7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi VJers,

10 more days and we will have an AOS interview; my husband and me did this ourselves, therefore, we would like to obtain your opinions to make sure that we had everything needed for an interview.

So, besides all the original documents (vaccination forms got from my home country, birth certificates of us, passports, Marriage license), what else do we need?

About the evidences, we tried to collect everything that we think they may need:

- hotel receipts that we have.

- presents, letters we sent to each other (before marriage when we were apart)

- our wedding invitation cards.

- theme park tickets, (we traveled to Atlanta but I lost the city pass :( ), however, my husband can check his bank account and show them the receipt he paid for the city pass + the bracelets they gave us in atlanta zoo + our photos. Can those be counted?

- Life insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, retirement insurance, car insurance.

- Joint bank account.

- We do not have joint credit card account since I have no job yet. but, we set up me as his authorized user, though. Can it be counted?

- Messages we sent to each other. (before and after marriage)

- Some letters from my friends who met my husband.

- Greeting letters form our friends to our apt.

- and tons of photo of us with his family, my friends, my family.

We are currently living in an apt, and the contract is ending soon, so my husband wants to add me to his "next contract" with another apt because he does not like this apt, so we are moving to another apt; therefore, we won't be able to provide lease contracts with our names on it, either utility bills, or cars..:( . Will it affect much? I'm kinda worried. :(

Beside those evidences, what else should we need?

The third concern is about having my last name changed, since we did not know about this, I wrote my last name in the marriage document which means I had my last name in our marriage license, how can I change my last name later? I read some of the posts, and I think that the best step to change my last name is when we apply for the naturalization, however, I wonder if they will base on our marriage license (which I had my original name on it - without my husband last name) to change my last name, then how can I change my last name to my husband last name? I am so confused about this issue. I hope you can offer us explanations. They would be much appreciated.

I hope to hear from you guys soon. Thank you very much in advance, VJers.

Best Regards,

Edited by JohnNHenry

Henry N Giddens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will not need a lot of bona fide marriage evidence for AOS. They know you do not have a lot. Showing some finance co-mingling and co-habitation documentation should suffice. Keep saving that stuff though. You will need all that and more for ROC down the road.

You are having an interview, so ask the IO at your interview if you can have your green card printed with your married name. Explain you mistakenly used your maiden name on the adjustment forms, but wish to use your husband's name instead.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You will not need a lot of bona fide marriage evidence for AOS. They know you do not have a lot. Showing some finance co-mingling and co-habitation documentation should suffice. Keep saving that stuff though. You will need all that and more for ROC down the road.

You are having an interview, so ask the IO at your interview if you can have your green card printed with your married name. Explain you mistakenly used your maiden name on the adjustment forms, but wish to use your husband's name instead.

sure will, thank you very much for your advice..:)

Henry N Giddens

Timeline

My wife is not working and is a joint account holder on our bank accounts and one CC and not simply an additional auth user

Thank you heo luoi.

What bank are you using? and what do they need to add me as a joint credit card holder? Can you share a lil bit more?

I am a joint account holder in my husband's account (with debit card), but for credit card, I am only an authorized user. :wacko:

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Henry N Giddens

Discovercard , i dont recall it was pretty basic stuff justs marriage cert i think.

My others only do auth users

Any bank account should be joint.

One bank would not add her married name until her AP/EAD came. But her GC came shortly after....so we added her then when they showed up we had to go back so they could update her name

Edited by heo luoi

• 1 year later...

MY TIMELINE:

Priority date: January 24 
Received text messages: January 29
Notice of Action: February 4

Biometrics appointment letter: February 11
Biometrics done: February 20

Request for Initial Evidence: February 16
Initial Evidence received: March 14

Expedite request: April 10 (Day 76 based on job offer)
Response to expedite request: April 16 ('your case is in our normal processing time')

Interview ready to be scheduled: April 25

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.