bloopygirl

Newbies to the US from Canada: Anyone else having trouble adjusting?

410 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Albertans know about donairs only because of Maritimers.

And no one makes a donair like the guys at King of Donair in Halifax. Just don't even try.

And no one makes a donair like the guys at King of Donair in Halifax. Just don't even try.

Agreed !!

Hold onto your hat its going to be a bumpy ride!!

but don't worry you'll get through it :luv:

Ive never even been further east than Montreal and before that, Toronto. Interesting how proud everyone is of their region. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just saw some friends on Facebook having them the other day...really jealous

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, being from Halifax I've mostly heard that they're a Maritime thing. Although a KOD popped up briefly in Calgary last month, according to my siblings there was a line of over 100 people for it..not surprised! If anyone here is from Halifax/Dartmouth I really miss the donair poutine from Alexandras.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Yep, being from Halifax I've mostly heard that they're a Maritime thing. Although a KOD popped up briefly in Calgary last month, according to my siblings there was a line of over 100 people for it..not surprised! If anyone here is from Halifax/Dartmouth I really miss the donair poutine from Alexandras.

Really missing it too :(!!

Hold onto your hat its going to be a bumpy ride!!

but don't worry you'll get through it :luv:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep haven never been to the Canadian North East (closest I've been was Maine) and never been in Alberta (Closest being is Montanta) that would explain why I've never heard or seen them before. I thought the North East was more about lobster and crabs than a sweet beef type of dish?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Yep haven never been to the Canadian North East (closest I've been was Maine) and never been in Alberta (Closest being is Montanta) that would explain why I've never heard or seen them before. I thought the North East was more about lobster and crabs than a sweet beef type of dish?

Oh wow! Well, in Nova Scotia/Newfoundland most people I know refer to lobster and crab as "poor people food"...it comes from a time where there wasn't much money, but a lot of fisherman. So most families survived on lobster, crab..so a lot of people equate it with poverty in the region. Those who see it as a specialty item also see the huge price tags. It's a lot cheaper to buy lobster, etc anywhere else but the Atlantic provinces.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow! Well, in Nova Scotia/Newfoundland most people I know refer to lobster and crab as "poor people food"...it comes from a time where there wasn't much money, but a lot of fisherman. So most families survived on lobster, crab..so a lot of people equate it with poverty in the region. Those who see it as a specialty item also see the huge price tags. It's a lot cheaper to buy lobster, etc anywhere else but the Atlantic provinces.

That's funny because I can get seafood cheaper here in Colorado than I can at grocery stores when visiting friends in Florida or New Jersey. Is so odd, but guess it's the same in Canada too along the coast...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ive never even been further east than Montreal and before that, Toronto. Interesting how proud everyone is of their region. :)

No one prouder than a Newfoundlander. Bank on that!

I just saw some friends on Facebook having them the other day...really jealous

That's so unfair! Bastards ...

I'm an Antigonish girl. I need Wheel pizza. Wheel donair pizza.

The lineup was more like several hundred. A friend gave up after waiting in line for two hours. The guys are now looking for a permanent location in Calgary.

The sweet sauce has a drug in it, I swear.

Haha ... yep. My neighbour was a lobster fisherman and he would leave a bucket of live lobster on a back doorstep at the end of the sales day. We got what he didn't sell.

It's a luxury everywhere else I go.

Funny thing ... if you ever go to Red Lobster (and please don't judge me for having gone, my in-laws love the evil place), the servers will break your lobster up for you. I said to our server "don't you dare touch my lobster, you'll steal half the fun of eating it!"

I'm not so sure about that. You haven't met my southern husband who is a honorably discharged veteran. Lol! Murica! Lol!

Personally, I would never live in another province than BC again. Has everything you need.

Lol Western Canadians vs Eastern Canadians. Sounds about normal... rather like North vs South in the US.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Things I have learnt to live without since moving to Alabama:

1) Decent Chinese food. Americanized Chinese food is a crime against humanity. Truly awful. We found one place where you can't taste the MSG in every bite and the ingredients seem fresh so it will be our go to place, I guess...for those times when we are truly desperate.

2) Decent West Indian Food: It doesn't exist. It just doesn't. There are two Jamaican places here...one sucks majorly. I have yet to taste the other but my hopes aren't too high.

3) A little while ago I was at Target I couldn't find shreddies so in my frustration I yelled, "why does this country not have shreddies?!!" in the middle of the aisle. There were three white American girls standing by me and because they assumed I wasn't with my husband, they froze like I was asking them about my cereal issue. I had to tell them that I wasn't. My husband told me to stop pointing out that I wasn't American.

4) Side Walks and Buses: They just don't exist outside a major city center. We have no sidewalks where I live so I need to hurry up and learn how to drive. It kind of sucks.

Things I like about Alabama:

1) Ross, Khols, Marshalls. Everything is better....Winners is slacking on us. Step up your game, Canada.

2) Super Target and Super Walmart. Just....Super. I love them. Its just beautiful. I spend so long looking around, my husband goes into "shut down mode".

3) The Viet food is top notch, way better than what I had in Toronto. I am not even going to attempt having pho in Toronto, it wouldn't live up to how good it is down here.

4) Great Middle Eastern food :)

5) Everyone is really nice so far.

Timeline

WOW from tornto to alabama... that is a culture shcok. Omg!! I dont know how you do that lol

Things I have learnt to live without since moving to Alabama:

1) Decent Chinese food. Americanized Chinese food is a crime against humanity. Truly awful. We found one place where you can't taste the MSG in every bite and the ingredients seem fresh so it will be our go to place, I guess...for those times when we are truly desperate.

2) Decent West Indian Food: It doesn't exist. It just doesn't. There are two Jamaican places here...one sucks majorly. I have yet to taste the other but my hopes aren't too high.

3) A little while ago I was at Target I couldn't find shreddies so in my frustration I yelled, "why does this country not have shreddies?!!" in the middle of the aisle. There were three white American girls standing by me and because they assumed I wasn't with my husband, they froze like I was asking them about my cereal issue. I had to tell them that I wasn't. My husband told me to stop pointing out that I wasn't American.

4) Side Walks and Buses: They just don't exist outside a major city center. We have no sidewalks where I live so I need to hurry up and learn how to drive. It kind of sucks.

Things I like about Alabama:

1) Ross, Khols, Marshalls. Everything is better....Winners is slacking on us. Step up your game, Canada.

2) Super Target and Super Walmart. Just....Super. I love them. Its just beautiful. I spend so long looking around, my husband goes into "shut down mode".

3) The Viet food is top notch, way better than what I had in Toronto. I am not even going to attempt having pho in Toronto, it wouldn't live up to how good it is down here.

4) Great Middle Eastern food :)

5) Everyone is really nice so far.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

WOW from tornto to alabama... that is a culture shcok. Omg!! I dont know how you do that lol

It was definitely different.

It was not as terrible as I imagined though. Everyone is very nice and I don't mind the area at all. The weather is pretty beautiful too.

Alabama is beautiful. My husband is from there and says the same thing about me and not being American. He is like... your Canadian is showing. LOL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.