Korruptor

Name change on Vietnamese Passport

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So today I went to the SF Vietnam Embassy to get my wife's name changed to her married name on her Vietnamese Passport and was told by the lady there that name change on passport can't not be done, the only thing she they can do is make a note on the observation page. She also said that we need our Green Card or US Passport to make that change. Is that correct? Anyone have their name changed before on their VN Passport that can help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I will ask the question: why do you want to do this? The passport is essentially worthless outside VN.

Nothing is easy with the VN bureaucracy. Here is the typically vague and confusing page from the embassy about passports >>> http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular/vietnamese-passport The renewal instructions ask for the US passport or Green Card.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with it.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I don't see why not as it can be use as a form of ID in the US. Her CA ID is taking ages to get here. If it's just a notation of the new name on the passport, I don't see why they can't just do it with what I had on me rather than requiring a US Passport or GC.

Timeline

Their passport, their rules.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My nephew was told that he was not allowed to give his son a non-Vietnamese name even though the child was born. My nephew has filed his DS-260. He intends to file a DS-260 for his son as a derivative beneficiary. They are leaving for America in a few months. No American names was what they were told.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

DC embassy just required a name change from the local US court - if name change wasn't reflected on your marriage documents. However the name change will only reflect on the notation page as stated above.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

DC embassy just required a name change from the local US court - if name change wasn't reflected on your marriage documents. However the name change will only reflect on the notation page as stated above.

That's what I don't understand, I have all the legal documents with the married name on it and they still won't do it without the GC or US Passport. Told me to come back with it to get the notation and no fee.

• 1 year later...
Timeline

^Well the Embassy rarely deviates from their script. I found it silly but they want green card or a court order so I just gave them what they wanted.

ROC Timeline

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife wants to travel to Vietnam when she gets her greencard.  Her Vietnamese passport is to expire in year 2020.  Her Vietnamese passport has her maiden name before marriage.    Now that she is married and only her last name changed to non-Vietnamese name.  I am confused as to if she needs to renew her Vietnamese passport and reflect the name change as noted above in the notation page OR can she apply for a Vietnamese travel visa using her greencard?  

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

Timeline
4 hours ago, poh said:

My wife wants to travel to Vietnam when she gets her greencard.  Her Vietnamese passport is to expire in year 2020.  Her Vietnamese passport has her maiden name before marriage.    Now that she is married and only her last name changed to non-Vietnamese name.  I am confused as to if she needs to renew her Vietnamese passport and reflect the name change as noted above in the notation page OR can she apply for a Vietnamese travel visa using her greencard?  

Since she still not become US Citizens yet, she must use her VN Passport to enter VN. Also, get the name change on VN Passport is not easy,and it not required.

Edited by H&T

Timeline

No she doesn’t need to reflect the name change. Most Viet keep their maiden names even when married. 

We needed a court order to add the notation in her passport and the name change was added on the notation page.

I would still book any air travel with what is on her bio page.  She can’t travel on her green card and does not need a visa when she is using her Viet passport.

ROC Timeline

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi guys, my wife just had her married name noted in the notation page, but the consulate in New York put a "SIGN HERE" sticker pointing under her new name.

Does that mean she has to sign under her new name? Thanks.

IMG-20171211-WA0006.jpg

Edited by hollandfriend

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.