dcfleury

RFE FOR K1 VISA - Divorce Decree

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys good afternoon!

I'm a March filler and we got and RFE on June 7th but they requested a Divorce decree signed by a judge or magistrate.

Here is the biggest problem.. in Brazil there is no divorce decree certificate for consensual divorces made after 2007. The official divorce document for consensual divorce (when both wants the divorce) is the Marriage Certificate endorsed, which means that at the end of Marriage Certificate there is an observation where is validated divorce and which also says that my name has returned to the maiden name. I sent a copy of this certificate together with a certified translation of the document formalizing my divorce inside the package

This document is issued in the Registry along with a lawyer. According to the Civil Procedure Code - Law No. 5869 of January 11, 1973.

Establishing the Code of Civil Procedure:
Article. 1,124. Approved the consensual divorce, to endorse the judgment in the civil registry is not necessary court order signed by a judge.
Article. 1124-A. The consensual separation and consensual divorce, with no minor or disabled children of the couple and compliance with the legal requirements regarding deadlines, may be made by public deed, which shall include the provisions on the description and the sharing of common goods and alimony (if any), and also to agree to a spouse back to using her maiden name or maintenance of the adopted name when it gave the wedding. (Included by Law No. 11,441, 2007).
§ 1 Scripture does not depend on judicial approval (no need for a decision by a judge) and is clever title for the civil registry and land registry. (Included by Law No. 11,441, 2007).
So, there is no Divorce decree signed by a judge in my case. What should I do ?

Engaged: Sept 11th 2015
Package Sent: March 10th 2016
NOA1 : March 17th
RFE Received: June 7th
NOA2: June 29th (We received Aug 28)
NVC received/create case: July 22nd
NVC shipped Case to Rio Embassy: July 29th
Email from Rio Embassy Received : Aug 4th
NVC Hard copy Letter Received: Aug 5th
Medical Schedule: September 15th :dancing: DONE!
Interview schedule: October 11th :dancing: APPROVED!!!!

POE : MIAMI October 22nd (L)

JP Wedding : October 26th /27th (L)(L)

Timeline

Hi guys good afternoon!

I'm a March filler and we got and RFE on June 7th but they requested a Divorce decree signed by a judge or magistrate.

Here is the biggest problem.. in Brazil there is no divorce decree certificate for consensual divorces made after 2007. The official divorce document for consensual divorce (when both wants the divorce) is the Marriage Certificate endorsed, which means that at the end of Marriage Certificate there is an observation where is validated divorce and which also says that my name has returned to the maiden name. I sent a copy of this certificate together with a certified translation of the document formalizing my divorce inside the package

This document is issued in the Registry along with a lawyer. According to the Civil Procedure Code - Law No. 5869 of January 11, 1973.

Establishing the Code of Civil Procedure:

Article. 1,124. Approved the consensual divorce, to endorse the judgment in the civil registry is not necessary court order signed by a judge.

Article. 1124-A. The consensual separation and consensual divorce, with no minor or disabled children of the couple and compliance with the legal requirements regarding deadlines, may be made by public deed, which shall include the provisions on the description and the sharing of common goods and alimony (if any), and also to agree to a spouse back to using her maiden name or maintenance of the adopted name when it gave the wedding. (Included by Law No. 11,441, 2007).

§ 1 Scripture does not depend on judicial approval (no need for a decision by a judge) and is clever title for the civil registry and land registry. (Included by Law No. 11,441, 2007).

So, there is no Divorce decree signed by a judge in my case. What should I do ?

Thank you all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Regional forum from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports - As this is a country specific question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Yes I did. I send the original document of divorce that is the marriage certificate updated with the divorce inscription on the botton. I dont k ow what to do... dont know what else they want...toi afraid to send the same document.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Try re-sending what you already did along with the laws showing that what you provided is the legal divorce document for your country.

Also, provide a copy of this from the Dept of State website>

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/BR.html

Divorce certificates are available as an amendment that is annotated on the previous marriage certificate.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I also have almost the same problem. My divorce docket was signed electronically so there is no hand written signature. do you guys think this may be a problem?

I-129F sent- June 15

Lockbox received- June 16

Noa1- June 20

RFE- August 23

NOA2- September 1

NVC received- September 13

Case #- September 13

interview- October 31

POE- November 13

Married- November 23

Timeline

Try re-sending what you already did along with the laws showing that what you provided is the legal divorce document for your country.

Also, provide a copy of this from the Dept of State website>

Divorce certificates are available as an amendment that is annotated on the previous marriage certificate.

Thank you Kay!

I was looking for other cases like mine and one of them resend the document highlighted with a lawyer statement saying that accordingly by the law nº XXXXX that is a true and official divorce in our country.

So a I'm going to do the same. Going to resend the copy of the marriage certificate highlighted in that part that says i'm divorced, plus the official translation by a notarized person (not a copy) and the lawyer statement saying the accordingly with our brazilian civil Law nº 1.124 it's a official document proving my divorce and of course the official translation of that statement too.

It will give me a lot of trouble but since i only have "one shot" i can't afford doing any mistakes and have our petition denied and restart all over again.

I also have almost the same problem. My divorce docket was signed electronically so there is no hand written signature. do you guys think this may be a problem?

Timeline

Hm, it shouldn't be a problem if ir was properly translated and notarized... mine went well and, as yours, it's a "Certidão de Casamento com Averbação de Divórcio"

01/08/2016 - I-129F package sent to Dallas, TX

01/25/2016 - USCIS received / transferred to CSC

01/29/2016 - NOA1 email notification

02/02/2016 - NOA1 hard copy

03/10/2016 - NOA2 (USCIS updated status)

03/14/2016 - NO2 hard copy

04/04/2016 - NVC received

04/06/2016 - Case Number (phone call)

04/07/2016 - Package in Transit!!! (Yay!)

04/08/2016 - Case Ready for the Interview (OMG!!! :o)

05/09/2016 - Medical (Ok!)

06/21/2016 - Interview - 3 questions, 2 minutes and that's it :) (had an issue with former Divorce Certificate, make sure you have the final one, they won't accept Consensual Separation, more time waiting :( )

07/15/2016 - Sent pendent document (The correct one!) \0/

07/18/2016 - Consulate received documents

07/25/2016 - Visa finally Issued!!!

07/26/2016 - Posted to be delivered!!!!!

07/29/2016 - Visa in hand!!! *Victory Dance* :D

08/10/2016 - Can't believe I'm hooooome

Timeline

Hm, it shouldn't be a problem if ir was properly translated and notarized... mine went well and, as yours, it's a "Certidão de Casamento com Averbação de Divórcio"

Oi Gabi, você recebeu uma RFE como eu ?

Estou em duvida, fui no cartorio ontem e pedi uma segunda via, agora não sei se mando a original ou uma cópia autenticada junto com a tradução original.

Timeline

Então, não tive, por isso estranhei a sua RFE por esse motivo, o meu foi sem problema nenhum... enviei uma cópia simples de frente e verso (minha Averbação fica no verso) e foi tudo normal

(In english)

I didn't have any RFEs and mine was a simple copy of my Wedding Certificate, it's weird they had problem with yours

06/21/2016 - Interview - 3 questions, 2 minutes and that's it :) (had an issue with former Divorce Certificate, make sure you have the final one, they won't accept Consensual Separation, more time waiting :( )

Timeline

Então, não tive, por isso estranhei a sua RFE por esse motivo, o meu foi sem problema nenhum... enviei uma cópia simples de frente e verso (minha Averbação fica no verso) e foi tudo normal

(In english)

I didn't have any RFEs and mine was a simple copy of my Wedding Certificate, it's weird they had problem with yours

Pois é eu decidi que eu vou enviar a cópia autenticada dessa nova segunda via que eu emiti ontem no cartorio e mais a tradução original, além de um texto que eu achei no site que fala o seguinte :

• Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage/Divorce

Civil Records are available in all 26 states and the Federal District of Brasilia. Birth and marriage certificates may include annotations regarding previous marriages, divorces, and deaths of former spouses. In order to have an annotated certificate, an applicant needs to go to a notary (cartorio) and request a second copy – recently issued - of the birth and/or marriage certificate. If the birth or civil document does not have an annotation, it does not necessarily mean that there have been no births, divorces, or deaths.

Achas que vai ser o suficiente ?

Edited by dcfleury

Timeline

Acredito que baste... não é possível que encontrem problema nisso também!

Timeline

Acredito que baste... não é possível que encontrem problema nisso também!

Muito Obrigada! :dancing:

Mandando amanhã via FEDEx para o meu noivo nos EUA. Acredito que até o dia 28 já esteja com o visa center.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.