1,055 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi guys,

As you can see in my timeline below I've been going through a very frustrating and lenghty process.
The reason my VAWA was stuck in Vermont for such a long time was because I concurrentely applied for a U-visa as well, which I got recently. Apparantly they don't start to deal with the I-360 until there is some sort of answer on the U-visa.

The USCIS website says my case (VAWA) got to the local office (NYC) on September 12th, but nothing happened after that. Apparantly it was still stuck in NBC,
NYC replied to my lawyer saying my case got to NYC on December 10th 2015. They also said they were going to speed up my case since I've been waiting for almost three years. Anyway, now we're January 10th, and I still didn't receive an interview notice.
My lawyer keeps on sending them weekly emails to get things moving but nothing's happening. The USCIS website still says my case got to the local office on September 12th (which was incorrect).

My question is: does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an interview notice/date after the case gets to the local office? I heard NYC is quite backlogged...

Thanks in advance :),

- Paperwork for Green Card received by USCIS: May 3, 2013
- Interview date: 24 March 2016: approved! (after 3 long years!)

- N-400 sent out: December 26, 2018
- NOA1/priority date: December 31st, 2018
- Biometrics: January 30th, 2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Linh Luong you have a few options:

1-Write him a certified letter saying if he does not provide you the original copy of the RFE you will register a complaint with the Bar Association for violation of the rules of professional conduct. It's up to you to continue with your attorney representation or not.

2- Fire him through certified mail stating he abandoned your case because he did not return your phone calls and emails for an extended period of time and that you will register a complaint with the association and you might file a lawsuit for malpractice. Ask him to provide a copy of your file in 24 hours.

3- If you fire your attorney then send it a letter to USCIS saying you are representing yourself and all mails must be forward to your address, and submit to USCIS a copy of the letter that you fired your attorney, plus a copy of the USPS receipt.

4- File an e request https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayNDNForm.do;jsessionid=abcVk1SLN0EQTeAoTriiv?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=ndn

5- Fire your attorney and go to infopass to request USCIS a copy of the RFE.

I believe the option 01 is more effective.But clearly you have problems with your attorney then you have to decide if you want to continue with his representation or not.

Thank you Sandra for your reply

i tried to contact my lawyer several times after i posted my question but he didn't reply.

So I went to an info pass and the officer sent a request of a copy of RFE for me. I should receive it soon.

I understand that i can't count on this lawyer anymore. I was mad at first but now i think it's good to happen now, because what if he doesn't show up at my interview.

I think i will hire new lawyer soon but i have to save up some money for new lawyer. It's pricey to hire a lawyer here in USA.

So since the USCIS officer already sent out a request for copy of RFE, i don't have to call the 1800 number.

And also i don't have a new lawyer yet, do you think that lawyer still receive notices about my case?

Thank you Sandra.

Linh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

My question is: does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an interview notice/date after the case gets to the local office? I heard NYC is quite backlogged...

In my case it was 20 days. Transferred to local office on August 26, 2015. I received the interview letter on September 15, 2015. The notice date was September 10.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

In my case it was 20 days. Transferred to local office on August 26, 2015. I received the interview letter on September 15, 2015. The notice date was September 10.

Thank you Dodgertown!

When was the interview date? About a month later?

Did you see the case status change online when they sent it out?

Edited by PNYC89

- Paperwork for Green Card received by USCIS: May 3, 2013
- Interview date: 24 March 2016: approved! (after 3 long years!)

- N-400 sent out: December 26, 2018
- NOA1/priority date: December 31st, 2018
- Biometrics: January 30th, 2019

Filed: Timeline

Hey everybody,l need some advice about how to go about my divorce process..l already finished my Vawa process and received my GC last october..now l want to start the divorce process but was just wondering since Vawa was confidential,can l use abuse ad a reason? Is there any way l can do it without him knowing about it..havent seen him for almost 5yrs.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Missymd, you need to check divorce procedure in your state as it is different in every state. I am in divorce process now, I am doing all papers myself because I couldnt afford a divorce lawyer. But I did a lot of divorce research in my state. Or consult divorce attorney. I know in Pennsylvania you can file for no fault divorce, means that you don't mention abuse in divorce. That is much cheaper and easier. If divorce is based on abuse, it is fault divorce, for that you need a lawyer and it costs much more. My VAWA lawyer told me that if you file no fault divorce (not telling about abuse in divorce) that it will have no effect on VAWA or green card. Check your state's divorce requirements, go to your county or you city court website, they usually have all information there, or consult attorney. Some offer free consultation. I hope this helps.

Filed: Timeline

Skazzka,thanks alot..l was actually worried about saying something that will affect my gc in future and l really dont want to drag it and spend more money if l use abuse.l know that will be a problem.l will research about the 'no fault' dirvorce.that sounds like a better way without causing unnecessary drama..I,m in MD.l will probably do it myself bcos l cant afford it either.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I was worried as well but then I checked with my lawyer who did my VAWA case, and he said no fault should be fine. And when I did research, I found out that no fault divorce is used more often nowdays no matter of real cause for divorce such as abuse or cheating. With no fault you don't need to go to court to see judge if you agree on divorce and agree on property, debt etc. if you have any. And it is faster and cheaper. If you file fault divorce, you both need to go to court to see judge. It costs much more.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.