simonschus

Global Entry and K-1 visa process

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have Global Entry and enter the US on my ESTA. Using the Global Entry kiosks, I enter on WT for leisure purposes mostly as I'm usually visiting my partner.

I'm going through the K-1 visa process, having received my NOA1 in the post mid-December. Does anybody expect that the Global Entry will be rescinded once I get further through the K-1 process? For example, will it be rescinded or will I be flagged up for interview after either:

a) I have received my NOA2 (crossed-fingers!);

b) after I have scheduled but not yet attended my embassy interview;

c) any other time prior to the K-1 being approved?

I ask because to know if anybody thinks that the K-1 visa process is going to cause any problems with entering using Global Entry. I am aware that interviews can always occur with Global Entry which I fully understand and accept. I just haven't had any so far after entering a few times on it, including after having received my NOA1.

Simon.

P.S. This question was intentionally about using Global Entry whilst going through the K-1 application process. I'm aware that you cannot use Global Entry when entering the US on an approved K-1 visa (per https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions). Presumably that restriction is no longer a problem after adjustment of status though, but I imagine one would still be flagged up for interview when entering using using the Green Card at the GE kiosk. In addition, it is unclear whether a) the Global Entry membership is automatically rescinded when entering on the K-1 Visa meaning that I have to reapply for GE after adjustment of status, or b) the Global Entry membership is unaffected when entering on the K-1 Visa but that I just have to go to a Global Entry enrolment centre to inform them of my Green Card prior after adjustment of status. I guess I'll find out when everything is approved. It'd be a pity to lose the $100 after only have GE for a few months though when it is supposed to last for five years.

Edited by simonschus

No, it probably won't get rescinded, but you'll have to go to a global entry office to get your documents updated to continue using it once you've gone through K1 & AOS (any document change causes this - new passport, new greencard, whatever). Now that GA is available for some non-USCs/LPRs they'll be getting a lot of temporary visitors passing through using GE - your K1 process won't matter.

If you change the document you're traveling on without updating your GE, that'll trigger a failure to pass through their system, but you just go back through the regular queue if that happens (I know, because my last entry to the USA with GE I hadn't updated the system with my new greencard document and had to go to the slow queue when the kiosk told me so - no big deal, popped by the GE office while I was still there and they updated my details in less than a minute without waiting). You don't get "interviews" with GE. Sometimes the system will randomly tell you you have to go to a normal officer's desk (as you would without GE) but it's no bigger deal than that, and then you're just as likely to be called to secondary as any other traveller. GE is just a short-cut for the queues, not much else.

Worst case, they'll have you reapply once you've got your adjustment of status done, but I doubt it. It's not going to cause more issue than that.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Contact CBP.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate that the answers might be conflicting so I've spoken to relevant people. I've been told that I should not use Global Entry when entering on K-1 (which I already knew). Once the adjustment of status is dealt with and I am an LPR, I should go to a GE Enrolment Centre at a US airport to update my entry documents from my non-US passport to my Green card. It is unlikely that my GE will be cancelled from the issue on a K-1 visa and the adjustment of status. Although I will be able to use the GE kiosk from that point, it seems that the computer system might still flag me up for some brief questioning at the desk whilst the Green card has its conditions (i.e. within the first 2 years). Hopefully that is accurate but we shall see as time goes on.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate that the answers might be conflicting so I've spoken to relevant people. I've been told that I should not use Global Entry when entering on K-1 (which I already knew). Once the adjustment of status is dealt with and I am an LPR, I should go to a GE Enrolment Centre at a US airport to update my entry documents from my non-US passport to my Green card. It is unlikely that my GE will be cancelled from the issue on a K-1 visa and the adjustment of status. Although I will be able to use the GE kiosk from that point, it seems that the computer system might still flag me up for some brief questioning at the desk whilst the Green card has its conditions (i.e. within the first 2 years). Hopefully that is accurate but we shall see as time goes on.

Simon.

Sounds OK to me! I had Global Entry with a 2 year conditional green card and it was never a problem. You'll just need to remember to update your GE again when you get your 10 year card.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.