Callistora

Need advice on possibly adjusting status after visa overstay

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Yeah, definitely file them together as soon as you're able. ICE aren't going to come busting through your windows and cart him away in the mean time. Just keep in mind, he can't work until he has his EAD and can't leave til he at least has AP. Have a good look at the guides up top and accumulate some more evidence after you're married. Have someone snap a phew photos at the ceremony - court houses are happy to oblige - and enjoy your time together.

What game did you meet on? ~Also a gamer :)

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Overstay IS forgiven when married to a US Citizen.. but yeah, SMH at people that come here and give bad advice!!!!! just don't leave the country:/

i would not recommend waiting long tho.. everyone has a different situation.. but yeah, i filed i130 and i1485 seperate and waited like over a year and filing seperate didnt really help but i had the money and i didnt mean to wait that long inbetween. The IO did not ask why i didnt file together, why i overstayed or why i waited so long to file.

my only question was 'are both your parents born in canada as well'

Timeline

So because I have never ever wanted a wedding (the thought of being the center of attention terrifies me; being maid of honor at my sisters wedding was bad enough) that must mean I'm not being truthful?

Choosing to only address this because others have given advice about the rest. I see someone said "USCIS are wedding people..." which is absolutely true. In the fact that they want a signed marriage certificate that was legally obtained and issued. Don't worry about having a big wedding that you don't want just to please people who don't know you. We had a teeny tiny courthouse wedding a few days after we arrived in the US. Only 2 witnesses. Got approved no problem. A lack of a party doesn't make you any less married. If you have a real, genuine relationship, lack of a party shouldn't change the evidence of that.

Edited by B-2-Z

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Now, would it be possible for him to cross into Canada (or Mexico) for just a couple of days and come back as to not breach his approved stay?

And risk being turned away at the border for trying to live in the US as a "tourist"? Very, very bad idea in OP's situation. They are on a legal path already, no need to complicate things.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

If you both are sure that you want to marry and to live together, then his eventual overstay would be "pardoned" if the AOS is accepted. But if you both change your mind about marriage and break-up from the moment you petition him until you get the AOS interview, then his overstay will be taken into consideration for future immigration procedures. It is your call. That said, love moves the world and you should follow your hearts!

Now, would it be possible for him to cross into Canada (or Mexico) for just a couple of days and come back as to not breach his approved stay?

No, once you leave USA whether by land or air you would trigger the overstay bar.

overstay is forgiven so once you marry and file the paperwork it is all good!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Definitely don't just nip in to Canada for a few days! There are people on here all the time saying how they thought they'd just go to Canada or Mexico for a few days so they can start the stay in America from 0 days and they aren't allowed back in because the time between visits is too short. You are absolutely okay to marry and stay on this side of the fence at this point. Don't jeopardise it for the hope of avoiding an overstay.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.