bloopygirl

Newbies to the US from Canada: Anyone else having trouble adjusting?

410 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Guys I think I'm getting used to living in NJ finally. I went to visit my parents a couple weeks ago and I didn't even crave tim hortons lol. I just missed wawa and having someone pump my gas for me. hahahaha

4/21/2016 - Got green card! :) No immigration worries til 2018!

Guys I think I'm getting used to living in NJ finally. I went to visit my parents a couple weeks ago and I didn't even crave tim hortons lol. I just missed wawa and having someone pump my gas for me. hahahaha

I had that realization the other day when the husband and I were discussing places to move and I realized I was more into staying here.

I don't blame you! Wawa is awesome. Their sandwiches are so convenient when driving long distances/to the beach. (The only thing better is a pub sub but we don't have those up here, wah).

I am so excited to not have to pump my own gas once I finally get my driver's license.

K1, EAD/AP + AOS + ROC = 0 RFE's

Next step: Citizenship!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had that realization the other day when the husband and I were discussing places to move and I realized I was more into staying here.

I don't blame you! Wawa is awesome. Their sandwiches are so convenient when driving long distances/to the beach. (The only thing better is a pub sub but we don't have those up here, wah).

I am so excited to not have to pump my own gas once I finally get my driver's license.

We are probably going to move in a couple years because the property tax here is too crazy :( I like it here though, mostly, and yeah driving to the ocean is so nice..

Are you having trouble getting an NJ license or is it just your first time getting any license?

4/21/2016 - Got green card! :) No immigration worries til 2018!

We are probably going to move in a couple years because the property tax here is too crazy :( I like it here though, mostly, and yeah driving to the ocean is so nice..

Are you having trouble getting an NJ license or is it just your first time getting any license?

Yeah the property taxes are definitely up there and I can't believe you have to pay an exit tax if you want to move out of state!

I have a half license lol. I was in the process of getting it in Canada for the first time. Did my G1, most of the driving lessons and then moved here (before ever doing the road test), where I was told I wouldn't be able to get a proper license until I had my EAD in hand. Which of course I found out recently to be untrue. Hoping to have that all sorted within the next month.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So for those in the Washington state area, Fred Meyer / Kroger is now selling a few things - Skor bars. Tim's Cascade potato chips now have a new dill pickle flavour! (pretty good too!) And they have Ruffles all dressed!!!! Sort of. It's the American version advertised as the #1 flavour in Canada and there's a silly explanation of all dressed being not just wearing your clothes, or something. It's okay, but not quite the same 'bite' as the Canadian version. My guess is they tamed down the vinegar. But, it's something!

dill1.jpg

ruffles2.jpg

ruffles3.jpg

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sprouts has Dill Pickle chips!! they are kettle type chips.. very good!!!

My favorite are Deep River new York Deli Dill Pickle Chips.. they are better then lays! not sure what they put in them.. but they are BOMB!!! Harder to find

Also, Kettle Brands.. aka Kettle Chips now have a Dill Pickle Chip!!!! (whole foods and krogers have them)

At this point if i moved back to canada i would be craving Poke!! (i love raw fish) and some good froyo!!! lol I am not really a big snacker anymore.. i think because i am getting older and i dont work out as much as i should! haha

As for coffee.. i love tims, but i also just make whatever and it tastes good.. im not an espresso or fancy kinda person.. i get up early for work so i love it strong and black:) and i learned a 'red eye' means black coffee with 3 shots of espresso!! so thats when im really needing a boost!!!! 7/11 has some great coffee as well:)

Sprouts has Dill Pickle chips!! they are kettle type chips.. very good!!!

My favorite are Deep River new York Deli Dill Pickle Chips.. they are better then lays! not sure what they put in them.. but they are BOMB!!! Harder to find

Also, Kettle Brands.. aka Kettle Chips now have a Dill Pickle Chip!!!! (whole foods and krogers have them)

At this point if i moved back to canada i would be craving Poke!! (i love raw fish) and some good froyo!!! lol I am not really a big snacker anymore.. i think because i am getting older and i dont work out as much as i should! haha

As for coffee.. i love tims, but i also just make whatever and it tastes good.. im not an espresso or fancy kinda person.. i get up early for work so i love it strong and black:) and i learned a 'red eye' means black coffee with 3 shots of espresso!! so thats when im really needing a boost!!!! 7/11 has some great coffee as well:)

Not to sound like the pretentious former barista that I am (haha), a red eye is actually only one shot of espresso. A black eye is two and what you're ordering is a purple eye ;).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to sound like the pretentious former barista that I am (haha), a red eye is actually only one shot of espresso. A black eye is two and what you're ordering is a purple eye ;).

haha thanks for clearing that up!! i actually thought it was 3 so i feel better when i order a red eye its only one lol

Timeline

Meh...we tried the All dressed and were disappointed :( My daughter was beyond excited when she brought them home after finding them at the grocery store (Giant in VA)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

They already stopped selling them here :(

They weren't the same but they filled in the crack till I could get the good ones.

Dill pickle is all over here no problems finding that.

I miss Ringolo's and BBQ corn chips. I don't want chili corn chips or any other gross combo of it.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got 2 bags of All Dressed Ruffles at Ralph's a few weeks ago and now I can't find them.

I guess they stopped carrying them already, but I'm hoping they were just out of stock.

It's true they are not as good, but still good enough for me to buy them. My husband stared liking them too.

AOS

Spoiler

Feb. 4 2016: Mailed package to Chicago lockbox

Feb. 8 2016: AOS received by Chicago lockbox
Feb. 15 2016: NOA1 email

Feb. 26 2016: NOA1 hard copies

Feb. 29 2016: Biometrics letter

Mar. 7 2016: Biometrics done

Mar. 15 2016: RFIE for I-485 email

Mar. 29 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 8 2016: Second RFIE

Apr. 20 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 28 2016: AP approved

May 6 2016: Interview notice

May 23 2016: AP hard copy

June 13 2016: Interview, approved!! Online status changed to My Card Is Being Produced

June 14 2016: Online status changed to My Case Was Approved

June 17 2016: Online status changed to My Card Was Mailed To Me

June 18 2016: Green card received

ROC

Spoiler

Mar. 19, 2018: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Mar. 20, 2018: I-751 delivered to CSC

Mar. 26 2018: NOA date

Mar. 30, 2018: Received NOA

May 11, 2018: Reuse of biometrics notice date

April 23, 2019: Case approved

April 30, 2019: Card received

Naturalization

Sept. 25, 2020: submitted N-400 online (Estimated Case Completion: May 2021 (8 months))

Oct. 3, 2020: NOA received by mail

Apr. 17, 2021: biometrics re-use letter 

May 3, 2021: interview scheduled for June 4

Timeline

I miss No Name raisin and almond granola in the yellow club pack bag. The granola I've found is super sugary and flavoured.

Timeline

Oh I know - I miss that granola too. Try Udi's brand (gluten free) Wildflower Honey + Oat granola (At Target in VA).........darn close minus the raisins (which frankly were hard as rocks anyway).

It sucks that everything else is either loaded with fat or for some reason has coconut in it.

I miss No Name raisin and almond granola in the yellow club pack bag. The granola I've found is super sugary and flavoured.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

In the US they still use terrible measurements like pounds, feet, miles, fahrenheit, etc.

They also have daylight savings time which is patently useless.

other than that, welcome!

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.