Eternal Spring

Medical Hardship Question - Do I need counseling appts, too?

21 posts in this topic

Hi, friends. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I have a very rare genetic metabolic disease. My husband's attorney told me that because of my illness, my husband has a good chance of being approved for I-601A. However, the lawyer would like for me to have 10 appointments with a mental health counselor, in order to increase my husband's chances of being approved (my disease can cause intermittent symptoms that not only affect my body, but also my mental health). I'm concerned because I can't afford this. Is there anyone else here who has a medical condition that was able to have the I-601A approved, due to the medical condition itself, without having to see a mental health counselor, as well? (I have no objection to seeing a mental health counselor, my concern is that it's going to cost $1,200--that's far more than I can afford right now, since the attorney is already so expensive). Also, in case you're wondering, I take medication to help lessen the severity of the symptoms of my metabolic disease, but I am not on any medication for mental health symptoms (which come and go anyway, so I'm not sure that medication would be warranted for the mental health symptoms in my case), and I have only seen a counselor once as a teenager, when I had a psychiatric evaluation, and was not diagnosed with a mental health illness at that time.

Edited by Eternal Spring

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, friends. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I have a very rare genetic metabolic disease. My husband's attorney told me that because of my illness, my husband has a good chance of being approved for I-601A. However, the lawyer would like for me to have 10 appointments with a mental health counselor, in order to increase my husband's chances of being approved (my disease can cause intermittent symptoms that not only affect my body, but also my mental health). I'm concerned because I can't afford this. Is there anyone else here who has a medical condition that was able to have the I-601A approved, due to the medical condition itself, without having to see a mental health counselor, as well? (I have no objection to seeing a mental health counselor, my concern is that it's going to cost $1,200--that's far more than I can afford right now, since the attorney is already so expensive). Also, in case you're wondering, I take medication to help lessen the severity of the symptoms of my metabolic disease, but I am not on any medication for mental health symptoms (which come and go anyway, so I'm not sure that medication would be warranted for the mental health symptoms in my case), and I have only seen a counselor once as a teenager, when I had a psychiatric evaluation, and was not diagnosed with a mental health illness at that time.

I assume that it's going to cost you $120 per session? See if they can put you on a payment plan.

K1 Visa Timeline
03/04/16: I-129F sent via USPS certified mail
03/09/16: I-129F NOA1
03/11/16: I-129F NOA1 hard copy received
06/13/16: RFE Notice of Action
06/17/16: RFE NOA hard copy received

06/23/16: Response to RFE sent to CSC via USPS certified mail

06/29/16: Response to RFE sent to CSC was received

07/05/16: I-129F was approved and sent to NVC

07/27/16: NVC received petition

07/28/16: NVC sent petition to US Embassy in Manila

08/01/16: Consulate received

08/30/16: Medical

09/13/16: Interview date / Approved

09/17/16: Visa in hand

12/29/16: POE - Dallas, TX

01/20/17: Marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hardship letters need varies points and I agree with your lawyer that the counseling sessions would be good additional documentation to submit.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alternatively, it could be viewed as just attending the sessions for the waiver. It seems odd that you did not need any mental health session prior to filing for your husband.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Yes, that's what I'm worried about, canadian_wife. What if it looks odd to the Immigration official who examines my husband's I-601A, that suddenly I would enter counseling when I've never done that before? Meanwhile, I've been getting medical treatment for my metabolic disease since I was a teenager, and I am now in my late 30's. I take medication regularly for my metabolic disease. My last hospitalization for it was over 10 years ago, though (but this is only because my medication works pretty well--if I couldn't get access to this medication anymore, I would get very ill and would have to be hospitalized at least once a month).

Filed: Timeline

I say have your treatment doctor gravely explain your illness

& get print out on the disease from reputable studies done.

Mental health arguments are now seen as a way to

pay a pysce for saying the right thing...it'll be like

padding, merits in mental health proofs are those who have

be in mental health treatments prior to the immigration process

& been on meds for a long time.

You can show how your husband help with the illness by

taking you to the doctor, running errands, keeping the home

in order (and if you got kids) he's is provider/protector etc

Do you have a church home get a letter from pastor too

I say have your treatment doctor gravely explain your illness

& get print out on the disease from reputable studies done.

Mental health arguments are now seen as a way to

pay a pysce for saying the right thing...it'll be like

padding, merits in mental health proofs are those who have

be in mental health treatments prior to the immigration process

& been on meds for a long time.

You can show how your husband help with the illness by

taking you to the doctor, running errands, keeping the home

in order (and if you got kids) he's is provider/protector etc

Do you have a church home get a letter from pastor too

Hello, Jawaree, and thank you very much for your advice. Yes, my primary care doctor has been treating me for 20 years now, and she wrote a great letter, she believes it's a grave hardship if I had to live in Guatemala or if I had to live here by myself, because my husband does take care of me whenever I suffer "attacks" from my disease. It's a good idea to get print-outs about the disease, I will do that. We are getting letters from multiple pastors (we have attended various local churches within our denomination), including my parents' pastor (who has been my pastor before and has known me for more than 10 years), and the very helpful part is my parents are also in poor health (my dad has the same disease that I do, it's genetic), so my parents' pastor is familiar with my disease.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have a medical condition. (Not severe) I also went to a mental health counselor. It has helped me alot, but my work pays for it so I did not incur any cost. I did not attend 10 sessions prior to submitting my waiver though. That seems like alot. She did write a letter of her findings and my appointments.

I have a medical condition. (Not severe) I also went to a mental health counselor. It has helped me alot, but my work pays for it so I did not incur any cost. I did not attend 10 sessions prior to submitting my waiver though. That seems like alot. She did write a letter of her findings and my appointments.

Thank you, LionessDeon. Do you remember how many appointments you had to do, prior to submitting the waiver?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

4-5. Also I want to share that our waiver has not been approved as yet. We are still awaiting a decision. You could check with United Way or Catholic Charities in your city or county to see what they offer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

See if there are any counseling centers in your area that offer sessions on a sliding scale based on income. Do a Google search in your areas for "low cost psychotherapy" or "mental health counseling sliding scale."

If there is a graduate school or university nearby you can try the school of social work website. There might be resources there for you or ones they can point you to.

Many social work graduate students often in preparation for their licensure take internships and offer services though centers that provide counseling on a sliding scale. At least here they do.

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

Timeline

Also - needing therapy to deal with the impact of these crazy processes on your health and wellbeing is valid and real. Anyone having to deal with the emotional trauma of this process could probably benefit from a little talk therapy, and I'm sure many have, including myself. It's just some of us aren't on the position of having to prove it. If therapy is something you want to add to your petition, be open-minded about how it could actually benefit you in real life, not just with your petition. At least then it might feel a little less fake in your heart.

Edited by mondix

Timeline

See if there are any counseling centers in your area that offer sessions on a sliding scale based on income. Do a Google search in your areas for "low cost psychotherapy" or "mental health counseling sliding scale."

If there is a graduate school or university nearby you can try the school of social work website. There might be resources there for you or ones they can point you to.

Many social work graduate students often in preparation for their licensure take internships and offer services though centers that provide counseling on a sliding scale. At least here they do.

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

Here's a list: http://www.alliancecommunitypc.org/documents/LowCostorSlidingScaleTherapyOptions_ACPCwebsite.pdf

xoxo

Thanks, I appreciate it! I don't mind getting counseling, I'm sure it's very useful. I'm just concerned about the cost. However, I'm also not likely eligible for sliding scale, since our joint income last year is over 60K. (They don't take into account my credit card bills, which are very high.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.