jft

Bank statements question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife and I have both separate and joint accounts at our credit union but our joint accounts only appear on my PDF statement, not hers, even though she can see the joint accounts from her web login (the credit union has pretty much ditched paper). My plan is to send in both statements with an explanation plus a notarized statement of joint accounts from the credit union. Am I going to get any grief with this?

Also as we were never sent anything on paper we have to print it ourselves (the CU wants $0.40 per page to do it). As a result I'm planning on sending in the statements for the last 3 months and then every 3rd month before that. Is that ok? At 10 pages per statement having to send in everything would kill a whole forest.

Edited by jft

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Its not appearing in her statement probably because she is secondary user and you are primary. I had same problem and I had to change it. As for statements do not take risk of sending quarterly ones. Recently there have been posts that USCIS even check transactions in staements. So send for all months. Financial comingling is very important for them. Do not take the risk.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Omg I didn't realize one has to send us the bank statement for every month! I mean two years worth of statements?! That is a lot of papers! What do you guys think of sending the 1st page of the statement (showing the owners of the account/address/account info) instead? Sorry, didn't mean to answer the OP's question with another question!

Timeline

Its not appearing in her statement probably because she is secondary user and you are primary. I had same problem and I had to change it. As for statements do not take risk of sending quarterly ones. Recently there have been posts that USCIS even check transactions in staements. So send for all months. Financial comingling is very important for them. Do not take the risk.

It appears until recently the CU had no way to do this at all. I've asked them several times over the last couple of years and they have mostly wondered why it mattered and told me it was impossible. I've found someone that thinks they can set it up so we can have three accounts with only one joint and have the names display right but I'll believe it when I see it.

So what happens if they aren't satisfied? The pattern of our spending should prove we are a family even if the accounts aren't organized correctly but I'm concerned that they can somehow put us into some sort of purgatory where we can't produce enough paperwork to make them happy. What happens then?

Omg I didn't realize one has to send us the bank statement for every month! I mean two years worth of statements?! That is a lot of papers! What do you guys think of sending the 1st page of the statement (showing the owners of the account/address/account info) instead? Sorry, didn't mean to answer the OP's question with another question!

I sent every page of every bank statement for the last two years. USCIS are so hot on joint bank accounts being their #1 piece of evidence that I thought 'what the heck' and sent the lot. Overkill maybe, but its better to send more than less :)

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Timeline

Yes lot of papers but less risky.. 1st only will lead to RFE I think.. they want to see if you are regularly using it or not.. both partners need to use it.

Timeline

It appears until recently the CU had no way to do this at all. I've asked them several times over the last couple of years and they have mostly wondered why it mattered and told me it was impossible. I've found someone that thinks they can set it up so we can have three accounts with only one joint and have the names display right but I'll believe it when I see it.

So what happens if they aren't satisfied? The pattern of our spending should prove we are a family even if the accounts aren't organized correctly but I'm concerned that they can somehow put us into some sort of purgatory where we can't produce enough paperwork to make them happy. What happens then?

USCIS will care for only joint account. Both partners need to use it for common expenses such as utlity bill payment, grocery shopping etc.. Rest of the money you can keep in individual accounts.

Timeline

USCIS will care for only joint account. Both partners need to use it for common expenses such as utlity bill payment, grocery shopping etc.. Rest of the money you can keep in individual accounts.

We use the joint account for groceries and household expenses and the Visa card for clothes and other larger expenses. All of the utility payments, the house payment and such come out of my account. At this point I cant change the past so now what? Its obvious since Ive spent lots of money on dental work, cars for both my wife and son, etc. that were not trying to pull a fast one but Im afraid they will just concentrate on the one thing and will leave us in limbo.

Sending in just the first page will likely result in an RFE, which will add about six months to your processing time. Care to guess how I KNOW this?

Our response to the RFE was about a pound of paper.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i just sent in the papers i sigend at the bank showing i added him to the account / it has the date and both names and bank name

i even blocked out the account number

it was accepted

Filed: Timeline

My wife and I have both separate and joint accounts at our credit union but our joint accounts only appear on my PDF statement, not hers, even though she can see the joint accounts from her web login (the credit union has pretty much ditched paper). My plan is to send in both statements with an explanation plus a notarized statement of joint accounts from the credit union. Am I going to get any grief with this?

Also as we were never sent anything on paper we have to print it ourselves (the CU wants $0.40 per page to do it). As a result I'm planning on sending in the statements for the last 3 months and then every 3rd month before that. Is that ok? At 10 pages per statement having to send in everything would kill a whole forest.

actually they kind want statement that are from the beginning of the marriage and the middle and the end. What i sent was a full statement of one month after we got married, full statement one year later, and the latest one. they kinda want the full statement and not just the front page.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.