Socialwork4god

Nigerain visa

57 posts in this topic

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What kind of gifts should I bring and is it required? Can I get away with saying I don't have anything for them and their family?? Thanks!

As is over here, if you go to someone's house for the first time, you usually bring wine or something. There , you should at least bring the mother a gift. It is kinda rude both here and especially there to arrive empty handed. I would same maybe a $10 gift for the mother. Go to TJ Max or Ross and pick up something, Maybe perfume or something like that. If your fiance is very traditional, he will be embarrassed that you didn't bring a gift for at least the mother. I found out the hard way, not to over do it with the value of the gifts because the sentimental value may not be there. I bought my soon to be mother in law some crystal perfume oil bottles and a beautiful crystal scrovski bracelet, she was not thrilled about it. She was looking forward to soemthing more practical that she could use in everyday living. I think that she did like the toiletry set that I got her: a soap, body wash, lotion kit. Go for practical gifts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

thanks hun! I almost forgot about the fan!!! lol....I'm going to need that! Also, did you buy the adapter for like your phone charger so you can charge it while you are there? I looked into buying one but, I was nervous to commit because they look weird and I don't want to buy the wrong thing haha.

K had a power strip that my charger fit into. The power strip must have been universal or something?

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I had a Nigerian friend (female) that I worked with prior to going there for the first time. I asked her this same question because I had no idea what to bring. He had a big family (lots of siblings and nieces/nephews) living in the same house with him so I felt I should bring something for them. She told me hand bags for the women, TJ Max would have some nice, inexpensive ones.... and trendy, but inexpensive Tshirts for the men. Winter stuff is coming out and Tshirts this time of year are probably on clearance, you could buy some nice ones for a good price. They all loved the stuff! Anything from America they are going to love. I also brought watches for the parents. Nothing too expensive, just a nice matching set. They loved it.

Edited by ikeNme

Timeline

For charging phones, just get a USB charger that fits with your phone and a car adapter (if you will be traveling in your own transportation while there). With all the power outages, the car charger really saved me. And trust me, traffic is crazy so you may end up in vehicles for longer than you expect.

I ate and drank whatever was given to me and didn't get sick. No tap water though, but I bathed and brushed my teeth with water from the ground.

The battery fan is a brilliant idea!

Pack light clothing and hair ties.

You may end up having a different experience, but thinking back on my time there, if I had gone into it with the mindset that I was going to be camping, I think I would have been a bit more mentally prepared.

I got a yellow fever shot and local malaria pills while there. Neither were very expensive, but the shot was a little scary just because the hospitals are not up to American hospital standards.

And try not to let all the hype make you scared. Yes, Nigeria can be very dangerous, but there are many people there who would love for you to have a wonderful experience. :-)

USCIS

07/10/2015: I-130 Mailed

07/15/2015: NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

10/16/2015: Case Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

12/01/2015: NOA2 (139 Days from NOA1)

NVC

12/11/2015: NVC Received

12/23/2015: NVC Case Number and IIN Assigned

12/24/2015: DS-261 Submitted

12/24/2015: AOS Fee Available and Paid (In Process)

12/31/2015: IV Application Fee Available and Paid (In Process)

12/31/2015: Hardcopy NVC Welcome Letter Arrived

01/04/2015: AOS Fee Paid (Complete)

01/05/2016: IV Application Fee Paid (Complete)

01/06/2016: DS-260 Available

01/16/2016: DS-260 Submitted

01/29/2016: AOS and IV Package Mailed (w/out South African Police Clearance)

02/03/2016: AOS and IV Package Scanned

02/18/2016: South African Police Clearance Mailed

02/19/2016: South African Police Clearance Scanned

03/22/2016: Case Complete

03/29/2016: Interview Date Scheduled

Embassy

05/16/2016: Interviewed and APPROVED! (306 Days from NOA1)

05/25/2016: Visa Pickup

06/01/2016: Leave Nigeria

06/02/2016: Arrive in US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

@Socialwork4god. I visited Nigeria 3 times. Lagos. Enugu. Abuja Time frame 2007-2011. Just like everyone suggested...get a yellow card so you wont have a problem entering the country. The only required vaccine is Yellow fever...google a friendly travel doctor or ask your own doc to refer you to one. Once you have a yellow card, they are good for 10 years. Take some malaria meds with you. I used to take mefloquin going there, but I am not sure if it's still available. If your doctor does not know...tell them that many anti-malarials that work in South America do not work in Affrica, hence, it has to be region specific. If you are planning to have insurance company pay for the pills...be wary...they only want to cover 4 weeks...and you have to start regimen two weeks before your trip. You will have to explain to your insurance company that no one will refill the script overseas...hence they have to cover full 10 weeks...assuming your trip is 3 to 4 weeks.

For anti-mosquito repellent. I'd recommend citronella wipes...not the industrial type stuff that takes off nail polish. Mosquitos may land on you, but they will never bite if you are doused with it. They hate the lemon scent.

Mohammed Mortala (Lagos Airport) is not scary...but they have a single toilet paper dispenser in the ladies room, so pack some facial tissues for that emergency bathroom call. Be prepared to show your customs officers address of your finacee's home or a hotel where you are staying. If your fiancee can not meet you inside of the airport. Do not exchange any money or or chat with anyone, until you see him. If you do not see him right away, then go back in, and ask an airport official to call him for you. Your fiancee should reimburse the person who called him. As of today...exchange rates 1.00 USD = 199.050 Nigerian Naira. Bottled water is readily available, so no worries. But if you enjoy a particular brand of toiler paper or feminine products, bring them along.

You will find Lagos to be cosmopolitan and dirty at the same time If your fiancee is well off, you will spend some time on Victoria Island. I'd also recommend a trip to Badagri Beach, closer to Benin, but lovely. none the less. Never been to Ibadan, just guessing that your man is Yoruba. So I'd recommend a stop at a local museum to soak up the culture. If he has a mother and sisters, I am sure they will take good care of you. If you enjoy drinking, Heineken is easy to come by. Other than "bon voyage" and you will be 100% fine, enjoy the time with your love and his family.

Timeline

@Socialwork4god. I visited Nigeria 3 times. Lagos. Enugu. Abuja Time frame 2007-2011. Just like everyone suggested...get a yellow card so you wont have a problem entering the country. The only required vaccine is Yellow fever...google a friendly travel doctor or ask your own doc to refer you to one. Once you have a yellow card, they are good for 10 years. Take some malaria meds with you. I used to take mefloquin going there, but I am not sure if it's still available. If your doctor does not know...tell them that many anti-malarials that work in South America do not work in Affrica, hence, it has to be region specific. If you are planning to have insurance company pay for the pills...be wary...they only want to cover 4 weeks...and you have to start regimen two weeks before your trip. You will have to explain to your insurance company that no one will refill the script overseas...hence they have to cover full 10 weeks...assuming your trip is 3 to 4 weeks.

For anti-mosquito repellent. I'd recommend citronella wipes...not the industrial type stuff that takes off nail polish. Mosquitos may land on you, but they will never bite if you are doused with it. They hate the lemon scent.

Mohammed Mortala (Lagos Airport) is not scary...but they have a single toilet paper dispenser in the ladies room, so pack some facial tissues for that emergency bathroom call. Be prepared to show your customs officers address of your finacee's home or a hotel where you are staying. If your fiancee can not meet you inside of the airport. Do not exchange any money or or chat with anyone, until you see him. If you do not see him right away, then go back in, and ask an airport official to call him for you. Your fiancee should reimburse the person who called him. As of today...exchange rates 1.00 USD = 199.050 Nigerian Naira. Bottled water is readily available, so no worries. But if you enjoy a particular brand of toiler paper or feminine products, bring them along.

You will find Lagos to be cosmopolitan and dirty at the same time If your fiancee is well off, you will spend some time on Victoria Island. I'd also recommend a trip to Badagri Beach, closer to Benin, but lovely. none the less. Never been to Ibadan, just guessing that your man is Yoruba. So I'd recommend a stop at a local museum to soak up the culture. If he has a mother and sisters, I am sure they will take good care of you. If you enjoy drinking, Heineken is easy to come by. Other than "bon voyage" and you will be 100% fine, enjoy the time with your love and his family.

According to the CDC, the yellow fever vaccine is not required when traveling from the US.

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
03/05/2015- NOA1
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
05/14/2018- Visa issued

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Timeline

I just got back from Nigeria few days ago and they did not ask about yellow fever shot, though I have it. On my previous trip,Sept 2014, they were not letting people in without it. You can get a prescription for antibiotic in case you get traveler's diarrhea while there.

Edited by Moshin

With God, all things are possible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow...thank you so much everyone!!! 99balloons...thanks for all the advice about what to pack and places to visit. I have a phone charger which plugs into both a wall outlet and the car so I think I'll take that one. Yes, he is Yoruba and he doesn't have any sisters but, his mom should be around and I have a feeling she is a very sweet lady. I already have an appointment with my local Passport Health office to get any vaccines that are needed and/or required for my trip and they will also inform me of anything I need to know for my trip such as meds to take for travelers diarrhea or bug sprays. I'm pretty sure they will also give me the Malaria meds and such. They don't take insurance but, I'll be able to send it in later for reimbursement. You all have been so incredibly helpful. Now, if you all could just talk to my family and explain to them why I'm doing this and don't fear I'm going to be killed while I'm there haha...that would be great. I had a discussion/argument with my dad today about going and he's set that it's not safe and that I'm never coming back home. It hurts my feelings that they don't trust that I wouldn't go if I didn't feel it was safe. I trust my fiancé and know that he will do everything in his power to keep me safe while I'm there with him. (L)

So, as far as gifts go....you guys don't recommend having "gifts" in order to get me through customs or anything like that easier, correct? Just taking gifts for my new family? I don't plan on giving anyone money because I don't have it to give.

Timeline

Wow...thank you so much everyone!!! 99balloons...thanks for all the advice about what to pack and places to visit. I have a phone charger which plugs into both a wall outlet and the car so I think I'll take that one. Yes, he is Yoruba and he doesn't have any sisters but, his mom should be around and I have a feeling she is a very sweet lady. I already have an appointment with my local Passport Health office to get any vaccines that are needed and/or required for my trip and they will also inform me of anything I need to know for my trip such as meds to take for travelers diarrhea or bug sprays. I'm pretty sure they will also give me the Malaria meds and such. They don't take insurance but, I'll be able to send it in later for reimbursement. You all have been so incredibly helpful. Now, if you all could just talk to my family and explain to them why I'm doing this and don't fear I'm going to be killed while I'm there haha...that would be great. I had a discussion/argument with my dad today about going and he's set that it's not safe and that I'm never coming back home. It hurts my feelings that they don't trust that I wouldn't go if I didn't feel it was safe. I trust my fiancé and know that he will do everything in his power to keep me safe while I'm there with him. (L)

So, as far as gifts go....you guys don't recommend having "gifts" in order to get me through customs or anything like that easier, correct? Just taking gifts for my new family? I don't plan on giving anyone money because I don't have it to give.

I thought he wasn't Yoruba? I told you whatever tribe you named sounded like Yoruba lol

As I've told you, I stood my ground through the airport and didn't give anything to anyone although they asked lol

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
03/05/2015- NOA1
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
05/14/2018- Visa issued

Timeline

NOOOOO gifts at the airport. The MOST i would suggest, is keeping a couple 10's in one pocket. ...that way if you feel you have no way out of 'paying' someone, at least you can just pull out a 10 and give it to them. Better than being stuck with only 20's or higher. But even then, I dont advice you fall victim to giving them anything, but you just never know. Most clinics I found didnt take insurance either, but I did come across one in my neighboring city. If you have the time, maybe find out if there are any others that take the insurance. Usually big hospitals have them as part of their services...either called a travel clinic or infectious disease dept.

I'm 100 percent sure your fiance will keep you safe, but I do understand your family's concerns. Just assure them you'll talk to them every day and update them and give them a number they can reach you on once you get there and maybe that will ease their minds.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you can get ahold of some toilet seat covers ( the little packaged ones are best ) they are handy. Sometime public toilets are not ... well maintained and sometimes they really don't exist. If you are going into a village you may have to be prepared to squat toilet or use something like a GO Girl .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Reading through all the post here, I believe you have all the information you need. Go with open mind, dont inhibit yourself, have fun with your love one, im sure your fiancee will keep a good eye on you and keep you safe.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am on my way back to Legos Friday the 25th of September. No need to pack food or beverages because you can not take it into the states or bring food back from Nigeria. Clothing dress comfortable it will be hot and also this is rainy season. Make sure your you have tissue, towels depending on where you staying some hotels do not provide a lot of our needs. There are limited next to non public restroom. When leaving airport left your fiance handle things don't exchange money at airport with nobody. Go to bank. Have an open mind about everything you see and experience. But I love it

Tamika Babatunde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am on my way back to Legos Friday the 25th of September. No need to pack food or beverages because you can not take it into the states or bring food back from Nigeria. Clothing dress comfortable it will be hot and also this is rainy season. Make sure your you have tissue, towels depending on where you staying some hotels do not provide a lot of our needs. There are limited next to non public restroom. When leaving airport left your fiance handle things don't exchange money at airport with nobody. Go to bank. Have an open mind about everything you see and experience. But I love it

thank you for the heads up. Good luck and enjoy your time. :) One of my friends just left last night to go to Nigeria. I believe she arrived earlier today. I'm getting super excited to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.