bobo

rollover $1,200 401(k) to IRA

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Recently I lost my job and I need to rollover the money from my 401(k) into an IRA. The amount is about $1,200. A friend suggested Vanguard but I saw on their website that the min. amount for rollover is $3,000.

I don't want to take the money as a lumpsum now since I will have to pay taxes and penalty, but I don't know where to move this relatively small amount without paying too much in fees.

Can somebody please give me some advice? Thank you!

Feb. 4/05 - Sent I-129F (Vermont)

Feb. 9/05 - NOA1

April 6/05 - NOA2

May 12/05 - Packet 3 (second one, the first was lost in the mail)

May 19/05 - Police certificate (RCMP London, ON)

May 20/05 - Packet 4 with interview set on July 26/2005

May 25/05 - Medical in Toronto (dr. Seiden)

July 26/05 - Interview in Montreal (successful)

Aug. 15/05 - Visa and the brown envelope in hand

Sept. 28/05 - Moved to the U.S.A. (Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) POE, asked for and got temp. EAD stamp on I-94)

Oct. 6/05 - Civil wedding ceremony

Oct. 8/05 - Religious wedding ceremony

Oct. 13/05 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

Oct. 14/05 - Applied for SSN

Oct. 22/05 - Received SSN card in the mail

Oct. 24/05 - NOA for AP received (issued Oct. 21)

Oct. 25/05 - NOA's for AOS/EAD received (issued Oct. 21)

Nov. 4/05 - Appointment letter for AOS fingerprints/bio for Nov. 15/2005

Nov. 15/05 - Fingerprints/bio taken for AOS and EAD

Dec. 19/05 - EAD/AP approved

Dec. 27/05 - Received EAD card/AP

Jan. 28/06 - Appointment letter for AOS interview (set on March 15, 2006)

Mar. 15/06 - AOS interview (successful)

Mar. 18/06 - "Welcome to the United States of America" letter

Mar. 25/06 - Received Green Card (good for 2 years)

Dec. 18/07 - Sent I-751 to VSC

Jan. 03/08 - NOA

Feb. 7/08 - Biometrics

Oct. 28/08 - I-751 approved (on-line status)

Nov. 3/08 - Received in the mail the new 10 year GC

Feb. 1/10 - Sent N-400

Feb. 8/10 - NOA

Mar. 24/10 - Fingerprints

May 11/10 - Interview

June 18/10 - US Citizenship Oath

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Recently I lost my job and I need to rollover the money from my 401(k) into an IRA. The amount is about $1,200. A friend suggested Vanguard but I saw on their website that the min. amount for rollover is $3,000.

I don't want to take the money as a lumpsum now since I will have to pay taxes and penalty, but I don't know where to move this relatively small amount without paying too much in fees.

Can somebody please give me some advice? Thank you!

call whoever was managing the 401k. for example, if it was fidelity - call them and ask what options they have. tell them you are thinking of going to another brokerage - they usually have incentives or a need to keep investments inhouse. don't like people rolling into an IRA outside of their institution. give it a shot - nothing to loose.

Timeline

3/09/07 - Mailed out I-751 to TSC - expiration date is 03/13/07 - Cutting it close!

3/12/07 - USPS confirms delivery

3/13/07 - Check clears bank

3/21/07 - Reciept for BioMetrics Fee

Some investment companies can actually do the rollover for you (paperwork, etc) over the phone without a minimum. But I'm not sure how Fidelity does it, so yeah give them a call. It's ideal to keep your investments in one company to save costs (breakpoints). You will have to roll it over to a Traditional IRA first and decide later on if you want Roth Conversion.

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Check with your investment firm, Normally if you quit your job you don't really have take the money out, you can leave it where it is, later on when you start working and the new company has a 401k plan you can do a rollover.

In a rollover they send you check, YOU DON"T CASH IT, you just foward it directly to your new 401K so it's like you never see the money.

Another option: You can call your investment firm example something like Fidelity and let them know you want to convert your regular 401K balance into an IRA, they would gladly help to keep your business.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Have you checked with your local banks, sometimes they can give as good a deal as the investment places.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

Nikita2Charles,

Not necessarily. If it's a small amount the company can force you to take the money out. I don't know what the cutoff is, but $1,200 is for sure below it. His company can close out the account and send him the money whether he wants them to or not.

Yodrak

..... Normally if you quit your job you don't really have take the money out, you can leave it where it is, ....

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
A friend suggested Vanguard but I saw on their website that the min. amount for rollover is $3,000.

I have all of my rollovers from past employers at Vanguard and I highly recommend them. However that does you no good because of their $3000 minimum to start a new account.

Not all mutual fund companies have such high minimums and I'm sure an afternoon on the internet investigating other fund companies will turn up something. I have a small position in the Nicholas Fund and the minimum to start an account is $500. It pretty much tracks the Large-Cap stock market and is a good general purpose fund.

http://www.nicholasfunds.com/NF/overview.html

Of course, you can always buy an IRA CD from your local bank to roll your distribution into.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

The Vanguard Star fund has a $1000 minimum (I think it's the only one; others are $3000-$25000). So that's an option. It's a balanced fund, 60% stocks, 40% bonds. There is a $10 annual fee for less than $5000 balance in any fund in an IRA, charged in June. (I own that fund, and started with it because of the low minimum.)

I've also heard people recommend T Rowe Price and TIAA-CREF for low-minimum IRAs, but don't have any personal experience.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

When you do a rollover, make sure that the brokerage that operated your 401k does not make the check out to you... If they make the check out to you, they have to withold 10% for the penalty fee.. even if you do roll it over...choose where you want the money to go and have them cut you a check that is made out to your new brokerage with your new Rollover IRA account number on it... a lot of the time a brokerage will let you establish a Rollover IRA and give you an account number before you get your old brokerage to cut you a check. This way you can just have your old brokerage wire the money directly to your new brokerage and avoid the 10% penalty...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
When you do a rollover, make sure that the brokerage that operated your 401k does not make the check out to you... If they make the check out to you, they have to withold 10% for the penalty fee.. even if you do roll it over...choose where you want the money to go and have them cut you a check that is made out to your new brokerage with your new Rollover IRA account number on it... a lot of the time a brokerage will let you establish a Rollover IRA and give you an account number before you get your old brokerage to cut you a check. This way you can just have your old brokerage wire the money directly to your new brokerage and avoid the 10% penalty...

This is critical and actually is called a Direct Rollover. Be sure to tell your 401k administrator you want to complete a Direct Rollover. You will probably need to set up/complete initial paperwork at whichever financial institution you go to.

And actually if you do not do a Direct Rollover but do a "regular" Rollover instead, your 401k plan will be required to withhold 20% for federal income tax - this is NOT optional. Then to not have to claim this as income on your tax return, you would also need to come up with this dollar amount and roll that into your IRA. And if you are under age 59 1/2 you would also have to pay a 10% IRS penalty tax. I know it sounds crazy, but this is how it works with 401k's and IRAs.

I am sure most people here meant the Direct Rollover process, but probably just did not know the terminology. Your 401k administrator should know this though. And actually they are required to tell you all your options. However I know that in many companies, unfortunately the admin does not always have a clue.

If you have any other questions, please ask them. I work for a bank and in my previous position for about 9 years I was considered the IRA guru and did all the training for our insititution.

Good luck!!

Lori

02/21/2006 - AJM proposes (on LAK's birthday!) & LAK accepts

05/19/2005 - Sent I-129F

06/09/2006 - Received NOA1 in snail mail

06/30/2006 - Received & Sent IMBRA RFE

07/03/2006 - RFE Received at CSC

07/07/2006 - Email stating IMBRA RFE received

08/16/2006 - APPROVED!!! NOA2!!

08/17/2006 - 5 Emails stating approval!! YEAH!!!

08/22/2006 - Received NOA2 in snail mail

08/28/2006 - NVC Received

08/31/2006 - NVC Forwarded to Mumbai

09/05/2006 - Received NVC Letter in Snail Mail

09/04/2006 - File recieved in Mumbai

11/27/2006 - E-mail from consulate - Interview is scheduled for 12/18/2006

12/18/2006 - INTERVIEW

12/18/2006 - APPROVED!!! - Just need one final PCC

01/04/2007 - VISA ISSUED!

03/16/2007 - Arrived in Chicago!!!

03/29/2007 - Wedding Date

AOS

04/20/2007 - AOS Paperwork Sent

04/30/2007 - AOS Checks Posting to Account

05/25/2007 - Biometrics Apointment

07/13/2007 - E-mail stating EAD is in production

07/26/2007 - EAD card received in the mail!!

08/29/2007 - E-mail stating Permanent Resident Card production ordered!

Removing Conditions

05/22/2009 - Sent I-751 to California!

05/29/2009 - Check Cashed at Bank!

06/02/2009 - NOA Received in Snail Mail!

06/22/2009 - Received Biometrics Notification

07/09/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

08/14/2009 - E-Mail Notification of Approval - got the e-mail and letter the same day!

08/11/2009 - LETTER OF APPROVAL!!! 10 YEAR GREEN CARD!!!

08/21/2009 - RECEIVED 10 YEAR GREEN CARD!!!!! YEAH!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.