devblt

Cost of Car Insurance for your immigrating SO

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

As mentioned above: arbitrary rules!!!!!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

I havent called yet because my husband doe shave the DL yet. But my insurance covers me for any driver that I give permission to.

The same applies for my insurance.

Read the fine print. You are likely to find a sentence or two that say that any driver that is a member of your household has to be explicitly named in your policy.

My wife (the USC) pays about one-third of what I pay for car insurance, and she is the primary driver on our new, more expensive car. In other words, our premiums quadrupled. But, we added a car.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

My husband added me to his Geico policy, as his spouse, with absolutely no problems and premium didn't go up at all. There were no questions concerning my prior driving experience, we just needed to send them a copy of my DL.

Edited by ivona

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Ivona: There was no problem with us either, until we called to ask about it since I got the hint from someone else. Only after calling them they shared their "wisdom" that they changed their policy this year. If I had an accident I would not have been covered, and we did not know until we called. They then gave us the quote for the new premium which was $1200. Crazy!!!! Really, be careful and make sure that you are really still covered. In case of a claim it can become very uncomfortable.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

That was last year, I am sure it would be the same. There are even additional discount if you are a professional, engineers, and also if you have you have done higher studies like masters and all, I would say check with another Agent. The worse that can happen when your agent gives you all the applicable discount the adjustor(kinda forgot how they call them) can question some of them, but as long as you have your proof, nothing to worry about.

If your spouse was driving overseas, he/she can get credit for her driving experience you have to show the licence to the insurance agent. Some states will take your license when you go for a new one, so my best advice to anybody is to make a copy of it, then you can always show it as proof. that was with state farm, Vikings, Unitrin so i am not sure about other insurance company.

I was able to get credit for my driving experience when I first got my insurance years back with state farm. Apparently, they have now changed their policy on this. When my friend asked is state farm insurance agent, he was told they cannot accept driving expereince from abroad.

Are you positive about State Farm? Perhaps he's agent is not clear on the rules.. who did you hear that from?

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband added me to his Geico policy, as his spouse, with absolutely no problems and premium didn't go up at all. There were no questions concerning my prior driving experience, we just needed to send them a copy of my DL.

If your spouse has a poor driving record, you can expect it to affect your insurance premium.

Geico told me that it was impossible, at least in New York State, to *exclude* your spouse

from your insurance policy.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Geico told me that it was impossible, at least in New York State, to *exclude* your spouse

Interesting. Does it mean that getting married can invalidate one's policy?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was in charge of Commercial Insurance at the company I worked for in Canada so I had gotten letters of experience from all my Insurance Providers to date (you just write them/fax them your Policy #'s and they need your signature to release the information), as well as a copy of your Driver's Abstract (your driving record from your last CDN Address' DMV). It will show any speeding tickets etc. Those two pieces helped us secure only around 5$ a month more increase in my hubby's premiums (State Farm here in CT). Give them ALL the information you can.... Insurance companies need to be convinced that you are not a risk to them. 5+ years of no claims on my insurance, and a clear driving record helps .. a lot..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

wow, I am surprised. I should consider myself lucky, I guess..... No extra cost for us, but the company is local, so I can't recommend unless somebody lives in Virginia.

Ana

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Depends on how long you have been with State Farm. I am on the State Farm Mutual plan. I actually get dividend checks from them. My motorcycle, brand new, full coverage is $156 a year. State Farm is expensive to start but rewards its long term customers. As well, you get what you pay for. If I have a claim I take it to the body shop and its fixed, no questions, no claims adjuster. I would never switch companies.

I feel State Farm has outrageous premiums period. Before my SO even got here i checked into their rates and it was almost double for what i was paying currently. I thought hmm maybe cause its not a multi- policy rate, so i had them give me a premium for home owners insurance, $800 a year!!!!!! Mind you i pay $390 a year for the same coverage. Insane.

Jim and Nhi

10-2-2008 Interview in Vietnam

9-1-2008 abandoned K3

7-11-08 Home from Vietnam

7-04-2008 Cleared NVC

6-26-08 NOA2 for I-129F and I-130

6-25-08 Congressional Expediting Approved

6-23-08 Return to Vietnam for visit

4-30-08 NOA1 I-130

4-17-08 NOA1 I-129F

4-10-08 I-129F mailed

3-26-08 Married in Vietnam

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

My Husband still has an Albanian License and will for at least 6 months. State Farm would not insure him and told me to "just say he is visiting" if anything happened. That worked when we were not married, but after the wedding we switched to Geico, who will insure someone without a US License. The permiums were double, but he only had 6 years of experience and one accident and is under 25 so I can't say I was shocked at the amount. We pay about $100 a month and that does not insure our car, just the other guy.

AOS

AOS, EAD, AP mailed 3/13/07

AOS Appt-Fresno, CA 6/14/07

AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received in the mail 6-29-07

Removal of Conditions

I-751 mailed 3/17/09

Card Received 7/11/09

Citizenship!!!!!

N-400 mailed 3/17/10

Interview 6/28/10

Oath 7/19/10

Sisters' I-130

I-130s mailed 8/14/10

checks cashed 8/23/10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

If your spouse has a poor driving record, you can expect it to affect your insurance premium.

Geico offered to exclude my husband in California so my rates would not go up. Must be dependent on the State.

AOS

AOS, EAD, AP mailed 3/13/07

AOS Appt-Fresno, CA 6/14/07

AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received in the mail 6-29-07

Removal of Conditions

I-751 mailed 3/17/09

Card Received 7/11/09

Citizenship!!!!!

N-400 mailed 3/17/10

Interview 6/28/10

Oath 7/19/10

Sisters' I-130

I-130s mailed 8/14/10

checks cashed 8/23/10

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A few months ago hubby added me to the car insurance... It is only costing us about $90 a month and that is with full coverage......

The lady just asked me how long I have been driving for , and where I had moved from or something like that.... she didn't ask for any proof or anything....

We just went to a small insurance company, not one of those brand name ones

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.