Caykay1

Spouse with same last family name

20 posts in this topic

In the usa if your fathers are the same you are siblings.

A dna test can show how closely related, if at all, a person is with another. A consulate or embassy would require a dna test if there was any question of sibling or first cousin marriage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In the usa if your fathers are the same you are siblings.

A dna test can show how closely related, if at all, a person is with another. A consulate or embassy would require a dna test if there was any question of sibling or first cousin marriage.

If two unrelated guys who happen to have the same last name marry two sisters, the kids will all have the same last name, the kids will all be cousins, and the fathers will be no more (blood) related than they were before they met their wives.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

If two unrelated guys who happen to have the same last name marry two sisters, the kids will all have the same last name, the kids will all be cousins, and the fathers will be no more (blood) related than they were before they met their wives.

In your example they will be blood related through their mothers. They will all be first cousins and have similar DNA. Blood relations work through both parents DNA, not just a father's.

My mothers sisters children are just as closely related to me as my fathers brothers children. But my fathers brothers children are in no way related to my mothers sisters children. They are not cousins. They are cousins with ME, but not with each other.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If a mother has 4 children by two different husbands they are all siblings. Technically they are half siblings as only 1/2 of their dna is related.

If a father has 4 children by two different women they are all also siblings.

In some cultures they consider this to be cousins, but from a DNA stand point, they are siblings.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If a mother has 4 children by two different husbands they are all siblings. Technically they are half siblings as only 1/2 of their dna is related.

If a father has 4 children by two different women they are all also siblings.

In some cultures they consider this to be cousins, but from a DNA stand point, they are siblings.

I'm happy your brought the cultural side. We are dealing with people all over the world with different beliefs, culture etc etc.my older sisters have different father from my brothers and I. Culturally were all full siblings without any difference but an European will say we are half sisters which I find it very offensive (cultural thing). Myself and my cousins will classify ourselves sisters (culturally) unless it's for official documentation then we will classify ourselves as cousins. We are all different and just like my legal advise team said, never assume " they" know or should know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.