mervin338

re entry permit

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife had her I-131 approved last year, as part of her I-485 and 797, but I don't have any sort of piece of paper or stamp in her passport that says "re entry permit." They didn't give us anything at the bio-metrics appointment either. This may sound silly, but where the heck is she supposed to find this permit that she's supposedly been approved for? Is it hard-coded into her green card?

Is the approval notice we received from USCIS her permit?

~~moved to travelling and working during immigraiton from K1 process and procedures~~

That I-131 was her advanced parole. She doesn't need a reentry permit with a green card unless she plans on staying out of the USA for a year or more. With the green card (and passport) she can leave and enter the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

~~moved to travelling and working during immigraiton from K1 process and procedures~~

That I-131 was her advanced parole. She doesn't need a reentry permit with a green card unless she plans on staying out of the USA for a year or more. With the green card (and passport) she can leave and enter the USA.

The I-131 is her also her application for a re-entry permit. And leaving the US for a long period of time is exactly what she plans on doing, which is why I'm asking. All these forms have been approved, but we still don't have any sort of card, or stamps that says re-entry permit. She'll be gone for 6 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

I think you are confused, the same form serves as advance parole when a person is adjusting status, or if the person has a green card and wants to live abroad due to a certain situation for up to 2 years, the same form serves as reentry permit

what your wife filed last year was the advance parole to travel until she had her interview, she could have gotten the combo card ead/advance parole

She only need a re-entry permit (which is applied separately from advance parole from the AOS - which means ANOTHER I-131) if she plans on staying out of the country for 1-2 years.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Her I-131, advance parole, that was from the AOS is not the same as a re-entry permit for someone staying outside the USA for extended periods of time.

Keep in mind she just got her green card. Is staying outside the USA for 6+ months a good idea when she needs to be applying for ROC in 2 years. I don't care why you need it, so no explanation is needed here, obviously; however it's something to put into your mind to think about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

ditto,

as I said, she applied for advance parole, which was canceled once she had her GC, she doesn't need a reentry permit to travel for 6 months

if for some reason she would need to be out of the US for over a year, she must apply for the reentry permit, which would be filing another i131, but this time as a reentry permit after she got her GC

Timeline

Her I-131, advance parole, that was from the AOS is not the same as a re-entry permit for someone staying outside the USA for extended periods of time.

Keep in mind she just got her green card. Is staying outside the USA for 6+ months a good idea when she needs to be applying for ROC in 2 years. I don't care why you need it, so no explanation is needed here, obviously; however it's something to put into your mind to think about.

Got it, thanks for clarifying. And yes, I was very confused.

hi

ditto,

as I said, she applied for advance parole, which was canceled once she had her GC, she doesn't need a reentry permit to travel for 6 months

if for some reason she would need to be out of the US for over a year, she must apply for the reentry permit, which would be filing another i131, but this time as a reentry permit after she got her GC

Thanks for your explanation.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife had her I-131 approved last year, as part of her I-485 and 797, but I don't have any sort of piece of paper or stamp in her passport that says "re entry permit." They didn't give us anything at the bio-metrics appointment either. This may sound silly, but where the heck is she supposed to find this permit that she's supposedly been approved for? Is it hard-coded into her green card?

Is the approval notice we received from USCIS her permit?

The AP card will be mailed to her. this notice is not the permit.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.