6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone will be able to answer this residency question I have:

I was granted conditional resident status almost a year ago, and with that came the so-called green card, which I received almost immediately after my Welcome Letter. The thing is that I lost it a while ago somehow (I have looked everywhere at home and there is no way it could be there), so I finally gave up on my search and decided to file for a replacement (I-90 form). I filed it online on the USCIS website today and got a email confirmation saying that the payment went through.

I am aware that this whole process may take up to six months, so I'm trying to find a way to have proof of my current resident status while I wait for my new card in the mail. I found out that there's something called a "I-551 visa stamp" which can be given to you at your local USCIS office, which proves that you applied for a replacement but the process is still ongoing, so the stamp is pretty much a temporary substitute and is valid for a year. I was hoping to be able to get this so I could visit my friend in NYC in July, but more importantly to know that even leaving the country and coming back due to a possible emergency would not be too much of a hassle.

I did some research and found that by setting up an appointment with InfoPass I could get this done. My question is:

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? What did you do? How long did it take? Was it easy to get the stamp? What documents did you have with you for the appointment?

Any insight/help/information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by alexandlessa

K-1 Timeline:

September 30, 2013 - Sent I-129F package

October 10, 2013 - NOA1

November 8, 2013 - NOA2 (No RFE)

January 6, 2014 - Got my case number by e-mail
January 15, 2014 - Found out when I'm having the interview
February 21, 2014 - K1 interview. Approved! Yay!

qH0mm2.png

geqpm2.png
event.png
9Ys9m6.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Not exactly simular, yet still simular enough i think...

Something went wrong with making my greencard, after calling a few times someone said that they really have no clue how long it would take, so told me to get the stamp

It was kind of easy... i took my approval notice and passport with me to my appointment at the field office, explained the situation (husband going on base for 2 weeks and i need to get my DL)

she took my approval and passport, went through the system (she told me the process changed not long ago...and as far as i know this field office is very quiet! So she had to figure out how to do it haha)

Then she took my passport to the back, came back and i had my stamp ^^ mine is valid until december but i should have my GC by then... sometimes they are a half yeae, sometimes a year

Make sure your passport doesnt expire soon! Because if it does it will expire with the passport...

And I think in your case its smart to bring the NOA1 from the replacement request to proof that you applied for it (i think i read it somewere)

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/2015 - Receive K1 (texas backlog drama, took a year!)

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 000) 03/10/16 - Filed AOS (with EAD and AP)

(Day 001) 03/14/16 - Received EAD+AP

(Day 004) 03/18/16 - Received AOS

(Day 005) 03/19/16 - NOA1 SMS & Email x3

(Day 009) 03/23/16 - NOA1 Hardcopy x3

(Day 016) 03/30/16 - Biometrics letter received

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 051) 05/04/16 - Approval EAD & AP

(Day 055) 05/08/16 - NOA2 EAD & AP in the mail and online changed to approved

(Day 063) 05/16/16 - Approval AOS

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 067) 05/20/16 - NOA2 AOS Hardcopy and online status change

(Day 086) 06/08/16 - EAD Mailed to me

(Day 088) 06/10/16 - GC Mailed to me

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

(Day 091) 06/13/16 - Greencard received

Timeline

Not exactly simular, yet still simular enough i think...

Something went wrong with making my greencard, after calling a few times someone said that they really have no clue how long it would take, so told me to get the stamp

It was kind of easy... i took my approval notice and passport with me to my appointment at the field office, explained the situation (husband going on base for 2 weeks and i need to get my DL)

she took my approval and passport, went through the system (she told me the process changed not long ago...and as far as i know this field office is very quiet! So she had to figure out how to do it haha)

Then she took my passport to the back, came back and i had my stamp ^^ mine is valid until december but i should have my GC by then... sometimes they are a half yeae, sometimes a year

Make sure your passport doesnt expire soon! Because if it does it will expire with the passport...

And I think in your case its smart to bring the NOA1 from the replacement request to proof that you applied for it (i think i read it somewere)

Hi, thanks for your response!!!

I called USCIS today and was told that pretty much all I have to bring with me is my passport, possibly a second valid identification document (which I don't have, but I'm hoping it won't be required) and my receipt notice from my replacement application. I haven't gotten that I-797 form in the mail yet because I filed the petition last night through the website, but the lady on the phone said the confirmation number I got on my email should be sufficient.

Either way I'm having my appointment this Tuesday so I hope all goes well there and I get my stamp.

Thanks again for sharing your experience...

I hope all goes well with you as well and you get your resident card on time.

Cheers =)

K-1 Timeline:

October 10, 2013 - NOA1

qH0mm2.png

geqpm2.png
event.png
9Ys9m6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to General Immigration-Related Discussion - topic is replacing lost green card ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My GC arrived with incorrect data on it and we filed for I90 back in March, I went to my uscis office and got the I551 stamp and I've used it to travel out of the country with no problemas at all.

You would need to make an info pAss, bring passport, I90 acceptance letter and they can issue it for you right away! Took less than 10 minutes for us to be in and out.

Timeline

My GC arrived with incorrect data on it and we filed for I90 back in March, I went to my uscis office and got the I551 stamp and I've used it to travel out of the country with no problemas at all.

You would need to make an info pAss, bring passport, I90 acceptance letter and they can issue it for you right away! Took less than 10 minutes for us to be in and out.

Thank you so much for your response!!!

I'm having my InfoPass appointment this Tuesday and hopefully I'll leave the office with a stamp on my visa as well :luv:

Good to know that it really works as a temporary GC substitute like it's supposed to!

Thanks again!

K-1 Timeline:

October 10, 2013 - NOA1

qH0mm2.png

geqpm2.png
event.png
9Ys9m6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.