molibya

RFE Notice Question (Passport Style Photo)

14 posts in this topic

I just received my RFE notice in the mail and it said that I need to provide a passport style photo of me and my fiance. However, I did indeed attach a passport style photo to each corresponding g-325a form. Is this a misunderstanding on there part? Should I call them to request clarification?

Is it at all possible that it was sized or aligned wrong or not on white background? If you got them done professionally it's unlikely, but if you tried to recreate it on your own it's possible they just weren't up to criteria.

Also, when you say you attached them to the g-325a form, what do you mean by this? According to the guides, you are suppose to:

"Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a."

If you physically attached it TO the g-325a maybe they either missed them or, depending on how you fastened it, they were damaged when they tried to remove them.

This is all just speculation by the way, your best bet is just to send new copies in as soon as you can. Calling USCIS to get more info may help you figure out what happened, but you are most likely going to need to send new photos in anyways.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What exactly does the RFE say?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

See the passport photo requirements here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

A few of the requirements for a passport photo differ from the I-129F / I-130 instructions.

• White background (passports allow off-white)
  • Glossy finish (passports allow matte finish)
  • Photo taken within 30 days (passports allow 6 months)

Make sure the overall dimensions of the paper and the facial dimensions are within the guidelines.

2015-10-13 Married in Phú Yên, Việt Nam

I-130

2016-01-04 NOA1

2016-05-16 NOA2 133 days from NOA1

NVC

2016-08-11 Case complete

Consulate

2016-10-31 Interview 81 days from case complete, 301 days from NOA1

2016-11-05 Visa received

POE

2016-11-17 Seattle-Tacoma

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Is it at all possible that it was sized or aligned wrong or not on white background? If you got them done professionally it's unlikely, but if you tried to recreate it on your own it's possible they just weren't up to criteria.

Also, when you say you attached them to the g-325a form, what do you mean by this? According to the guides, you are suppose to:

"Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a."

If you physically attached it TO the g-325a maybe they either missed them or, depending on how you fastened it, they were damaged when they tried to remove them.

This is all just speculation by the way, your best bet is just to send new copies in as soon as you can. Calling USCIS to get more info may help you figure out what happened, but you are most likely going to need to send new photos in anyways.

OMG. I didn't want to write on the pictures so i just put them in a bag and put the name of the person on top. Not "Photo of". Do you think that will cause an RFE?

STARTED: Same sex couple. USC living in San Diego, CA. French citizen living in Vancouver, Canada.

12/11/2015 - Mailed I-129F Packet (Friday)

Spoiler

12/14/2015 - USPS Tracking confirmed receipt (Monday)

12/17/2015 - Received USCIS Email/Text (NOA1) (Thursday)

12/21/2015 - Received USCIS OFFICIAL LETTER (NOA1)

02/03/2016 - Received RFE Text

02/09/2016 - USCIS received RFE answer from me

02/12/2016 - Received NOA2 Text!

03/09/2016 - NVC received case!

03/11/2016 - NVC Sent it to Embassy

03/17/2016 - Consulate Received Case! (Shows "Ready" in ceac)

03/22/2016 - Sent in Packet 3 and scheduled interview before being sent Packet 4

03/23/2016 - Got sent Packet 4

04/05/2016 - Medical Interview in Vancouver

04/12/2016 - INTERVIEW DATE AT CONSULATE in Vancouver

04/12/2016 - APPROVED!!!!!!!!! Visa in 5-7 Days!!

04/15/2016 - VISA IN HAND

-----------------------------------------------------

POE 05/10/2016

Marriage 05/13/2016

-----------------------------------------------------

08/26/2016 - Received Tracking saying AOS package received.

09/01/2016 - Received Texts with MSC Receipt #s (cannot look them up at USCIS)

10/25/2016 - AED says "New Card is Being Produced". AP says "Case was Approved". AOS says "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview".

10/31/2016 - Received hard copy of AP in mail.

11/05/2016 - Received Employment Authorization in mail.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I did exactly that, I placed each corresponding photo in a plastic bag and wrote the names on the back of each. I then attached the plastic bag via a paper clip to each corresponding G-325a form. I guess I'll just do it again. I'm thinking they may have misplaced the photos.

• 2 months later...

OK guys I am opening this post again. The RFE that they sent me on December 9 said that I need to provide a passport style photo of me and my fiance. No details were given on what exactly was wrong with the original copies. Therefore, I sent the RFE with the two photos attached.

On February 23, I received an email stating my petition was DENIED :cry:. I received a letter today stating that the reason for denial is that my passport photos were too large (Instead of 2x2 they were 2.5x3). A little trivial if you ask me to deny a whole petition because the passport photos were an inch larger. I wish they told me the exact reason for the RFE instead of being so vague. Anyway, it is what it is.

So my questions to this helpful community

1. Should I file an appeal along with the correctly sized passport photos and cough up the $630 or should I start a new petition?

2. What are the benefits of filing an appeal vs. starting a new application? Is it faster?

3. What is the probability that the USCIS will come up with something else to RFE if I go the appeal route? Or is this issue the only issue with my petition.

Edited by molibya

Ok what I have gathered from reading people's previous experiences on this forum and elsewhere is to just reapply again. It is cheaper and less time consuming.

But what about this waiver form that I need to include in the petition now? Because I applied for a K1 already and it was denied and I am not allowed to apply for another? May I get some clarification please from an experienced member?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wow I can't believe you got denied because of the pictures! That's insane!

ROC

04/27/19 - Application sent (I-751)

04/29/19 - Application arrived at USCIS (TX P.O. Box)

05/06/19 - Received NOA1 and extension letter in the mail (dated as received on 04/30 and emitted on 05/03)

07/12/19 - Changed Address with USCIS (IN to CA)

10/16/19 - Biometrics Appointment

03/09/20 - Case Transferred to NBC

03/25/20 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

03/15/21 - Infopass Appointmet to get I-551 stamp

07/16/21 - Combo interview (N400 + I751) 

NATURALIZATION

09/29/20 - Filed application online (N-400)

10/05/20 - Received physical copy of NOA1

07/16/21 - Combo interview (N-400 + I-751)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok what I have gathered from reading people's previous experiences on this forum and elsewhere is to just reapply again. It is cheaper and less time consuming.

But what about this waiver form that I need to include in the petition now? Because I applied for a K1 already and it was denied and I am not allowed to apply for another? May I get some clarification please from an experienced member?

Yes, you need to file again. And there is no waiver needed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I just received my RFE notice in the mail and it said that I need to provide a passport style photo of me and my fiance. However, I did indeed attach a passport style photo to each corresponding g-325a form. Is this a misunderstanding on there part?

They may have lost them; it does happen. Just send two new photos.

Should I call them to request clarification?

You can't. Just send the photos.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

His petition was denied, he can no longer just send the pictures in.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

OK guys I am opening this post again. The RFE that they sent me on December 9 said that I need to provide a passport style photo of me and my fiance. No details were given on what exactly was wrong with the original copies. Therefore, I sent the RFE with the two photos attached.

Great, sometimes they lose things.

On February 23, I received an email stating my petition was DENIED . I received a letter today stating that the reason for denial is that my passport photos were too large (Instead of 2x2 they were 2.5x3). A little trivial if you ask me to deny a whole petition because the passport photos were an inch larger.

Nothing trivial at all. They weren't passport photos because they didn't meet the size requirements. One can get these anywhere, so very easy to obtain.

I wish they told me the exact reason for the RFE instead of being so vague. Anyway, it is what it is.

Yes

So my questions to this helpful community

1. Should I file an appeal along with the correctly sized passport photos and cough up the $630 or should I start a new petition? New, appeal will be useless since you didn't supply them with what they asked for.

2. What are the benefits of filing an appeal vs. starting a new application? Is it faster? Faster will be new petition... And where do you get $630 from? I thought the 129f filing fee is $340. Do better homework.

3. What is the probability that the USCIS will come up with something else to RFE if I go the appeal route? Or is this issue the only issue with my petition. Always a possiblility especially if you don't following the instructions.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.