Sun Wukong

A Few Quick Questions

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I just started the K1 visa process, and so far the help I have gotten here has been phenomenal! I am currently filling out my I-129F and G-325A, and have a few questions left.

1) On the the I-129F, there is a question (34.a.) Asking how my fiance and I met. My current response is the following, handwritten (kind of small) on the three lines provided- "We met during my undergraduate study abroad trip to Beijing in 2014. I returned to Beijing from February 2015 to- May 2016. During this time we started dating." To my understanding, this is technically ok (I think!), but would it be more advantageous to attach a separate sheet with more info? Could a lack of info cause me problems?

2)I have a different last name on my passport than on my drivers license (XXXXX as compared to XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX). I assume I should put the last name on my passport, however I am wondering if I should put the other name in "part 1 9.a. other names used". This last name is not due to a divorce or previous marriage or legal name change, It just seems to be written differently in a few places. So I am wondering if I should include it in section 9.a. or if it is unnecessary/ could slow down the process?

3) Next, I was wondering how in depth the residence history and work history have to be on the G-325A? Technically, I have only had one "official" part time job while I was in college, and I have no idea how to get the information pertaining to that job. I also moved to several different apartments and dorms while I was in College, and I don't really remember all of the different apartment room numbers and the exact dates that I lived in each place. Would it be ok if I just put the address of the apartment complex without the room number? Also I'm assuming I shouldn't include any "unofficial" part-time work such as working at a mom and pop restaurant and at a small local car dealership if I don't have paperwork for these places on file somewhere? Is that correct?

4) Lastly, last year I was living in China. Do I place my Chinese address in the "Applicants Residence Last Five years" section on the G325-A and in the "Applicant's Last Address Outside the United States for More than 1 Year." section? (Place it on the form twice?)

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I appreciate it!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone! I just started the K1 visa process, and so far the help I have gotten here has been phenomenal! I am currently filling out my I-129F and G-325A, and have a few questions left.

1) On the the I-129F, there is a question (34.a.) Asking how my fiance and I met. My current response is the following, handwritten (kind of small) on the three lines provided- "We met during my undergraduate study abroad trip to Beijing in 2014. I returned to Beijing from February 2015 to- May 2016. During this time we started dating." To my understanding, this is technically ok (I think!), but would it be more advantageous to attach a separate sheet with more info? Could a lack of info cause me problems?

2)I have a different last name on my passport than on my drivers license (XXXXX as compared to XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX). I assume I should put the last name on my passport, however I am wondering if I should put the other name in "part 1 9.a. other names used". This last name is not due to a divorce or previous marriage or legal name change, It just seems to be written differently in a few places. So I am wondering if I should include it in section 9.a. or if it is unnecessary/ could slow down the process?

3) Next, I was wondering how in depth the residence history and work history have to be on the G-325A? Technically, I have only had one "official" part time job while I was in college, and I have no idea how to get the information pertaining to that job. I also moved to several different apartments and dorms while I was in College, and I don't really remember all of the different apartment room numbers and the exact dates that I lived in each place. Would it be ok if I just put the address of the apartment complex without the room number? Also I'm assuming I shouldn't include any "unofficial" part-time work such as working at a mom and pop restaurant and at a small local car dealership if I don't have paperwork for these places on file somewhere? Is that correct?

4) Lastly, last year I was living in China. Do I place my Chinese address in the "Applicants Residence Last Five years" section on the G325-A and in the "Applicant's Last Address Outside the United States for More than 1 Year." section? (Place it on the form twice?)

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I appreciate it!

1. That is plenty of information for them, you do not need to provide them an essay. Short, sweet, and to the point.

2. I would fill the documents using the name as it appears on your Passport. It is a stronger document in terms of identification.

3. Include as much information as you can for legal work (off the books work that was not reported to the IRS by the employer is not legal work) If you worked for these places "unofficially, and they reported your income to the IRS whether as an actual employee, or as a contractor, then you are required to list them on the form. If there are gaps between employment dates that were supplemented with off the books work, fill it as Unemployed.

Here is the VJ sample G-325a http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-G-325A.pdf

For the residence fill in as much information as you can remember, if possible try and dig through old emails, or bills, or even speak with family members to see if them can remember your apartment numbers. If all else fails just list the address of the complex without the number.

4. If you resided in China for a duration greater than 1 year, then yes you will need to put the address in both locations. Otherwise you will only need to include it in the First residence section.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

1) The answer is fine, but remember you have to submit evidence of having met within the last two years as well.

2) Yes, include it.

3) List residences as detailed as you can. List all jobs. Be honest.

4) Yup, in your case you will be listing it twice.

Good luck!

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Look into everthing

the costs: $340 for the application

$265 for the visa

and $1070 for the AOS after coming to the US

also need to know the financial responsibities mean you need income for household of 2 $20025 to meet the 125% over poverty level

or you need a cosponsor

and you are required to print all names used use(any situation) under alias names on the form

Good luck

1) I would write your small description, and then attach a separate letter written, signed and dated by you describing your relationship in more detail (how you met, how your relationship progressed, etc.) as part of your relationship proof.

2) Yes, put your the name on your passport for the main one, and put what is written on your drivers license under "other names used"

3) Sorry, I don't know the answer to this!

4) This one either

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.