his GreenCard?

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Neither you need the advanced parole to leave the country until you get your green card ... If you applie for EAD and the AP at the same time then it will come as a combo card and it can be used for leaving the country but if you only applied for the EAD and not the AP then no it can't not be used to leave the country

Edited by Moslund

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

Timeline

Neither you need the advanced parole to leave the country until you get your green card ... If you applie for EAD and the AP at the same time then it will come as a combo card and it can be used for leaving the country but if you only applied for the EAD and not the AP then no it can't not be used to leave the country

I am not sure if my lawyer applied for the Ap along with EAD, I will check with him, Thanks for your reply.

Timeline

I am not sure if my lawyer applied for the Ap along with EAD, I will check with him, Thanks for your reply.

You would of got a a case number for it just like for the AOS and EAD... Also when your EAD card comes at the bottom of the card if it's a combo card it will say "serve for advance parole"

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Timeline

You would of got a a case number for it just like for the AOS and EAD... Also when your EAD card comes at the bottom of the card if it's a combo card it will say "serve for advance parole"

i did not get a case number for Ap so i guess he did not apply for it , Once i get the EAD card i will check it, Thanks for the information, very helpful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If they didn't you need to get all your money back and dont talk to them again. It's complete common sense and free to do.

Timeline

If they didn't you need to get all your money back and dont talk to them again. It's complete common sense and free to do.

to be honest , this lawyer is a crook , all he does is collect money and at the end all i get help from is from visa journey.

Timeline

Allot of lawyers by default don't file for it cause the risk factor and they stress that it's highly not recommended to travel so from a legal standpoint there trying to protect there client from a possible horrible situation... I hired a lawyer Although my lawyer was like there no point to it cause there a high risk with traveling I ultimately requested he filed it regardless but atleast he had the decency to tell me and the reasoning behind it but he respected my wishes and filed it anyway... Even tho yes you can travel for whatever reason you choose it's technically not meant to be used unless it's emergency situation which if that occurs you can get an AP at an info pass appointment approved instantly... Back to my point a lawyers standpoint it's meant to be used for emergency situations only so why file the AP when you can get an instant approval of the situation was to arise... That's there mindset

Edited by Moslund

Timeline

You can still file for AP if you want to. As stated before, he will only be allowed back in if he has an AP document or green card

How long that will take ? thanks

Timeline

How long that will take ? thanks

on average 90days from them receiving it... but if an emergency came up with a family member you can get an info appointment show proof of emergency and get an approval immediately... Remember to send acopy of your NOA on your I-485 so its free

Edited by Moslund

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Allot of lawyers by default don't file for it cause the risk factor and they stress that it's highly not recommended to travel so from a legal standpoint there trying to protect there client from a possible horrible situation... I hired a lawyer Although my lawyer was like there no point to it cause there a high risk with traveling I ultimately requested he filed it regardless but atleast he had the decency to tell me and the reasoning behind it but he respected my wishes and filed it anyway... Even tho yes you can travel for whatever reason you choose it's technically not meant to be used unless it's emergency situation which if that occurs you can get an AP at an info pass appointment approved instantly... Back to my point a lawyers standpoint it's meant to be used for emergency situations only so why file the AP when you can get an instant approval of the situation was to arise... That's there mindset

In a way wrong. If you have issues with your case then yes it is not recommended to travel. But if you have done it the right way (for exampled adjusting from a K1) the they expect you to travel and you shouldn't have any issues with it whatsoever. This is at least what I have been told by USCIS (not customer service, actually going to an info pass). It's when you stay out too long that you'll get in some serious problems.

It is the Emergency Advance Parole you can only use in emergencies. Regular Advance Parole is for travel anywhere you want, you don't even have to state a reason on your Advance Parole application.

Timeline

on average 90days from them receiving it... but if an emergency came up with a family member you can get an info appointment show proof of emergency and get an approval immediately... Remember to send acopy of your NOA on your I-485 so its free

Good Idea. My husband dad is not doing well and my husband is worried his dad might die before he get to see him again. Will see if we can get a proof of emergency and try to get an approval sooner than 90 days.

Timeline

In a way wrong. If you have issues with your case then yes it is not recommended to travel. But if you have done it the right way (for exampled adjusting from a K1) the they expect you to travel and you shouldn't have any issues with it whatsoever. This is at least what I have been told by USCIS (not customer service, actually going to an info pass). It's when you stay out too long that you'll get in some serious problems.

It is the Emergency Advance Parole you can only use in emergencies. Regular Advance Parole is for travel anywhere you want, you don't even have to state a reason on your Advance Parole application.

yes, we worry about my husband leaving outside USA because we been thru alot and we dont want to take chances, Thanks for sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.