wendya

Have any of you experienced this?

29 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to VJ and still gathering all the information I need to send in for the I-129F forms. It would be so easy but my dear finace has a complicated case. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and could offer some guidance. Here is the story.

My fiance is from Turkey. When he was in the U.S., he overstayed his visa by a 1 year 8 months. He did leave the U.S. on his own and went back to Turkey, but to complicate things more, while he was here, he got a driver's license and he also worked and to further complicate things, he even paid Income Tax. Which, by the way, I think was horrible for our government to accept since he did not have a social security number.

Anyway, I have all of his addresses while he was here in the U.S. and the dates of each one. Of course this will show that he was in the U.S. for almost 3 years. And while I was putting everything togehter last night to mail, it dawned on me that I am going to have to put his jobs he had here in the U.S. too. This is only going to raise one red flag after another. So I emailed him last night asking him for his jobs that he had while he was here in the U.S. (no doubt he was working without an AED)

So, my question to all is, has anyone had anything even a little similar to this situation and what did you do?

I am so fearful that it does not look good for us!!!

Thank you,

Wendy

06/2005 - Met in the U.S.

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/28/07 - Vermont Received

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

4/11/07 - Approved, NOA 2 mailed via snail mail

4/18/07 - NVC received approved I-129F petition

5/02/07 - Fiance received Packet 3

5/22/07 - Mailed I-134 and supporting evidence to Fiance

5/25/07 - I-134 papers arrive in Turkey to SO via UPS

5/29/07 - Packet 3 sent to American Embassy in Turkey

6/02/07 - Packet 4 received by fiance

7/16/07 - Interview in Ankara at 9:45 am

7/16/07 - Visa denied because of a previous overstay in US, must file I-601 waiver

8/16/07 - Delivered I-601 papers to US Embassy in Ankara

12/28/07 - Fourth visit to Turkey

11/22/08 - Still waiting on I-601 Waiver (16 months)

12/23/08 - Yilmaz received approval letter for his waiver in mail!!!

03/18/09 - 2nd IV interview in Ankara

03/18/09 - Visa approved. Will be sent via UPS to his home address

03/25/09 - Received visa at home address

04/18/09 - Arrival in U.S.!!!!!!

05/21/09 - Married on the beach in Hawaii

07/12/09 - Mailed AOS papers via FedEX

7/18/09 - NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

7/30/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

8/19/09 - Biometrics appointment @ 11 AM---COMPLETED

8/30/09 - AP approved (recieved 2 hard copies in mail on 9/5/09)

9/08/09 - EAD card received in the mail

10/16/09 - Touch from CSC

11/09/09 - Card production ordered

10/05/11 - Filed Removal of Conditions

07/31/12 - Removal of conditions APPROVED, card issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Wendy,

You might want to check out the waivers forum. I believe that you will have to file a waiver because of the overstay, the people over there will know more. Your situation is not uncommon.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Which, by the way, I think was horrible for our government to accept since he did not have a social security number.

he probably had an itin. or are you saying he should not pay taxes at all?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
Which, by the way, I think was horrible for our government to accept since he did not have a social security number.

he probably had an itin. or are you saying he should not pay taxes at all?

Yeah, why shouldn't he pay?? Even the illegals are paying . . . with someone elses SSN many times . . LOL, sorry, it is such a sore point at sometimes.

Not sure you can get the advice that you need in this particular forum, but it sounds like you have some work ahead of you to figure out how to get all this sorted out and explained during filing.

Good Luck!

Thank you. I will check out the waivers forum. Good suggestion.

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

7/16/07 - Visa denied because of a previous overstay in US, must file I-601 waiver

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Its not uncommon at all Wendy. Def good advice to check out waivers forum - you can also call USCIS to confirm if you like, but I'd say you'd have a better chance getting the info here on VJ. It seems are are preparing yourself and that is the first step! Good for you!

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to VJ and still gathering all the information I need to send in for the I-129F forms. It would be so easy but my dear finace has a complicated case. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and could offer some guidance. Here is the story.

My fiance is from Turkey. When he was in the U.S., he overstayed his visa by a 1 year 8 months. He did leave the U.S. on his own and went back to Turkey, but to complicate things more, while he was here, he got a driver's license and he also worked and to further complicate things, he even paid Income Tax. Which, by the way, I think was horrible for our government to accept since he did not have a social security number.

Anyway, I have all of his addresses while he was here in the U.S. and the dates of each one. Of course this will show that he was in the U.S. for almost 3 years. And while I was putting everything togehter last night to mail, it dawned on me that I am going to have to put his jobs he had here in the U.S. too. This is only going to raise one red flag after another. So I emailed him last night asking him for his jobs that he had while he was here in the U.S. (no doubt he was working without an AED)

So, my question to all is, has anyone had anything even a little similar to this situation and what did you do?

Thank you,

Wendy

He will need to file a waiver for the overstay because he has a 10 year ban. The fact that he was able to get a DL is not significant. The fact that he worked illegally will be forgiven via his marriage to you, a USC. ITN numbers are available to people who do not have social security numbers in order to pay tax. This is a good thing in his favor - not a bad one.

USCIS does not care if he overstayed - this is not a "condition" for I-129F approval. And you are required by law, penalty of perjury and fines and/or imprisonment to tell the truth on the forms therefore you need to put all of his job information in the US. Again, it's not an issue for I-129F petition approval. The issue will come at the interview where he will be denied due to his illegal presence and will need to submit a 601 waiver and a hardship letter from you. I suggest you check out the 601 forum on immigrate2us.net if you have not already - there are many people in similar situations and you could start to get a good understanding of what the hardship letter will need to entail and what the timeline is like for waiver adjudication/approval rates in Turkey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

It sounds like it might not be as bad as you think. The waiver sounds very promising. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Christine

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Hi Kitkat1,

Thank you so much for all that information. I have checked out the afore mentioned website and I am finding it very helpful. I looked at some of the hardship letters so I could follow a similar format. I was reading on that website that at the interview my fiance should have his waiver and hardship letter in hand. Is this true?

Thank you again for your helpful information.

Christine - Thank you for your good wishes!!!

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Thank you,

Wendy

He will need to file a waiver for the overstay because he has a 10 year ban. The fact that he was able to get a DL is not significant. The fact that he worked illegally will be forgiven via his marriage to you, a USC. ITN numbers are available to people who do not have social security numbers in order to pay tax. This is a good thing in his favor - not a bad one.

USCIS does not care if he overstayed - this is not a "condition" for I-129F approval. And you are required by law, penalty of perjury and fines and/or imprisonment to tell the truth on the forms therefore you need to put all of his job information in the US. Again, it's not an issue for I-129F petition approval. The issue will come at the interview where he will be denied due to his illegal presence and will need to submit a 601 waiver and a hardship letter from you. I suggest you check out the 601 forum on immigrate2us.net if you have not already - there are many people in similar situations and you could start to get a good understanding of what the hardship letter will need to entail and what the timeline is like for waiver adjudication/approval rates in Turkey.

Hi Kitkat,

I am wondering what your basis was for saying illegal work in the US can be forgiven via marriage to a USC. I am curious because I am on K-1 and just worked and did not overstay. I hope you can enlighten me with this.

Thanks,

cd

K-1 Petition

May 05 - I-129F NOA1

Oct. 02 - I-129F NOA2

Mar. 19 - 1st Interview (AP)

Mar. 23 - 2nd Interview (AP)

Aug. 27 - K-1 Visa Received

Aug. 27 - Entered US

Adjustment of Status

Oct. 08 - USCIS Received Date

Oct. 25 - I-765 NOA1 (received in mail on 10/31)

Oct. 25 - I-485 NOA1 (received in mail on 11/02)

Oct. 31 - Notice Date for ASC Appointment on 11/24 (received in mail on 11/05)

Nov. 07 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 taken

Dec. 06 - I-765 Card production ordered

Dec. 14 - I-765 Approval Notice sent

Dec. 15 - I- 485 transferred to CSC

Dec. 17 - Received EAD in mail

Dec. 24 - Transfer Notice received in mail

May 22 - Welcome Letter sent

May 28 - I - 485 Approval Notice sent

Jun 21 - Green Card Received in Mail

Timeline
Hi Kitkat,

I am wondering what your basis was for saying illegal work in the US can be forgiven via marriage to a USC. I am curious because I am on K-1 and just worked and did not overstay. I hope you can enlighten me with this.

Thanks,

cd

USCIS cannot use an overstay or illegal work as a reason to deny AOS if you are married to a US Citizen and entered the country legally.

http://www.americanlaw.com/aos.html

Unauthorized Employment, Unlawful Status or Failure to Maintain Status

Aliens who have engaged in unauthorized employment, who are not in lawful status at the time of filing of the adjustment application or who have failed to continuously maintain status since their entry into the United States are barred from adjustment of status. However, this statutory bar does not apply to immediate relatives of United States citizens or certain special immigrants.

^^ I always thought that was if the foreign spouse had remained in the US. If the OP's fiance has returned to Turkey, doesn't that mean it WON'T be overlooked now in the K1 process?

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
^^ I always thought that was if the foreign spouse had remained in the US. If the OP's fiance has returned to Turkey, doesn't that mean it WON'T be overlooked now in the K1 process?

If the person left the country, went through the waiver process for the overstay, entered on a legal visa, there is no issue of previous work at AOS. Meaning, it doesn't matter if the person worked illegally previously - still forgiven at AOS based on the marriage to a USC. It won't be "overlooked" exactly - it's acknowledged on the I-129F paperwork but at the consulate level, they will deal with the overstay - illegal work *could* come up but rarely does since USCIS forgives it at AOS. Hope that makes sense.

I looked at some of the hardship letters so I could follow a similar format. I was reading on that website that at the interview my fiance should have his waiver and hardship letter in hand. Is this true?

Wendya, it's definitely a benefit to have the hardship letter and evidence prepared. Some consulates allow it to be submitted right then and there and if you have it ready, you won't lose any time. They will require the actual waiver to be filled out there, as they need to put in the denial code, but you could have the rest of the form ready and filled out. You also need to pay a fee - $265 I think - as well as have fingerprints taken and pay a fee for this - $85 I think.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Kitkat,

Thanks,

cd

USCIS cannot use an overstay or illegal work as a reason to deny AOS if you are married to a US Citizen and entered the country legally.

http://www.americanlaw.com/aos.html

Unauthorized Employment, Unlawful Status or Failure to Maintain Status

Aliens who have engaged in unauthorized employment, who are not in lawful status at the time of filing of the adjustment application or who have failed to continuously maintain status since their entry into the United States are barred from adjustment of status. However, this statutory bar does not apply to immediate relatives of United States citizens or certain special immigrants.

Thanks, that is for when you are adjusting status in the US then.

K-1 Petition

May 05 - I-129F NOA1

Oct. 02 - I-129F NOA2

Mar. 19 - 1st Interview (AP)

Mar. 23 - 2nd Interview (AP)

Aug. 27 - K-1 Visa Received

Aug. 27 - Entered US

Adjustment of Status

Oct. 08 - USCIS Received Date

Oct. 25 - I-765 NOA1 (received in mail on 10/31)

Oct. 25 - I-485 NOA1 (received in mail on 11/02)

Oct. 31 - Notice Date for ASC Appointment on 11/24 (received in mail on 11/05)

Nov. 07 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 taken

Dec. 06 - I-765 Card production ordered

Dec. 14 - I-765 Approval Notice sent

Dec. 15 - I- 485 transferred to CSC

Dec. 17 - Received EAD in mail

Dec. 24 - Transfer Notice received in mail

May 22 - Welcome Letter sent

May 28 - I - 485 Approval Notice sent

Jun 21 - Green Card Received in Mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.