RexAra

K1/K2 - letter of consent from the other parent

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, does anyone know if a letter of consent from the other parent is mandatory or required to show on the day of the interview? My problem is that my ex-husband will not consent for me taking our 2 children to live abroad as he is facing a custodial sentence in February in a Crown Court for domestic violence, stalking and harassment. Will the embassy still ask me for a letter from him even if he's in prison? I can not provide this due to bail conditions/restraining order that he is not allowed to have any contact with me either directly or indirectly. Will a written evidence (court letter) confirming his custodial sentence be enough reason for me not providing a consent letter from him?

Please help. Thank you.

Do you have proof of sole custody?

If yes then you should be fine. Also providing proof of the restraining order etc would be helpful.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello, does anyone know if a letter of consent from the other parent is mandatory or required to show on the day of the interview? My problem is that my ex-husband will not consent for me taking our 2 children to live abroad as he is facing a custodial sentence in February in a Crown Court for domestic violence, stalking and harassment. Will the embassy still ask me for a letter from him even if he's in prison? I can not provide this due to bail conditions/restraining order that he is not allowed to have any contact with me either directly or indirectly. Will a written evidence (court letter) confirming his custodial sentence be enough reason for me not providing a consent letter from him?

Please help. Thank you.

Email the Embassy and ask... THEY are the ones who know what they will want.

Many folks, it seems, are very reluctant to ask the Embassy. Maybe they worry that their case will be highlighted. That is not the case. They are there to help you. Ask them.

Usually the letter is required, but your case is unique.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Do you have proof of sole custody?

If yes then you should be fine. Also providing proof of the restraining order etc would be helpful.

In the UK, both parents have parental responsibility if both are named in the child's birth certificate, even after a divorce. We don't have "custody" here. Both my children are living with me. My ex has no made any attempt to contact them through the social services' contact centre since his arrest last year and has never paid child support. But still need his consent/permission for me to take the children to relocate.

Timeline

Email the Embassy and ask... THEY are the ones who know what they will want.

Many folks, it seems, are very reluctant to ask the Embassy. Maybe they worry that their case will be highlighted. That is not the case. They are there to help you. Ask them.

Usually the letter is required, but your case is unique.

Thank you for your reply. I will email the Embassy and ask as you suggested. I was hoping someone in this forum might have gone through the same or if there is a bit of leniency in a case such as mine.

I am really in a difficult position in acquiring such consent as I know for a fact that my ex would not give it, especially if he finds out that I have moved on with my life and starting a new life abroad with the kids.

Again, thank you for your suggestion.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Take proof of everything you've stated here to the embassy with you for your interview. Court records, court rulings, everything you have on his charges, restraining order, and non support.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I phoned the embassy today but there is no facility to speak to someone regarding such enquiry. Their website has recently been updated and has no email facility either :(

Keep trying and there must be an email method.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I phoned the embassy today but there is no facility to speak to someone regarding such enquiry. Their website has recently been updated and has no email facility either :(

I am having my final hearing in March. Only difference is I had no contact with my ex for 6 months and then he got back in contact and said he was fine for us to move. But he lives in the US and we are on 'civil' terms. I say civil, he can be very rude and nasty at times but only in text as I won't talk to him on the phone as that is his time with our daughter. He also does not pay child support but emailed the court to let them know he was ok for her to move. I still have to go though court because I had a residential order. You can get permission from the court but they will want to do an assessment that this is in the best interests of the children and not you putting your needs first (I've been accused of this in the past even though it was completely untrue).

They wanted me to write a report to do with health care, education, housing, finances, my fiance's relationship with my daughter and how her dad intends to be involved (or not as it seems). They also wanted to see photos of our home which was a nightmare as I had to clean everything as he'd just moved into a new house so the girls could have their own bedrooms.

If you can't get permission from your ex you will need to get it from the court or legally he could say you kidnapped them. My ex can't do that to me as he lives there so it'd be benefiting him for me to move. But because your ex lives here and you are going though court you need to consult the judge about it.

What you have may be enough but it may again not be. Email the embassy.

Edited by AMZJ

K-1 Jan 2016 Applicant timeline.

I-129f sent to lock box 7th January 2016.
Delivered 11th January 2016.
NOA1 sent to CSC January 14th 2016.
NOA1 Hard copy January 21st 2016.
RFE email 10th March 2016.
RFE hard copy - 21th March 2016.
RFE Evidence sent- 4th April 2016.
RFE Received by USCIS- 6th April 2016.
NOA2 Received by email dated 18th April 2016.
NOA2 hard copy - April 21st 2016
NVC Recieved- May 9th 2016.
NVC number received- May 9th 2016.
DS-160 filled out - 9th May 2016.
Medical - May 18th 2016
CEAC in Transit - 11th May 2016.
CEAC update embassy received medical- may 24th 2016
Interview- June 15th 2016. - approved!!
POE- July 13th 2016 -Chicago

Married July 18th 2016. (L)

AOS

Package sent- August 18th 2016

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox- August 20th 2016.

NOA 1 - August 25th 2016 (text received 27th).

AP NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (text received 27th).

EAD NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (email received 27th).

NOA1 Hard copies received- September 1st 2016.

Bio-metrics- 20th September 2016.

Request Initial Information for I-485 - October 6th 2016.

RFIE- Affidavit Support information October 11th 2016.

RFIE- Response sent Overnight USPS. October 17th 2016.

RFIE- Delivered October 18th 2016.

RFIE- Received by USCIS October 20th 2016.

EAD- Card Being produced November 17th 2016.

AP- Approved November 17th 2016.

Timeline

I am having my final hearing in March. Only difference is I had no contact with my ex for 6 months and then he got back in contact and said he was fine for us to move. But he lives in the US and we are on 'civil' terms. I say civil, he can be very rude and nasty at times but only in text as I won't talk to him on the phone as that is his time with our daughter. He also does not pay child support but emailed the court to let them know he was ok for her to move. I still have to go though court because I had a residential order. You can get permission from the court but they will want to do an assessment that this is in the best interests of the children and not you putting your needs first (I've been accused of this in the past even though it was completely untrue).

They wanted me to write a report to do with health care, education, housing, finances, my fiance's relationship with my daughter and how her dad intends to be involved (or not as it seems). They also wanted to see photos of our home which was a nightmare as I had to clean everything as he'd just moved into a new house so the girls could have their own bedrooms.

If you can't get permission from your ex you will need to get it from the court or legally he could say you kidnapped them. My ex can't do that to me as he lives there so it'd be benefiting him for me to move. But because your ex lives here and you are going though court you need to consult the judge about it.

What you have may be enough but it may again not be. Email the embassy.

Thank you very much. This is very informative. Is the final hearing in March for a court order? How long is the process? That is what I am worried about, that he might accuse me of kidnapping once he's out of prison and paid his time sentencing (just to be spiteful). The prosecution team is confident that we'll get a conviction due to overwhelming evidences and the fact that the case was forwarded to the Crown court denotes how serious his offences were. Hopefully, the situation will help me get a court order quicker, if that is the only way.

Sorry, I got a bit confused with your case. Your ex lives in the US but you and your daughter are here in the UK applying for a K1/K2 visa? And still need a court order to take your daughter to the US?

• 1 month later...

hi RexAra, saw your post and understand your situation slightly. He has parental rights as you were married. you need his permission to take the children out of country to immigrate. some states in usa will also want proof that you have the other parents permission to enrol his children in their school. they need to be sure the children have not been abducted. Maybe consult a lawyer in regards to this due to your ex maybe serving time in prison as i dont know how this will affect things. Im going through court to get a specific issue order to take my child out on k2 visa and he didnt have parental rights but he put interdict on the passport so they could not travel hence forcing us into court to get permission from a court.Could your ex do this even from prison if hes trying to stop you leaving. My court route isnt quick though. hope you get the answer your looking for.

Timeline

hi RexAra, saw your post and understand your situation slightly. He has parental rights as you were married. you need his permission to take the children out of country to immigrate. some states in usa will also want proof that you have the other parents permission to enrol his children in their school. they need to be sure the children have not been abducted. Maybe consult a lawyer in regards to this due to your ex maybe serving time in prison as i dont know how this will affect things. Im going through court to get a specific issue order to take my child out on k2 visa and he didnt have parental rights but he put interdict on the passport so they could not travel hence forcing us into court to get permission from a court.Could your ex do this even from prison if hes trying to stop you leaving. My court route isnt quick though. hope you get the answer your looking for.

Yes, I have started my application to the Court for Child Arrangements Order that the children reside with me in case he does something nasty, I will be guaranteed that they will be returned to me and also the more important Specific Issue Order for removal from the jurisdiction so that the children can move with me to the US.

We have our Notice of Proceedings (initial hearing) on 14th March. I have no idea how long the process will take but I have made the Court aware that our visa approval notice expires on 12th May and that school starts in San Diego, CA in mid-July.

The ex pleaded guilty to the Domestic Violence offences and is awaiting sentencing tomorrow (7th March). A Restraining Order is in place. Hopefully, the situation will help make the Court Order process a bit quicker.

Glad you've started the procedure for permission to remove children. The thing that slows it down is getting court appearance time( they need to fit you in ) and if he contests it it may slow things down.

Your visa when approved will be valid for 6 months from date of your medical so you will have till September to enter the usa( assuming medical was In march).

I understand getting the children into school for when it starts that is my aim also- though im heading to Ohio which is mid August. One thing to note is that the American Embassy have been great with my case as my visas were all approved and sent out only for me to ask them to reissue them as they had expired due to interdict/ court proceedings .Not a problem for them, my case is on hold. i just need to redo medicals, interview and of course repay all the fees again( costly but i know when i have approval from the courts I'm free to go ). good luck.

Hey just thought i'd share my story of obtaining parental consent to remove a child out of the country. My child was born in the UK (she's now 8) at the age of 3 we moved back to Australia where I'm originally from. In 4 1/2 years we had no contact with the father, he paid no child support nor did he respond to calls, emails ect. so I wondered if I would need consent from him as he didn't even live in the same country as us, I tried to get information from the embassy but just kept getting an email reply saying i'd need the consent, which seemed totally stupid to me, anyways after huge amounts of hassle and having to involve a lawyer we tracked him down and got the requested notarized letter.

At my interview i wasn't asked for it, so I mentioned to the lady interviewing me that I had it, she wasn't even interested in seeing it which kinda annoyed me considering all the trouble I went through to get it, she said it was up to me if I am legally able to remove my child, meaning that I don't have any court orders preventing me from leaving with my daughter.

All embassy's seem to differ so keep that in mind but for me it seems like I really didn't need it. :)

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Your right the embassy's dont ask about other parents consent- I assume they think youve got permission if required as otherwise it would be child abduction. When i went for my interview i wasnt asked if the father had given me permission.

The tricky bit is if he suddenly wants his child back then he could go to court and lodge papers for her to be returned. Or if he suddenly decides at last minute to put interdict on their passport so he can decide if he wants to see them-

If the other parent has Parental rights its best to get approval from the parent left behind.

All countires are different in regards to these laws. best ask a lawyer.

Nice to hear you were lucky and had no issues as he agreed to his child moving to USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.