Socialwork4god

Nigerain visa

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow...thank you so much everyone!!! 99balloons...thanks for all the advice about what to pack and places to visit. I have a phone charger which plugs into both a wall outlet and the car so I think I'll take that one. Yes, he is Yoruba and he doesn't have any sisters but, his mom should be around and I have a feeling she is a very sweet lady. I already have an appointment with my local Passport Health office to get any vaccines that are needed and/or required for my trip and they will also inform me of anything I need to know for my trip such as meds to take for travelers diarrhea or bug sprays. I'm pretty sure they will also give me the Malaria meds and such. They don't take insurance but, I'll be able to send it in later for reimbursement. You all have been so incredibly helpful. Now, if you all could just talk to my family and explain to them why I'm doing this and don't fear I'm going to be killed while I'm there haha...that would be great. I had a discussion/argument with my dad today about going and he's set that it's not safe and that I'm never coming back home. It hurts my feelings that they don't trust that I wouldn't go if I didn't feel it was safe. I trust my fiancé and know that he will do everything in his power to keep me safe while I'm there with him. (L)

So, as far as gifts go....you guys don't recommend having "gifts" in order to get me through customs or anything like that easier, correct? Just taking gifts for my new family? I don't plan on giving anyone money because I don't have it to give.

Be sure to get an electrical converter if you use your charger in the wall or it won't fit/work.

Go here to view the type you need: http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=230

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Be sure to get an electrical converter if you use your charger in the wall or it won't fit/work.

Go here to view the type you need: http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=230

I already have a converter but, thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yellow card IS needed. I didn't have one and got stopped. Almost did not get in. They asked "how I could help them". If I didn't help them I would not get in. It is very hot and the lines in the airport are long. Most people with Nigerian passports get thru easier/faster. They get thru the line to get the luggage faster. The airport in Lagos is was under renovation when I was there in October 2014. It is difficult to get thru. DO NOT accept help from anyone you do not know. They want to be paid for the help. I had a friend meet me outside the airport. A young man who spoke English well followed me and wanted to help me. If my friend had not been there I would have been in trouble.

When you check your bags when you are leaving be prepared to be there at least 3-4 hours early. They will check your bags by hand. As soon as that is complete, fill the paperwork and head for the security area and get ready to board. You may wait a while in a holding area but I almost didn't make it one time. I learned a lesson. It's a fantastic place. It is hot but beautiful. I don't venture out much. Spending time with family is a better idea for me. It takes a long time to get around the city. The first time I went, I was told not to eat "bush meat". You never know what it is. Goat meat is really good. Pounded yam is also good. Be prepared to eat with your hands. lol There are utensils, but if trying to 'fit in'... As they say, "when in Rome..."

Have a good time.

Timeline

As far as "gifts" go.... They love "American chocolate"...lol Must be a delicacy. I always have "gifts" of various 'amounts' with me. You never know what it could take to make peace.

Timeline

Thanks for the heads up Deabara about leaving Nigeria. That will come in very handy. Also, I'm already very unsure about what foods I will try and which ones I will not. but, I'm on a pretty strict diet because I had bariatric surgery a month ago and can only have soft chew foods currently. Lastly, the thing you said about chocolate is so true! My fiancé told me not to spend money on getting his any gifts...just bring chocolate! lol. :)

Timeline

Thanks for the heads up Deabara about leaving Nigeria. That will come in very handy. Also, I'm already very unsure about what foods I will try and which ones I will not. but, I'm on a pretty strict diet because I had bariatric surgery a month ago and can only have soft chew foods currently. Lastly, the thing you said about chocolate is so true! My fiancé told me not to spend money on getting his any gifts...just bring chocolate! lol. :)

Than be very very careful eating pounded yam, eba, garri (those dough balls) they use to scoop up food. It can plug some up. It is superglue to my insides. So just be careful.

Also if you have allergies benedrly and epi pen and other allergy medicine you may need have handy. Many forget about ground nut (peanuts) many things they cook with and put in have nuts r residue and I have had a few friends end up in hospital not knowing.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. You will be treated like royalty and won;t want to come back. You parents I promise will see a new you and welcome it.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Yea, my fiance is a very picky eater. He mostly eats rice, beans, punded yams, and fish. I can eat pretty much all of that. Plus, he plans to take me to resturants occasionally for "american" food haha. I told him I'm fine with eating what he eats. I don't have any food allergies and I'm okay with spice for the most part lol. This is all very helpful info tho. Thanks!

Timeline

Yea, my fiance is a very picky eater. He mostly eats rice, beans, punded yams, and fish. I can eat pretty much all of that. Plus, he plans to take me to resturants occasionally for "american" food haha. I told him I'm fine with eating what he eats. I don't have any food allergies and I'm okay with spice for the most part lol. This is all very helpful info tho. Thanks!

When I was there, I tried some of the local food, but it did not agree with my stomach and I really didnt like the taste of it...and I definitely was not brave enough to eat ANY meat. I lived solely on Indomie (their brand of Ramen), friend plantain, pineapple and pof pof. Oh...and french fries! lol. Just thinking about the morning Pof Pof is making me hungry!!

Timeline

When I was there, I tried some of the local food, but it did not agree with my stomach and I really didnt like the taste of it...and I definitely was not brave enough to eat ANY meat. I lived solely on Indomie (their brand of Ramen), friend plantain, pineapple and pof pof. Oh...and french fries! lol. Just thinking about the morning Pof Pof is making me hungry!!

I was the same way ikeNme, I lived daily on Suya...spiced mild because this can be very spicy also.

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.