zach21uk

Just want to make sure we have this right. Also a couple questions.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hi There,

My wife and I just want to make sure we have a complete understanding of the process we are about to embark on once she files the I-130. My wife lives with me in Cyprus, so she is filing from outside the US. This is what we understand from having read this forum and some other resources online:

1) We file I-130 along one G-1145 and two G-325A (one for me, one for her). A cheque for $420 dollars, 2 photos, a copy of my wifes birth certificate, an official copy of our marriage certificate and other evidence of our marriage such as photos etc.

2) Some time after, my wife will receive a notice of acceptance by email or SMS.

3) USCIS pass our paperwork over to the National Visa Center? (Is this right?)

4) NVC then contacts us and requests a boat load more paperwork? (does anyone know what paperwork they'll ask for?)

5) After we mail that back to NVC, assuming all is in order, they will eventually contact our local embassy and schedule a visa interview and to this interview we have to bring the list of documents specified by our embassy here and at this interview, I get questioned and then either approved or rejected.

Is all this correct? Obviously we know its a lot more involved than this, but these are the five basic steps we have understood.

We understand that the average timeline for the entire process is around 12 to 18 months - is this correct? We understand it will take longer if we fail to send paperwork they ask for.

My wife's uncle has agreed to do the I-864 for us as my wife currently earns no income (shes in university). At what point do we present this Affidavit of Support? My understanding is that we send a COPY to NVC and bring the original to the consular interview? Is this right?

Relating to the I-864, I am self employed and my income/earnings will remain consistent/stable even once I have relocated to the US. On the I-864, Section 7, Item 6 of the I-864 it says I can declare my ASSETS. What about my earnings? Can they be declared given that they will remain the same?

Finally, my wife currently resides here in Cyprus with me. We've been told my wife has to demonstrate that she intends to re-establish domicile in the US. How exactly do we do that? The plan is to sell up and move to the US once I am approved. We would ship all of our items by cargo ship and they would arrive in the US around 3 months after we do, giving us plenty of time to rent a house/apartment and furnish it. However we have been told that my wife may need to go back to the US in advance on her own and establish domicile BEFORE my consular interview?

Thanks in advance all.

Zach & Liz.

Edited by zach21uk

January 15th 2012: Met my future wife online.

November 12th 2014: Married in Paphos, Cyprus.

April 25th 2016: I-130 mailed to Chicago Lockbox.

May 20th 2016: I-130 returned due to problems with check.

May 23rd 2016: I-130 mailed to relative in California to insert check.

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

May 31st 2016: I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox via USPS.

June 4th 2016: NOA1 received by Email with May 31st acceptance date.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

October 18th 2016: Case transferred to Texas Service Center

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

December 19th 2016: Marco Rubios' office replied.

December 30th 2016: NOA2 Received by Email. Case Approved.

January 8th 2017: Case sent to Department of State (NVC)

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

January 20th 2017: DS-261 completed online and AOS fees of $120.00 paid.

January 31st 2017: IV fee of $320.00 paid.

February 22nd 2017: Documents recieved by NVC (FedEx confirmation).

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

June 16th 2017: Passport back from US Embassy.  Flying to JFK on June 20th!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

1) good

2) she will receive the acceptance by email/sms and also by physical mail ( I-797 )

3) correct once case is approved ( 3-4 months ) it is sent to NVC , the petitioner gets another email/sms and physical mail

4) read this http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

5) once everything is ok with nvc , your case is completed , an interview is scheduled and the beneficiary is asked to do her/his medical before that ( make sure all vaccinations are done prior to your medical if possible and bring the report at the medical ) , once medical is done you take the reports tp the interview . you have your interview and the there the CO decides if you will get the visa or not , then within 3-4 weeks you get the visa to enter US within 6 months

avg time - 1 year

AOS is sent at the NVC stage , yes copy to nvc and all originals at the interview

USCIS:

FedEx overnight I-130: December 17, 2015
NOA1 hard copy received: January 1, 2016

NOA2 hard copy received: April 24, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------
NVC:

Case and IIN Assigned: May 4, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261): May 4, 2016

AOS Fee paid: May 4, 2016

IV Fee Paid: May 6, 2016

DS-260 Completed: May 14 , 2016

Case Complete : June 8,2016

-------------------------------------------------------

EMBASSY:

Medical Completed : July 22, 2016 review link

Interview : July 28, 2016 APPROVED !!!! review link

Visa issued : July 29, 2016

Visa in hand : August 3, 2016

POE : August 4, 2016 Montreal, Canada

224 days start to finish :dancing:

SSC in hand : August 15 , 2016

Green card : January 14th , 2017

-----------------------------------------------------------

ROC

packet sent : May 5, 2018

package received : May 7, 2018

Timeline

Thank you Sanil.

We have just been reading through the NVC Process link you sent. We have a couple questions about the part that states:

Domicile Please note, if the petitioner lives with the beneficiary abroad, you'll need to provide proof of US domicile with the AOS package, as well as bring it with you to the interview.

My wife has concerns about this as she resides full time here with me. She left the US at age 18 and as such currently has no US bank account, no US drivers license, no car etc. She does have a Florida State ID and she is registered to vote at our local embassy I believe.

Our intent on entering the US is to initially stay with her uncle (he has stated we can stay with him whilst we search for an apartment/house) and then apartment/house hunt and move into our own rental ASAP.

Given that we are right at the start of this process, is there anything she could/should do to help improve this aspect of things?

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

Thank you Sanil.

We have just been reading through the NVC Process link you sent. We have a couple questions about the part that states:

My wife has concerns about this as she resides full time here with me. She left the US at age 18 and as such currently has no US bank account, no US drivers license, no car etc. She does have a Florida State ID and she is registered to vote at our local embassy I believe.

Our intent on entering the US is to initially stay with her uncle (he has stated we can stay with him whilst we search for an apartment/house) and then apartment/house hunt and move into our own rental ASAP.

Given that we are right at the start of this process, is there anything she could/should do to help improve this aspect of things?

Some embassies/consulates are way more strict on domicile than others. Very strict is Montreal, long thread in the Canada forum to give you ideas. Try to read on past interviews where you'll go - see what was requested of them. She might have to move back before you do if she can't gather enough proof, depends how strict they are.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello Zack,

I hope this helps a bit. This is the check list that NVC sent us......I have no idea if it is country specific.

===============================================================================

1. Document Cover Sheet................................ [ ]

2. Original, signed Affidavit of Support..........[ ] [ ] [ ]

3. Photocopies of Financial Documents:

IRS Tax Transcript............................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Federal Income Tax Returns................. [ ] [ ] [ ]

Form W2............................................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Evidence of income............................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Proof of relationship............................. [ ] [ ] [ ]

Proof of U.S. status............................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Social Security Earnings Statement...... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Proof of assets....................................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

4. Photocopies of Supporting Documents:

Adoption documentation....................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Birth certificates.................................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Court and prison record(s).................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Marriage certificate............................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Marriage termination documents.......... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Military records..................................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

Petitioner documents............................. [ ] [ ] [ ]

Valid, unexpired passport.................. [ ] [ ] [ ]

Police Certificate(s).............................. [ ] [ ] [ ]

Translations........................................... [ ] [ ] [ ]

If you have not submitted Form DS-260 "Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application", please do

so. We cannot forward your petition to a U.S. Embassy overseas until you submit Form DS-260. You must

submit this form online at http://ceac.state.gov. You will need your National Visa Center case number and

invoice ID number to access the form online.

CR1

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

7/27/15 Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lock box

7/29/15 NOA1, TSC

10/7/15 Entered USA for three weeks to close escrow and pack house

12/5/15 Entered USA for 90 days to visit

12/7/15 I-130 approved,NOA2

NVC

12/23/15 NVC received package

1/5/2016 Called NVC

1/7/2016 Called NVC, assigned case # and IIN #

1/7/2016 Assigned choice of agent

1/7/2016 Paid AOS fees

1/21/2016 Paid packet IV fees

2/20/2016 Filed DS-260

3/30/2016 Sent NVC package

4/5/2016 NVC received package

5/5/2016 Email from NVC...case complete with interview date 6/17

6/10/2016 Medical

6/17/2016 Interview - Approved :)

Timeline

Thanks for your reply Lemonslice.

Also thank you very much for that list Michael. It says "original" affidavit of support - did you actually send the original? I thought the embassy needed the original at the interview.

---

We have one more thing we are not sure about - as mentioned above, my wifes uncle is doing the Affidavit of Support for us as my wife is currently in university and thus has zero income. Does my wife ALSO have to fill out an Affidavit of Support declaring that she earns nothing and that we're using her uncle as our support? How does it work?

We have everything ready for our I-130 packet to send on Monday which we will FedEx to Chicago, so we want to start working on things for the NVC right away so that when they ask for stuff, we have it all immediately ready to send!

Your wife is your sponsor even if she earns nothing. So she must still complete an I-864 even if she has no income whatsoever.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

OK thank you for clarifying that. So I suppose my wife checks the box that says "I am the petitioner" and then her uncle checks "I am the only joint sponsor" right?

Thanks everybody for all your help.

OK thank you for clarifying that. So I suppose my wife checks the box that says "I am the petitioner" and then her uncle checks "I am the only joint sponsor" right?

Thanks everybody for all your help.

That is correct.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.