Socialwork4god

Nigerain visa

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I went for the first time, I went to a travel clinic prior to my departure. I got the required yellow fever and a script for anti malaria pills,, immodium, and cipro (an antibiotic in case of food poisoning). they also gave me a lot of boosters and a tetanus shot. When I arrived, i was not prepared to deal with the slick officers inside the airport. They tried hustling me for money at every corner, but of course I didnt know that so I was irritating them more by being confused. Like they would say "where is your white paper"....what white paper? "your white paper, your white paper"....geez. when they realized i wasnt going to just hand over money because I didn't know that's what they wanted,...the one guy just said "get the F*** out of here!! wow, welcome to Nigeria!! Have your fiance meet you right outside the airport. Dont let anyone "assist" you with your bags..Just tell them "dont worry". There is no need to bring water. ...that is a total waste of space and weight in your bag..there is bottled water sold everywhere you look. I'm not going to lie, my first couple visits there, whenever i was in a car, whether it was taxi or private car, if a police officer saw me in the vehicle, he pulled us over. He'd start swatting the vehicle with his baton til we stopped and let him in the car. Everyone was harassed until we gave up money and then we were allowed to go. This honestly happened every single day i was there. Apart from that, Victoria Island is really pretty and they have a silverbird cinema where you can go to watch movies pretty reasonably priced. There is also the beaches, where you could just sit and enjoy music without it costing a lot of money. Transportation is cheap,, but let your fiance do the negotiating because they will try to give you the Oyinbo price. Like another poster said, 100's and even 50's get exchanged at a better rate than the lower bills and do some scouting around to find the best exchange, they do not all pay the same. Stay safe, have fun, best wishes!!

Thank you for your help!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Take a couple of ones to rent a luggage cart , it will help you gather your bags and get through customs. Beware of anyone offering to carry your bags, they will likely develop wings and fly right into the crowd and out of sight. Remember cottons, cottons and more cottons. Being white do not forget your sun screen. Bring one of those cooling clothes like the sell at home depot. If you end up somewhere without electric he moisture can cool you a bit. Make sure you have the right kind of Malaria meds , the ones for South America aren't the same. Register your visit with the embassy before your go. Make a copy of your passport and visa , email it to yourself. In case of disaster you can at least get to the copy. I actually packed a couple of packages of oatmeal and a boilable dinner, that way if you get totally sick you have something to get you through a couple of days. You are most apt to pick up something from the water, if you are the type that gets bugs easily be very careful with water, ice and any fruit or vegetable that holds water ( lettuce can be a big germ carrier) opt for things you peel ( oranges, potatoes )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Three posts violating the below quoted provision of the TOS removed along with a member's access to this thread. One post quoting removed content also removed.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Post Content intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a broad demographic or group of people identified by a unifying trait or characteristic (discrimination). For instance, racist or sexist content may be considered hate speech.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I went for the first time, I went to a travel clinic prior to my departure. I got the required yellow fever and a script for anti malaria pills,, immodium, and cipro (an antibiotic in case of food poisoning). they also gave me a lot of boosters and a tetanus shot. When I arrived, i was not prepared to deal with the slick officers inside the airport. They tried hustling me for money at every corner, but of course I didnt know that so I was irritating them more by being confused. Like they would say "where is your white paper"....what white paper? "your white paper, your white paper"....geez. when they realized i wasnt going to just hand over money because I didn't know that's what they wanted,...the one guy just said "get the F*** out of here!! wow, welcome to Nigeria!! Have your fiance meet you right outside the airport. Dont let anyone "assist" you with your bags..Just tell them "dont worry". There is no need to bring water. ...that is a total waste of space and weight in your bag..there is bottled water sold everywhere you look. I'm not going to lie, my first couple visits there, whenever i was in a car, whether it was taxi or private car, if a police officer saw me in the vehicle, he pulled us over. He'd start swatting the vehicle with his baton til we stopped and let him in the car. Everyone was harassed until we gave up money and then we were allowed to go. This honestly happened every single day i was there. Apart from that, Victoria Island is really pretty and they have a silverbird cinema where you can go to watch movies pretty reasonably priced. There is also the beaches, where you could just sit and enjoy music without it costing a lot of money. Transportation is cheap,, but let your fiance do the negotiating because they will try to give you the Oyinbo price. Like another poster said, 100's and even 50's get exchanged at a better rate than the lower bills and do some scouting around to find the best exchange, they do not all pay the same. Stay safe, have fun, best wishes!!

Wow!! I'm glad that never happened to me. I've never been pulled over there, thankfully!

OP- I used my bank card over there. I alerted my bank that I was going. I've just always been weary about carrying cash like that while traveling so I thought it was safer to just pull what money I needed from the atm.

I also took over the counter meds for upset stomach and also motion sickness which came in handy on the way there because I got a bit queasy after I ate on the plane!

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wow...what an experience. I havent traveled to NIgeria but to Ghana and its seems very similiar. Have fun and safe travels. And ignore the haters.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Great advice is already shared in the posts. If you plan to stay a long time, it would be a good idea to immunize fully. Also when you arrive there, go to the U.S. Embassy and let them know where you will be staying. Make sure your fiancé meets you at the front of the exit door for people will overwhelm you with their presence. Do not pay anyone anything once you are at baggage claim. You will be asked for money but stay strong and say NO. Yes, take hundred dollar bills but ask your fiancé what year? For the black market prefers newer bills and lady time I went it was 2008 and newer. Eating stuff on the street is not something I advice for the hygiene is not in best conditions. I preferred eating at in laws and restuarants. I also went to the shop rite for veggies, fruits and so on. Don't take water with you for there is plenty there. Tooth brush is a must. Toilet paper too. Their paper there is like sand paper! Lol if you can find a battery operated little fan buy it! Take extra batteries too. When the electricity goes out, this will be very handy. Pack light clothes and be ready for a torally new experience! Good luck!

Timeline

Great advice is already shared in the posts. If you plan to stay a long time, it would be a good idea to immunize fully. Also when you arrive there, go to the U.S. Embassy and let them know where you will be staying. Make sure your fiancé meets you at the front of the exit door for people will overwhelm you with their presence. Do not pay anyone anything once you are at baggage claim. You will be asked for money but stay strong and say NO. Yes, take hundred dollar bills but ask your fiancé what year? For the black market prefers newer bills and lady time I went it was 2008 and newer. Eating stuff on the street is not something I advice for the hygiene is not in best conditions. I preferred eating at in laws and restuarants. I also went to the shop rite for veggies, fruits and so on. Don't take water with you for there is plenty there. Tooth brush is a must. Toilet paper too. Their paper there is like sand paper! Lol if you can find a battery operated little fan buy it! Take extra batteries too. When the electricity goes out, this will be very handy. Pack light clothes and be ready for a torally new experience! Good luck!

Thank you so much!!! All of this advice is definitely putting my mind at ease!

Timeline

You are welcome! Go with open mind and ready for a new experience! Be alert and cautious but open to the love and hospitality your new family will display.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

you have to get suya though. just tell the guy to keep it on the fire a little longer to burn off the germs lol

Oh yes!!! Suya is my favorite! So good!

OP, I'm going today to buy a fan from Home Depot- not sure if you have those in NY but the 5in battery powered fans are like $6 and have really good reviews on amazon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/O2Cool-5-in-Battery-Operated-Portable-Fan-FD05004/203121391

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Timeline

Oh yes!!! Suya is my favorite! So good!

OP, I'm going today to buy a fan from Home Depot- not sure if you have those in NY but the 5in battery powered fans are like $6 and have really good reviews on amazon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/O2Cool-5-in-Battery-Operated-Portable-Fan-FD05004/203121391

thanks hun! I almost forgot about the fan!!! lol....I'm going to need that! Also, did you buy the adapter for like your phone charger so you can charge it while you are there? I looked into buying one but, I was nervous to commit because they look weird and I don't want to buy the wrong thing haha.

Timeline

LOL...yes, the toilet paper!! Good one! And you're right about the newer bills too!!

you have to get suya though. just tell the guy to keep it on the fire a little longer to burn off the germs lol

Best street food by far.......PUF PUF!! omg its sooooo good. get it hot in the morning...yummy!!

Edited by ikeNme

Timeline

The Lagos airport is very small. Make sure that your fiance meets you outside because while everyone speaks english, they speak so low and it is very overwhelming. Take $100 bills with you as they get a better exchange rate than lower bills. I learned this when I did not get the posted rate because I has $20 bills, but the rate I got was still better than I had expected. Exchange just a little money at the airport, say 200-300 dollars and the rest when you get to the place that you are going. Insist that the clerk gives you some small bills and not all 1000 Naira notes. THis happened to me and of course no one ever has change. Take Lyson (a big can), deep woods deet, maybe a few misquito repellant bracelets, some gifts (don't over do it at all), some tylenol, pepto bismal, neosporan, bandaids, an outlet adapter for your electronics, a sim enabled cell phone, long sleeved shirts (for the misquitos), old tennis shoes (lots of red clay dirt that turns to nasty mud because of the rain), do NOT forget to pack a toothbrush. The tooth brushes sold over there are hard enough to take the enamel off the teeth Soap, wet wipe for using the restroom when you are in town, clorox whips to whip stuff down. That is about all that I can think of.

You dont need to pack water because just about every where sells water for maybe 50 cent to 1 dollar so that isn't an issue. Just make sure that you drink bottled water and not the water in the bags. Everything is relatively cheap in nigeria. A ticket to the movie is about $2.50 or 500 Naira.

What kind of gifts should I bring and is it required? Can I get away with saying I don't have anything for them and their family?? Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.