4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have been in a long distance relationship with my US citizen boyfriend. I'm Japanese living in Canada with PR card. I own my house and have a kids from previous marriage

We plan on getting married and kids and I move to USA. I'm not sure if I should apply K1 visa or get married with him in USA and apply for a green card from Canada. Because I own my house and kids have school, getting K1 visa may not be convenience for me as I would have to move within 6 months from obtaining K1 Visa. I don't know if 6 months is be enough for me to deal with selling my house and the timing for my kids's schooling. Could you give me any suggestions? Would it be possible for me to get married with him in USA and come back to Canada to apply for a greencard without actually living together with him? Due to the circumstance, it is impossible for us to live together. Can I still visit him to USA while waiting for greencard application being processed.

All visas have a time limit to use them. WIth the spouse visa, you could go to the US and get your visa endorsed, become a permanent resident in the US, and then turn around and get things settled in Canada before moving permanently. But, you could not stay in Canada forever, you have to live in the US to be a permanent resident. If you leave for more than a year your permanent residency will be revoked.

You can visit during the process.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Another thing to bear in mind with the K1 is that you will not be able to work for several months. Or leave the USA. With children to support, could you manage for several months on just the income of your husband? If you needed to go back to Canada for any reason or Japan, for that matter you need to wait for travel approval with a K1 and this, like the work authorisation, takes several months to receive. With a CR-1 you can leave the very next day after you arrive if there is a family emergency or you need to go to Canada to take care of your affairs.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.