Skull

N-400 August 2016 Filers

1,617 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
10 minutes ago, MikloGoesLegit said:

Just came back from my interview as well. Here's my experience:

I came in 30 mins early as the notice says to do. Once I went through the metal detector I went to get in line for interviews. I noticed a sign saying not to go up to the counter earlier than 15 minutes before the scheduled time, (1 PM in my case) but after standing to the side for a few minutes the lady at the counter asked anyone who had a 1 PM interview to come up. I got a number and went upstairs.

Once upstairs you have to go to the right side, the left side is for people taking the oath.

I waited for almost exactly 30 mins before my number was called. I used that time to go through the study guide for the civics test. I did notice that some people who got there after me got their number called before me, so try to be there 30 mins prior, like the notice says and babyduck also duly pointed out.

She greeted me nicely with a smile, then made some small talk on the way to the interview room. There was someone waiting inside the room, as my IO would let me know, this was a senior officer supervising the interview, so it's good to know that they are hiring new IOs for Seattle cause of what had been reported about a lot of them quitting earlier this year. The supervising officer limited her interaction to greeting me, observing, and saying goodbye when the interview was over.

My IO was very cordial and personable which made the interview much smoother and eased my apprehension a bit. She asked me for my passport and green card, flipped through it, then asked me to stand up, raise my hand and swear to answer all the questions with the truth. My notice said to bring my wife's birth certificate, our marriage certificate as well as any additional supporting evidence I would like to add, but she only asked for my passport and green card.

She asked me to read out loud a question on a piece of paper, and then to write down the answer for it, which she provided. After that I answered 6 questions from the civics test correctly, and she informed me I had passed.

She then asked me my birth date and my wife's. We talked about places my wife and I had lived and why we moved to Seattle. She asked me about my job and my wife's, we spoke for a bit about how we had met and our relationship. Then she asked me that barrage of questions to which you're supposed to say no to, such as "are you a terrorist?" and many more of that sort. Then came the questions you're supposed to say yes to such as "are you ready to serve for your country if need be?" those weren't nearly as many.

She then asked me about my travel history, I had listed the last 6-7 countries I had been to but I guess I didn't provide a full list of them, just the ones that fit in the space given on the form. I did declare the full number though. They say to affix an appendix if the space provided is not enough, with a full list of the countries and dates and I thought I had but it's been so long I honestly can't remember if I did or not. She said at that point I would normally be recommended for approval or not, but since they didn't provide my full travel history they would have to mail me a letter requesting it. I said I could pull it up from my phone if they gave me a few minutes, and she allowed for me to write them all down (luckily I keep pictures in my phone of all my international travels) while she conducted her next interview. I went back to the waiting area and wrote it all down. 

Seriously, that was all on me. I could have brought my old passport but I didn't, and my travel history would have been a non-issue. Also, if I did forget to include the full list on the application, that too is on me. Folks, if you are not doing this with a lawyer, you need to be fastidious about every section of your application, otherwise you risk unnecessary delays.

She gave me a printout that said I had passed the tests but a decision could not be made. She explained they would review my travel history and see if it checked out, then make a decision, and I should be hearing from them in the mail. I felt quite drained and disheartened. By the time I got home I had some emails saying to check my account online. I logged in and my status had changed to in line for oath scheduling! 

I can't wait to be done with this, good luck everyone. We just have to be patient, the rest is not up to us but we have to remember we are almost done.

You did a much better job than me with your explanation @MikloGoesLegit.

It totally slipped my mind, but I could have spared you the travel-related headache. My husband's boss went for his Natz interview last week and faced the same issue where they told him that they would mail a letter asking for updated travel details. I travel a lot for work (I have been to 8 countries since my N 400 receipt date), so I prepared a "Travel Addendum" with a list of my trips, exact dates I was out of the country, specific countries that I visited as well as my upcoming trip in May. I mailed a copy of the travel addendum to the Seattle field office (with my interview notice, so they know where to file it). I also took a copy to the interview. My IO was super happy that I sent it the documents ahead of time. He said he typed in all of that info in my file and reviewed it even before I came in to the interview saving both of us a lot of time. I should have given you a heads up! But all's well that ends well!

I am starting a new job next week, so I also sent it an "Employment Addendum" as well.

Anyway, to others reading this, send any updates ahead of time (not too early, send it about 1-2 weeks prior to the interview when the local field office gets your file) and also take copies to the interview. 

@MikloGoesLegit I got a notification that my oath was scheduled. I expect we will be back there on the same day again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 4/18/2017 at 5:35 PM, babylotus said:

My interview went well. I requested name change so Im still waiting for the oath letter. I talked to the lady while waiting and I saw they handed her oath letter like 30min after the interview. Her oath ceremony is gonna be this thursday, which is approximately a week after her interview. This could be a good new to those who dont request name change. Im surprised you havent heard anything from them. But I think you will as late as the end of this month. Some people said they didnt receive any email or text message so make sure you are checking your mail box frequently. Hope you will hear from them soon. Goodluck!!!!

good to know.  thank you very much!  I will give them a call soon if i don't hear anything from them.

thank you again.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline
14 hours ago, SL&SP said:

Yes. IOE gives you internet updates, as opposed to the NBC. Only the NBCs got an "in line" update. My finger prints were September 15th and my interview was April 17th (notified March 10th). So 7 months from finger prints to interview. 

My priority date is August 23rd. 

OK Thanx.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
14 hours ago, babyduck said:

You did a much better job than me with your explanation @MikloGoesLegit.

It totally slipped my mind, but I could have spared you the travel-related headache. My husband's boss went for his Natz interview last week and faced the same issue where they told him that they would mail a letter asking for updated travel details. I travel a lot for work (I have been to 8 countries since my N 400 receipt date), so I prepared a "Travel Addendum" with a list of my trips, exact dates I was out of the country, specific countries that I visited as well as my upcoming trip in May. I mailed a copy of the travel addendum to the Seattle field office (with my interview notice, so they know where to file it). I also took a copy to the interview. My IO was super happy that I sent it the documents ahead of time. He said he typed in all of that info in my file and reviewed it even before I came in to the interview saving both of us a lot of time. I should have given you a heads up! But all's well that ends well!

I am starting a new job next week, so I also sent it an "Employment Addendum" as well.

Anyway, to others reading this, send any updates ahead of time (not too early, send it about 1-2 weeks prior to the interview when the local field office gets your file) and also take copies to the interview. 

@MikloGoesLegit I got a notification that my oath was scheduled. I expect we will be back there on the same day again!

Hey no worries, it did stress me out for an hour or two, but honestly, we have so much going through our minds with this process on top of everything else, it requires almost inhuman focus and attentiveness to think about others' processes and what might help them. I do appreciate all the info you've shared on this forum as well as through PMs.

I should have known that my travel history would come up, my wife is a flight attendant so we travel a lot as well, I have been to twenty some countries since I became a resident so I really should have paid more attention and considered this would be something they'd want to review. In the end things played out normally so I am thankful for that. 

I do hope we get to take the oath the same day! keep me posted. As of now, my account says "USCIS has scheduled your oath ceremony and will mail you the appointment notice."

Edited by MikloGoesLegit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

During my interview, I updated my travel history. since I have made two trips after I filed my n-400 application. the officer asked me for the dates and how long i stayed outside the US. I gave her all the information that she asked and she displayed it in the Ipad and I signed it to verify. 

by the end of the interview she gave me a print out that say I have passes the test and my application is recommended for approval. The thing is it been more than a week and I did not get any update. my status still your "we scheduled an interview for your form n-400"

Has anyone experienced such a thing? because normally people gets update right after the interview. I am little worried that there will be more delay in the process :(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I called USCIS today, and ask for the FO current processing time.  I was told the same information that i can find from the USCIS website - processing cases as of date 06/20/2016.  So i pointed out that as of 02/28/2017, the FO is processing 06/10/2016 cases.  the operator told me 06/10/2016 cases are currently what they are processing, and she told me if i look at the bottom right corner of the page, it says "last updated: April 18, 2017".  based on her, as of 04/18/2017, FO is still processing 06/10/2016 cases, and 02/28/2017 date doesn't really mean anything.  

I really don't think so, my understanding from the website is 04/18/2017 is the last time USCIS were able to update the website, and they provided the information as of 02/28/2017.  I requested the L2 operator to call me back, but it sounds like it will be a while.  Can anyone here back me up while I am waiting the call back?  I am a little worried right now.

thank you all! 

3 hours ago, Luaytm said:

During my interview, I updated my travel history. since I have made two trips after I filed my n-400 application. the officer asked me for the dates and how long i stayed outside the US. I gave her all the information that she asked and she displayed it in the Ipad and I signed it to verify. 

by the end of the interview she gave me a print out that say I have passes the test and my application is recommended for approval. The thing is it been more than a week and I did not get any update. my status still your "we scheduled an interview for your form n-400"

Has anyone experienced such a thing? because normally people gets update right after the interview. I am little worried that there will be more delay in the process :(

Sent you a message

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi all happy to report I'm an August 10 filer and was approved today at the Los Angeles Office.  The whole interview lasted 17 minutes, the IO was delightful, I was asked (paraphrasing):

How long is a US Senator elected, Name One Branch of the Government, Who Serves if Prez/Vice Prez can't, How Many Amendments to Constitution, How Many Chief Justices, What is Rule of Law.

Received text message in parking lot about 10 minutes after interview I would be receiving an oath letter, I'll write more detail later but if you're an LA Office Interview it went smoothly, on time and trouble free.  My visa journey is a month away from setting in the sunset.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Hi all happy to report I'm an August 10 filer and was approved today at the Los Angeles Office.  The whole interview lasted 17 minutes, the IO was delightful, I was asked (paraphrasing):

How long is a US Senator elected, Name One Branch of the Government, Who Serves if Prez/Vice Prez can't, How Many Amendments to Constitution, How Many Chief Justices, What is Rule of Law.

Received text message in parking lot about 10 minutes after interview I would be receiving an oath letter, I'll write more detail later but if you're an LA Office Interview it went smoothly, on time and trouble free.  My visa journey is a month away from setting in the sunset.

Congrats! Do you know if the oath letter is uploaded in our account? I got the text notification on Wed, but not letter yet.

Timeline
Just now, babyduck said:

Congrats! Do you know if the oath letter is uploaded in our account? I got the text notification on Wed, but not letter yet.

Letter won't be uploaded in my account, but you can find out based on your city when the oath ceremonies are scheduled by doing a Google search online of your city and "naturalization ceremonies", mine is scheduled for May 23.

Timeline
Just now, ChristianZane said:

Letter won't be uploaded in my account, but you can find out based on your city when the oath ceremonies are scheduled by doing a Google search online of your city and "naturalization ceremonies", mine is scheduled for May 23.

My city does 2 oath ceremonies daily. I have no way of finding out which day.

Timeline
1 minute ago, babyduck said:

My city does 2 oath ceremonies daily. I have no way of finding out which day.

Oh ok you're one of the "administrative oaths scheduled regularly", so I guess you will have to wait, in Los Angles they schedule them once a month at Convention Center with 5000 people.

18 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Woohooaa! Yay! Congrats!

4 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Yep for sure its May 23, either morning or afternoon! 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Oh ok you're one of the "administrative oaths scheduled regularly", so I guess you will have to wait, in Los Angles they schedule them once a month at Convention Center with 5000 people.

Wow 5000 people!! The oath ceremony in Seattle is not grand at all. It's held in the same area as the Natz interview waiting room. I witnessed it while I was waiting. They made everyone (less than 50 people)  recite the oath and distributed the Natz certificates. Took 10 minutes total lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.