51 posts in this topic

The proper term here is joint sponsor.

How many people are in her cousin's household?

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

She needs to provide proof of assets. They need to be 5x the poverty guidelines for the household size. So for 3 people (her 2, plus the beneficiary) it would need to be $125,560 as long as she does not live in Hawaii or Alaska.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

A main house and a main car cannot be used. Any secondary homes or cars may be used as long as they are professionally appraised and the mortgage/lien deducted from the appraisal price. Assets may only be used if they can be liquidated within a year.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

She needs to provide proof of assets. They need to be 5x the poverty guidelines for the household size. So for 3 people (her 2, plus the beneficiary) it would need to be $125,560 as long as she does not live in Hawaii or Alaska.

A main house and a main car cannot be used. Any secondary homes or cars may be used as long as they are professionally appraised and the mortgage/lien deducted from the appraisal price. Assets may only be used if they can be liquidated within a year.

thank you very much for your timely reply,but what do you mean main house cant be use?she is not in lease,she ve her own house and must we have $125650?what if she ve this money on savings?can it be accepted?

thank you very much for your timely reply,but what do you mean main house cant be use?she is not in lease,she ve her own house and must we have $125650?what if she ve this money on savings?can it be accepted?

I mean she cannot use a house she is living in as an asset if it is her only home. It doesn't matter that she owns it. It puts undue hardship on the sponsor if they have to sell it so you cannot use an only home as an asset. Savings are always acceptable. Money in the bank is better than any other asset.

She have w2 and copy of her husband 401k they received from it for retirement in 2004

She have w2 from 2004 and back before retirement. Now she considered a home maker.

W2s don't matter anymore, she does not work.

I mean she cannot use a house she is living in as an asset if it is her only home. It doesn't matter that she owns it. It puts undue hardship on the sponsor if they have to sell it so you cannot use an only home as an asset. Savings are always acceptable. Money in the bank is better than any other asset.

i dont know how to thank yoj for your time,you ve educated me in alot of things but can she use a bank account with that savings as $125650? If she have that in her savings

i dont know how to thank yoj for your time,you ve educated me in alot of things but can she use a bank account with that savings as $125650? If she have that in her savings

W2s don't matter anymore, she does not work.she told me that her worth is about 140 thousand which she own it all ..she own every thing she have... My income is 30 thousand a year... can this be accepted?thank as i wait for your reply

.she told me that her worth is about 140 thousand which she own it all ..she own every thing she have... My income is 30 thousand a year... can this be accepted?thank as i wait for your reply

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

how many are in your household? if it is just the 2 of you, you don't need a joint sponsor

but to answer the other question, if it her only home, it doesn't matter how much she owns, unless it is a second property, immigration cannot take your home or your car, immigration cannot leave you on the streets

that's why it is a second car or second property, the property that the sponsor or joint sponsor lives in doesn't count, as well as the car that is used, the instructions say so

read the instructions of the i864 where the section of assets is

If you are the immigrant then no, unless your income will be continuing, you cannot use it.

If you are the petitioner, and your income will be continuing after the beneficiary immigrates, then yes you can use it and it's more than enough.

Edited by NLR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

hi

how many are in your household? if it is just the 2 of you, you don't need a joint sponsor

but to answer the other question, if it her only home, it doesn't matter how much she owns, unless it is a second property, immigration cannot take your home or your car, immigration cannot leave you on the streets

that's why it is a second car or second property, the property that the sponsor or joint sponsor lives in doesn't count, as well as the car that is used, the instructions say so

read the instructions of the i864 where the section of assets is

Where in the instructions does it state you cannot use your home unless you own more than one? That you can only use a second vehicle, yes, but not that you may only use a second property.

From the instructions, Page 8 and 9 >

Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and at least one automobile is not included as an asset.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

If you are the immigrant then no, unless your income will be continuing, you cannot use it.

If you are the petitioner, and your income will be continuing after the beneficiary immigrates, then yes you can use it and it's more than enough.

i so muuch appreciate your assistances,you ve given me free information that lawyers are takibg pay for.my wife which is the petitioner is a full time student and her cousin is our joint sponsor.could it be accepted since she said her yearly income is 30000 but i know she is retired but ve other income she dont want to disclose

Where in the instructions does it state you cannot use your home unless you own more than one? That you can only use a second vehicle, yes, but not that you may only use a second property.

From the instructions, Page 8 and 9 >

Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owners claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and at least one automobile is not included as an asset.

thank you very much for your time,i strongly believe that we will be able to use her house as she is the only option left for me.once again i appreciate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

thank you very much for your time,i strongly believe that we will be able to use her house as she is the only option left for me.once again i appreciate.

The current income is the most important thing. If she makes $30,000 a year in income, then that is enough for a household of 3. She needs to provide proof of that income, and then she can add in her assets on top of the income, if she wishes. I wouldn't rely on just a home value alone. They will look at the overall totality of the situation to decide if you will become a public charge or not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.