drchiro73

Cancel K1 Visa after Marriage.

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If he decided to divorce her, sorry, it's not his problem her legal status. And yes, he needs to be aware she could call the police on him about anything trying to get VAWA

Sorry, but you may have missed my earlier post where I said that he doesn't have an immigration problem.

She doesn't have to call the police on him to file under VAWA.

Video and sound recordings are very strong proof of what takes place during an altercation. Seek a voice recode in the store and a neat video recorder, simple to use and not ovious to use is Beam. Just some added protection.

I believe California (where the OP is located) is one of the few states that requires both parties to consent to the recording of a conversation or phone call.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

I believe California (where the OP is located) is one of the few states that requires both parties to consent to the recording of a conversation or phone call.

You are correct on this.

It's a crime in California to record any communication where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy without the consent of all parties.

A conversation that is recorded would not be admitted in any proceedings against her.

The OP would be committing a crime if he was to record a conversation of his wife without her consent.

He could meet with her in public and make the recording as now she is in an open public space, "where the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded". He could make the statement with the intent to communicate to her that at times their conversations maybe recorded. Then he is granted the right to record because now she has knowledge. See the O'Laskey's test.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/2002691117CalRptr2d574_1640/FLANAGAN%20v.%20FLANAGAN

:ot2: The OP has some good suggestions and now needs to ponder what he will do. The suggestion to always have someone with him whenever he had a conversation with her is the best idea till he disposes of this situation. You never know what a "scorned" women will do.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

He could meet with her in public and make the recording as now she is in an open public space, "where the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded". He could make the statement with the intent to communicate to her that at times their conversations maybe recorded. Then he is granted the right to record because now she has knowledge. See the O'Laskey's test.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/2002691117CalRptr2d574_1640/FLANAGAN%20v.%20FLANAGAN

:ot2: The OP has some good suggestions and now needs to ponder what he will do. The suggestion to always have someone with him whenever he had a conversation with her is the best idea till he disposes of this situation. You never know what a "scorned" women will do.

Generally, people do not discuss and fight about their pending divorce in public. Why on earth would she want to discuss her marriage in public when they are living together?

When you are living with someone, why would you take your fight out in public?

Generally, people do not discuss and fight about their pending divorce in public. Why on earth would she want to discuss her marriage in public when they are living together?

When you are living with someone, why would you take your fight out in public?

Yes generally people would not do that. And yes people usually do not fly airplanes into buildings. Do couples not go out to have dinner in public? Can they not try and have a civil conversation?

I am not looking for a response. It's more important for the OP to get his answer then us splitting hairs on his dime.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Everything that OP needs to do it's to calm down, think well and decide if he still wants this marriage. If he decides the divorce, go to the lawyer and divorce, calm, polite and see if you can get the child's custody.

One thing is more easy about the divorce, it's he still didn't apply for her GC, no affidavit of support for years.

All conversions recording it's only in case of the war, don't go there, it's not good for anybody, specially the child

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If there is a physical altercation then yes you can have her removed from the residence. You can (and in some states I believe it may be mandatory) file for a protection order for both yourself and your son. Even without a physical altercation you can still be granted a temporary protection order but you will have to demonstrate a threat of physical harm or fear for your safety or the safety of your son. At that point she would only be allowed to return to the residence under police supervision to retrieve her belongings.

I lived through this nightmare once and you would be surprised how easy it is to get a temporary protection order approved. I think its much easier for the females but if you have proof of threats or better yet proof of physical abuse then it will most likely be granted. Your wife will not be present when you file and she will not know about it until she is served. You will have to return to court in a few weeks for a hearing to grant permanent status of the protection order. This is where you will need to be squeaky clean and armed with proof. Luckily for me I had overwhelming proof that the TPO was filed with malicious intent and it was immediately dismissed.

Im just giving you more information for your situation and not at all implying you should fabricate a story to remove your wife from your house. Good luck with this. Sounds like a nightmare.

Sorry to sound rude buddy, but the red above struck me as odd. You claim to be a highly educated professional, but marrying someone who didn't finish school... hmm.

I understand love is blind.. but still.

With a dependent family, incl being unskilled, she of course is going to go "all in" for permanent residency.

I have multiple college degrees and my husband just finished the equivalent of high school in the UK.

It's not as odd as you may think.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

I have multiple college degrees and my husband just finished the equivalent of high school in the UK.

It's not as odd as you may think.

It's just uncommon, and I simply noted so.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~As the OP has only posted to start this thread and has not been on since, all the advice that can be given has been said. This thread will now be closed to further discussion. If the OP comes back he is able to start a new thread.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.