ainteven

Intent to Marry a part of the Military

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys! This is my very first time to ask here in VJ. I have a boyfriend who is in New Mexico. He works as a recruiter in the US Army. By far I know he is a SFC. He is now planning to come here. Target date is in June or July since school semester is a very busy time for him going to different schools recruiting students who wants to be a part of the Military. In June they will move him to the southern part I think if New Mexico.

We are planning to apply for a K1 Visa after his visit here. But I also want to consider getting married here in the Philippines but we were thinking it might take longer for him to get me if we choose to get married here in the Philippines. Suggestions, anyone? It would be a very big help. Plus, how long does it usually take for the application to get done until approved?

Thank you so much! Would highly appreciate your answers! Take care! :)

Ish A. :dancing:

That's a decision only you and your fiance can make. What matters more to you? Getting married in the Philippines or be with him faster in the States?

Read this: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

It can help with your decision.

How long does it take? It varies. Depends on a lot of things like where your petition is adjudicated, if you get an RFE/if you have a complete petition, etc. Can be as quick as a couple of days for NOA2 or can go up to a year. Maybe set your expectations to 5 months or more. Best not to have expectations at all on adjudication speed.

Good luck!

Edited by iammrsregie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Unanswered duplicate thread removed; this thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's a decision only you and your fiance can make. What matters more to you? Getting married in the Philippines or be with him faster in the States?

How long does it take? It varies. Depends on a lot of things like where your petition is adjudicated, if you get an RFE/if you have a complete petition, etc. Can be as quick as a couple of days for NOA2 or can go up to a year. Maybe set your expectations to 5 months or more. Best not to have expectations at all on adjudication speed.

Good luck!

I would prefer to be with him in the US faster cuz honestly this long distance relationship sucks. It's just sad that my loved ones won'y be able to come on one of the most important days of my life. I might just consider getting married in the PH again soon. :)

If we choose to apply for K1 Visa, same timeframe? 5 months or more? Does it make it easier to get a visa that he's in the military? Or we have to go through the same process just like everyone else did?

Thanks for the link btw! :)

Edited by ainteven

Ish A. :dancing:

I would prefer to be with him in the US faster cuz honestly this long distance relationship sucks. It's just sad that my loved ones won'y be able to come on one of the most important days of my life. I might just consider getting married in the PH again soon. :)

If we choose to apply for K1 Visa, same timeframe? 5 months or more? Does it make it easier to get a visa that he's in the military? Or we have to go through the same process just like everyone else did?

Thanks for the link btw! :)

Him being in the military doesn't affect anything unless he has orders to deploy or for PCS. If he does, then you can request for expedite. If no orders, then you get adjudicated same as everyone else.

K1 visa is the faster route. Like I said, can be less than 5 months, can be more than that. It really depends.

Hey.

My husband and I decided for CR1 route rather than K1. You guys should look up more info here about K1 process and CR1 and make a decision together what's better for you two.

In our opinion is better & cheaper to do CR1. We got married, filled for CR1 immediately. Besides people from Phillipines have faster process, most of The cases I have seen auto expedited. When it comes to military it has 0 effect on the process unless You have orders. Then You can expedite. We wanted to expedite but we are awating orders still.

At least when we got married we got out of way getting my military dependant ID, adding me to DEERS, insurance so we Dont have to worry about any of that. :)

And I will get GC straight away instead of getting visa to come to The States then get married and file for adjusment.

K1 might be faster but it also can be about The same timeframe. And we also were advised to go CR1 route when my husband went ask for a legal advice at work.

Good luck!

I-130 sent: 28th of October, 2015
USCIS received I-130: 2nd of November, 2015
NOA1 - text message: 4th of November, 2015
CASE routed to Nebraska Service Center
NOA1 - mail: About a week later - not sure about the exact date
NOA2 - 8th of March, 2016

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 6th of June, 2016
AOS delivered/picked up - 7th of June, 2016

3x NOA1 via e-mail/text - 20JUNE, 2016

3x NOA1 hard copy - 24JUNE, 2016

Biometrics letter - 30JUNE, 2016 (appointment date 07/15/2016)

Biometrics done - 1JULY, 2016

Interview for GC scheduled - 15 August, 2016 (date was 15 September, 2016)

EAD/AP approval - 23 AUGUST, 2016

EAD/AP received - 30 AUGUST, 2016

Interview rescheduled - 13 September, 2016

Interview date - 18 October, 2016

Removal of Conditions 

I-751 packet sent: 13th of September, 2018 (Texas),

Text notification of case received : 20th of September, 2018 (receipt number SRC xxxx]

Biometrics: REUSED, notice 22 MAY, 2019

Case transferred: 25 JULY, 2019

N-400

Applied online: 24 JULY, 2019

NOA: 24 JULY, 2010

Biometrics: Appointment scheduled on 8/3/2019 for 22 AUGUST, 2019

Biometrics: successful WALK IN on 8 AUGUST, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL) 

Biometrics: "We reviewed your biometrics" update 8 AUGUST, 2019 

Estimated time of completion: November 2019 (3 months)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.