MordecaiRigby

Traveling with a cat - questions for people who flew with their cat in the cabin

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

hi there just wondering did you get your cat the rabies vaccine? also did you get your papers from pettravel.com or did your vet just write up their own letters/record of vaccinations etc?

Yes, the rabies vaccine is the one that the CBP wants to see. The rabies shot must be given 30+ days before travel (no less than 30 days before travel or the cat might get quarantined).

I did not use any papers from pettravel.com. I actually wrote my own "Pet health and immunization certificate" document and asked my vet to sign it (of course she thoroughly checked that all info was accurate) because I wanted to have this document in English and I didn't feel like paying for another certified translation. Obviously, since you're from Ireland, you won't have this problem ;) The health certificate that I put together contained the following:

- data of the owner (first name, last name, address, phone number)

- data of the cat (name, breed, age, color, sex)

- Information that the cat is in good general health and free of signs of any communicable diseases

- info on all the recent immunizations (dates, names of vaccines, names of diseases that they are against, manufacturer)

- contact info for the vet (name, address, phone number, signature, stamp, preferably on letterhead, although mine wasn't and it was OK too)

Document should be dated as close to the travel as possible (definitely no more than 2 weeks). Mine was dated 8 days before travel.

January 2011 - met in USA

Sep 28, 2013 - wedding in Poland

USCIS:

Sep 23, 2015 - mailed I-130 package to Chicago lockbox

Nov 3, 2015 - I-130 approved (29 days from NOA1)

Nov 12, 2015 - received NOA2 via snail mail

NVC:

Jan 2, 2016 - DS-261 submitted

Feb 6, 2016 - DS-260 submitted

CONSULATE:

Apr 26, 2016 - medical exam

May 10, 2016 - interview at the Embassy in Warsaw, Poland - result: APPROVED!

May 16, 2016 - visa in hand

POE:

Jul 23, 2016 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

NATURALIZATION:

Dec 16, 2019 - filed N-400 online

Feb 24, 2020 - naturalization interview in Phoenix, AZ

Mar 10, 2020 - naturalization oath ceremony in Phoenix, AZ

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I wanted to thank you for creating this thread and reporting back about your experience. This helps me a lot as I will be traveling to the US with my cat as well, and have been extremely nervous about something happening to her or issues with paperwork etc.

:) I hope my experience goes as well as yours!

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Just came across this thread and we are travelling to the US (Chicago) from London with our cat in a couple of weeks. He has to go in the hold though not the cabin.

I'm interested that you said you had to show evidence of the rabies vaccine? It says on the CDC website that it's not needed: http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/cats.html and Illinois said it's not needed either: https://www.agr.state.il.us/international-import-requirements-for-dogs-and-cats/

Edited: also found this https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/56/~/pets---cats

Can I ask where you found out that the CBP wanted to see it? We don't have time to get our cat the vaccine now and we won't be able to fly with him if this is the case :(

Many thanks for your help!

LW x

Yes, the rabies vaccine is the one that the CBP wants to see. The rabies shot must be given 30+ days before travel (no less than 30 days before travel or the cat might get quarantined).

I did not use any papers from pettravel.com. I actually wrote my own "Pet health and immunization certificate" document and asked my vet to sign it (of course she thoroughly checked that all info was accurate) because I wanted to have this document in English and I didn't feel like paying for another certified translation. Obviously, since you're from Ireland, you won't have this problem ;) The health certificate that I put together contained the following:

- data of the owner (first name, last name, address, phone number)

- data of the cat (name, breed, age, color, sex)

- Information that the cat is in good general health and free of signs of any communicable diseases

- info on all the recent immunizations (dates, names of vaccines, names of diseases that they are against, manufacturer)

- contact info for the vet (name, address, phone number, signature, stamp, preferably on letterhead, although mine wasn't and it was OK too)

Document should be dated as close to the travel as possible (definitely no more than 2 weeks). Mine was dated 8 days before travel.

Edited by LondonWelsh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

When I flew with my cat from Peru to the US in November, the airline wanted to see the health certificate, but the customs officers didn't ask for any paperwork, just took a look at the cat and sent him through. LondonWelsh, I found the same info you did, that there are no federal vaccination requirements for a cat and that state requirements vary (but most have no vaccination requirements either). If it were me, I would probably give the cat the rabies shot now, get a health and vaccination certificate, and then print out the official pages where it says there are no requirements for cats. I think you'll be fine, worse case scenario would be a quarantine but with cats there are really few concerns.

Thank you :)

I'm getting him seen at the vets 6 days before travel to get the health certificate so will ask about rabies vax. I had an inclination to print those pages and I think I will!

When I flew with my cat from Peru to the US in November, the airline wanted to see the health certificate, but the customs officers didn't ask for any paperwork, just took a look at the cat and sent him through. LondonWelsh, I found the same info you did, that there are no federal vaccination requirements for a cat and that state requirements vary (but most have no vaccination requirements either). If it were me, I would probably give the cat the rabies shot now, get a health and vaccination certificate, and then print out the official pages where it says there are no requirements for cats. I think you'll be fine, worse case scenario would be a quarantine but with cats there are really few concerns.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi there!

Just came across this thread and we are travelling to the US (Chicago) from London with our cat in a couple of weeks. He has to go in the hold though not the cabin.

I'm interested that you said you had to show evidence of the rabies vaccine? It says on the CDC website that it's not needed: http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/cats.html and Illinois said it's not needed either: https://www.agr.state.il.us/international-import-requirements-for-dogs-and-cats/

Edited: also found this https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/56/~/pets---cats

Can I ask where you found out that the CBP wanted to see it? We don't have time to get our cat the vaccine now and we won't be able to fly with him if this is the case :(

Many thanks for your help!

LW x

Hi LondonWelsh,

In my case the rabies vaccine had to be administered because otherwise the cat wouldn't be allowed OUT of my country (one thing is what USA authorities want from you when you enter their country with cat, another thing is what the airlines want to see to even let the cat on board). The Polish certificate from the County Veterinarian Inspector had a question about rabies on it and it was specified on the airlines website that the pet needs to have had a rabies shot.

You are absolutely right - the CBP and CDC websites don't mention the quarantine (and there probably really isn't any for cats). I found the info about quarantine on the website of the airline I was traveling with. It says: "NOTE! In case of carriage of animals to the United States of America a 30 day-long quarantine since the last vaccination against rabies is required." http://www.lot.com/us/en/travelling-with-pets That information is probably either outdated, or it only pertains to dogs, and not all pets. My bad, sorry.

However, even though my cat was not examined by anyone at the Chicago airport upon arrival (I didn't even have to take him out of his container), the CBP officer asked about the cats documents and they were thoroughly examined.

January 2011 - met in USA

Sep 28, 2013 - wedding in Poland

USCIS:

Sep 23, 2015 - mailed I-130 package to Chicago lockbox

Nov 3, 2015 - I-130 approved (29 days from NOA1)

Nov 12, 2015 - received NOA2 via snail mail

NVC:

Jan 2, 2016 - DS-261 submitted

Feb 6, 2016 - DS-260 submitted

CONSULATE:

Apr 26, 2016 - medical exam

May 10, 2016 - interview at the Embassy in Warsaw, Poland - result: APPROVED!

May 16, 2016 - visa in hand

POE:

Jul 23, 2016 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

NATURALIZATION:

Dec 16, 2019 - filed N-400 online

Feb 24, 2020 - naturalization interview in Phoenix, AZ

Mar 10, 2020 - naturalization oath ceremony in Phoenix, AZ

Hi Mordecai, thanks for your reply!

We are flying American Airlines and they don't have any specific requirements other than the certificate of health - I'll fly with that and his other documents. I think we'll get him the rabies shot anyway to be honest but it'll only be 6 days before he flies, better safe than sorry though!

Hi LondonWelsh,

In my case the rabies vaccine had to be administered because otherwise the cat wouldn't be allowed OUT of my country (one thing is what USA authorities want from you when you enter their country with cat, another thing is what the airlines want to see to even let the cat on board). The Polish certificate from the County Veterinarian Inspector had a question about rabies on it and it was specified on the airlines website that the pet needs to have had a rabies shot.

You are absolutely right - the CBP and CDC websites don't mention the quarantine (and there probably really isn't any for cats). I found the info about quarantine on the website of the airline I was traveling with. It says: "NOTE! In case of carriage of animals to the United States of America a 30 day-long quarantine since the last vaccination against rabies is required." http://www.lot.com/us/en/travelling-with-pets That information is probably either outdated, or it only pertains to dogs, and not all pets. My bad, sorry.

However, even though my cat was not examined by anyone at the Chicago airport upon arrival (I didn't even have to take him out of his container), the CBP officer asked about the cats documents and they were thoroughly examined.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey everyone, joining in the topic here with a couple questions and an experience about flying with my cat in the cabin. :luv:

I just flew my cat over to my sister in Austria, who is now the owner. He flew in the cabin and it was.....kind of crazy. :content: However, it was such a short flight, I'm wondering if this would be possible on a longer flight to the US? So, here goes.

My cat, an Abyssinian, is leash trained. So he was in a harness with a leash the entire time. He absolutely freaked out during take off, which I read was normal. We had this carrier (soft shell zipped with a flat bottom) and during the flight he actually completely busted out of the carrier and the zipper became broken. He absolutely hates being in the carrier, and despite having a padlock on the zipper, he still busted out of it! I put him in my lap and the cabin crew were kind of upset about it, so I ended up putting him in an IKEA bag (those reusable shopping bags) with his head poking out and he just curled up on my lap in the bag and was completely chill for the rest of the flight. Didn't even meow, just slept in my lap for the 2.5 hours flight. I sort of tried to put him back in the carrier for landing, but since it was totally busted, it was just like holding the carrier over him while he was in my lap. He was calm and absolutely chill during the landing, probably because he felt close to me.

It was just so much easier with him not being in the carrier....I was wondering, did anyone manage to take their cats out of the carrier during the flight? Is it allowed, were you able to sneak it somehow? With our cat it just went from completely freaking out and meowing constantly inside the carrier to total silence and quiet outside of it. We actually had given the cat this "Stop Stress" medication before the flight....had almost not affect in terms of calming him down while in the carrier it seems.

Also, the poor kitty peed in the carrier a bit due to fear. And that was only a 2.5 hour flight!! I'm really concerned about when my sister takes him on the long haul to the States, 13 or so hours....we're debating whether or not to try another kind of sleeping pill/medication on the cat. I seriously think the cat would be much calmer if he could be in my sister's lap (like he was on mine) and I'm wondering if anyone else tried that during their experiences.

Also, if anyone used a tranquilizer/medication successful, what was the name? Let me know, thank you!

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.