Bn&Dw

Does applying for a K3 cause any delays in the i130 petition process?

35 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

We have sent our i130 petition last month and it was routed to the Nebraska Service Centre with a PD of January 25th. This morning my husband sent the i129f petition for the K3 visa. I read a lot of horrible things about this visa and apparently, it doesn't even get granted anymore. I didn't really want my husband to apply for it as it seems useless but he still did it this morning. I am not happy about this at all. I also read that this could have a negative impact on the processing of our i130 petition and could add extra months of delay in processing the i130.

This would be nice if someone could confirm this information for me. I really hope that his mistake won't change our i130 priority date. Any thoughts?

First meeting: 04/14/12

Wedding: 11/23/15

i130 petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox: 01/20/16

NOA1: 01/26/16 (Notice Date written on I-797c)

NOA2: ???

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey everyone,

We have sent our i130 petition last month and it was routed to the Nebraska Service Centre with a PD of January 25th. This morning my husband sent the i129f petition for the K3 visa. I read a lot of horrible things about this visa and apparently, it doesn't even get granted anymore. I didn't really want my husband to apply for it as it seems useless but he still did it this morning. I am not happy about this at all. I also read that this could have a negative impact on the processing of our i130 petition and could add extra months of delay in processing the i130.

This would be nice if someone could confirm this information for me. I really hope that his mistake won't change our i130 priority date. Any thoughts?

I initially filed K3, and once it was approved at USCIS and sent to NVC, it was converted into a CR-1. I do not think there were any negative implications, for the majority of the process I seemed to be on the same timeline as my CR-1 counterparts with similar filing dates.

As a side note, I get your husband, I had spoken with some K3 grantees they were very few and far between. However, against all vj'ers advice and at the risk of being separated from my husband I took my chances and filed K3. In the end, I do not think it hurt me time-wise other than they switched it to a CR-1. Good luck to you.

Met in and lived in beneficiary's country 2010-2012

Applied 2012-Approved K1 in 2013 (approx 8 months Noa1-approval)- decided to postpone marriage and live together in beneficiary's country before marriage.

Married 11/30/13 -lived together until filing

Filed for K3-04/06/2015

Noa1 04/06/15

Noa2 08/06/15

NVC case # 09/18/2015-case became CR1 (it's true what they say K3 is obsolete-don't even attempt it)

Paid AOS 09/18/2015

Paid 261 09/23/2015

Sent AOS and IV packed 10/07/15

Scan date 10/08/15

DS-260 10/14/2015

11/10/2015 Found out I had a checklist

11/18/2015 Scan date for information they needed after talking to someone over the phone regarding checklist

11/19/2015 FINALLY recieved actual checklist

11/30/2015 Sent one more extra tax transcript to avoid any possible further checklists

12/16/2015 Requested an Expedite

12/29/2015 Expedite approved, case being sent immediately to Embassy/awaiting interview date

12/31/2015- CEAC shows case as IN TRANSIT

1/11/2016- CEAC shows READY

1/14/2016-Received interview date/packet-case became IR1 (married more then 2 years)

Medical Scheduled 1/22/2016

Medical Completed

Interview Scheduled 2/18/2016

VISA APPROVED 2/18/2016

2/19/2016 VISA ISSUED

3/05/2016 ENTERED USA!!!!

3/16/2016-Paid GC fee

4/25/2016-Received GC in mail!!!!

I really hope the the i129f won't mess things up for us...

I initially filed K3, and once it was approved at USCIS and sent to NVC, it was converted into a CR-1. I do not think there were any negative implications, for the majority of the process I seemed to be on the same timeline as my CR-1 counterparts with similar filing dates.

As a side note, I get your husband, I had spoken with some K3 grantees they were very few and far between. However, against all vj'ers advice and at the risk of being separated from my husband I took my chances and filed K3. In the end, I do not think it hurt me time-wise other than they switched it to a CR-1. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your reply. Our case is a bit different though as we applied for the CR1 in the first place and then submitted the i129f petition for the K3 a few weeks later.

Edited by Bn&Dw

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

When my lawyer filed my cr1 immigration can back and said he could file the k3 with it so it would go faster, so you will be fine? No worries

When my lawyer filed my cr1 immigration can back and said he could file the k3 with it so it would go faster, so you will be fine? No worries

Thank you. But I see that your i130 took a year to get approved. Do you think thatbit was because of the K3?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you. But I see that your i130 took a year to get approved. Do you think thatbit was because of the K3?

No, it has to do with when you file and if uscis is processing on time or if they are behind, it is on a first come first serve bases, and my husband petition was transferred because the California service center was way behind and once it got to Texas it moved faster

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. Our case is a bit different though as we applied for the CR1 in the first place and then submitted the i129f petition for the K3 a few weeks later.

Your case isn't different, that is typically how you file for a K3, you can't file the i-129f until you get the reciept of the i130.

Met in and lived in beneficiary's country 2010-2012

Applied 2012-Approved K1 in 2013 (approx 8 months Noa1-approval)- decided to postpone marriage and live together in beneficiary's country before marriage.

Married 11/30/13 -lived together until filing

Filed for K3-04/06/2015

Noa1 04/06/15

Noa2 08/06/15

NVC case # 09/18/2015-case became CR1 (it's true what they say K3 is obsolete-don't even attempt it)

Paid AOS 09/18/2015

Paid 261 09/23/2015

Sent AOS and IV packed 10/07/15

Scan date 10/08/15

DS-260 10/14/2015

11/10/2015 Found out I had a checklist

11/18/2015 Scan date for information they needed after talking to someone over the phone regarding checklist

11/19/2015 FINALLY recieved actual checklist

11/30/2015 Sent one more extra tax transcript to avoid any possible further checklists

12/16/2015 Requested an Expedite

12/29/2015 Expedite approved, case being sent immediately to Embassy/awaiting interview date

12/31/2015- CEAC shows case as IN TRANSIT

1/11/2016- CEAC shows READY

1/14/2016-Received interview date/packet-case became IR1 (married more then 2 years)

Medical Scheduled 1/22/2016

Medical Completed

Interview Scheduled 2/18/2016

VISA APPROVED 2/18/2016

2/19/2016 VISA ISSUED

3/05/2016 ENTERED USA!!!!

3/16/2016-Paid GC fee

4/25/2016-Received GC in mail!!!!

Yes filing the I-129F can slow your case down. When you file it, the I-130 is pulled out of line and put with the I-129F at the end of the line. Now if your case is over due it can be beneficial. Very rarely they go to different service centers but it's USCIS policy to adjudicate them together.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Yes filing the I-129F can slow your case down. When you file it, the I-130 is pulled out of line and put with the I-129F at the end of the line. Now if your case is over due it can be beneficial. Very rarely they go to different service centers but it's USCIS policy to adjudicate them together.

I really hope that it won't be the case. This sounds unfair :(

Edited by Bn&Dw

This is a real nightmare

This is a real nightmare

Not really. A nightmare would be breaking up before your interview. A nightmare would be divorcing soon after arriving. A nightmare would be your spouse suddenly passing away. This is just immigration. It's just a lack of control over your own future which sucks big time, but not a nightmare.

The process is going. Keep yourself busy is the best advice anyone can give. Visit all the friends and family you can and pare down your possesions.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Not really. A nightmare would be breaking up before your interview. A nightmare would be divorcing soon after arriving. A nightmare would be your spouse suddenly passing away. This is just immigration. It's just a lack of control over your own future which sucks big time, but not a nightmare.

The process is going. Keep yourself busy is the best advice anyone can give. Visit all the friends and family you can and pare down your possesions.

I know that I got carried away but knowing that he deployed for months before returning to the states and will deploy again once I get there....all this time adds up. It is a situation of deployment followed by immigration followed by deployment. It would be less stressful if at least he wouldnt have to deploy by the time the immigration will be finished.

Also I moved to the UK to be with him and I have no family nor friends at all here.

Edited by Bn&Dw

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Does applying for a K3 cause any delays in the i130 petition process?

Yes. The I-130 is yanked out of it's place in the queue,

and put at the end of the queue with the newly placed I-129F.

as to how long is it going to delay the processing? it depends on:

1. duration between I-130 filing and I-129F filing plus

2. duration on joining up the two casefiles at a service center.

Sorry.

Also I moved to the UK to be with him and I have no family nor friends at all here.

is he still in the UK? are you with him? If yes, look into a Direct Consular Filing of the I-130, into the London USCIS office. Sure, it's yet another filing plus money, but if'n yer looking to shave time, well - there's a path.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.