jg121783

A few questions about trip to Philippines in a week

59 posts in this topic

Get a smart unlocked GSM phone with you ...

Put a SMART or Globe SIM card in it ... anything over 40 p for the SIM card and it would be extra for the agent .. your call..

Use this app ... Grab A Cab,,, UBER cars are not allowed at the arrival at NAIA...

Grab A Cab will charge 40 Pesos extra and will tell you the total... It's still much better than the sharks. These are regular street cabs.

Airport taxis will kill you ... while smiling :)

Get a smart unlocked GSM phone with you ...

Put a SMART or Globe SIM card in it ... anything over 40 p for the SIM card and it would be extra for the agent .. your call..

Use this app ... Grab A Cab,,, UBER cars are not allowed at the arrival at NAIA...

Grab A Cab will charge 40 Pesos extra and will tell you the total... It's still much better than the sharks. These are regular street cabs.

Airport taxis will kill you ... while smiling :)

I have a cheap prepaid gsm smart phone I unlocked. I wonder if it will work on Globe. Is there a place to buy a cheap Globe flip phone or will I be out of luck if my phone doesn't work? Also is there a good way to call from the Hong Kong airport to the Philippines or should i just try skype if I can find wifi?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

I have a cheap prepaid gsm smart phone I unlocked. I wonder if it will work on Globe. Is there a place to buy a cheap Globe flip phone or will I be out of luck if my phone doesn't work? Also is there a good way to call from the Hong Kong airport to the Philippines or should i just try skype if I can find wifi?

best is have a smartphone unlocked, but yes any unlocked phone will work, you can call from your laptop on skype with wifi in HK airport no problem

I say smartphone because you can just message using whatever app you guys normally communicate with I.E. skype, whatsapp, wechat, viber,line, theres so many to choose from...Besides if you plan to travel again anywhere, I am guessing you will in the future, your best friend will be an unlocked smartphone, for maps, calls messages booking hotels last minute flights etc, i spent nearly $1000 on mine, but it was a necessity the way I travel, used it in 28 different countries with no issues, plus the whole grabbing wifi at the airport and being able to communicate thing

Edited by Joshua@Tinz

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Ok so I think I will have about $1000 to take with me. How much cash should I take and how much should I leave in my account to use my card? I have a mastercard for my checking account if that matters. Also I called the bank and they said there are no fees on their end for using my card in another country besides normal atm fees. If I do take some cash what is the safest way to carry it? By the way I went looking at engagement rings today and I think I found the one I will get. Now it's time to book one of those Manila Bay cruises.

Ok so I think I will have about $1000 to take with me. How much cash should I take and how much should I leave in my account to use my card? I have a mastercard for my checking account if that matters. Also I called the bank and they said there are no fees on their end for using my card in another country besides normal atm fees. If I do take some cash what is the safest way to carry it? By the way I went looking at engagement rings today and I think I found the one I will get. Now it's time to book one of those Manila Bay cruises.

Normal atm fees is about $5 in PI. :) if you dont want to pay that you can just bring the cash instead and have it changed to pesos. But be mindful of your surroundings. And make sure that you keep your cash in a safe place. Enjoy your vacay. And congrats in advance. :)

K1 VISA :)
02-25-2015: I-129f sent
03-03-2015: NOA1
03-25-2015: NOA2
04-29-2015: Medical (passed)
05-18-2015: Interview (approved) yay!
05-21-2015: Issued! ?
06-25-2015: US entry

AOS
09-16-2015: Sent AOS, EAD and AP packets
09-22-2015: NOA

10-15-2015: Biometrics

11-20-2015: EAD and AP approval

12-21-2015: Interview

12-30-2015: AOS approval :)

ROC

11-02-2017: I-751 sent

11-07-2017: NOA1

11-30-2017: Biometrics

So you will have $1000 in cash all together or just in cash and other money on your card? I have always carried my money in my wallet, and carried my wallet in the front pocket of my pants/shorts when I am out in public. This is for safety reasons and so I don't get pick pocketed, so far it has not happened to me. I always used to carry at least $500-$750 on my person at all times because the nearest atm is 45 minutes away from my wife's small town.

When Chinook and I visit the Philippines for a couple of weeks, we take $1000-1500 and exchange a few hundred dollars at the airport. After burning through the $1500, we use the ATM to withdraw P10,000 per transaction. For the bigger ticket items, such as hotels and airline flights, we use a Visa card. Other than that, we pay for everything else in cash.

We usually leave part of the cash in the hotel-room safe. Chinook and I split the rest. We each carry half. I always carry my wallet in my front pocket. I carry a several hundred pesos in my other front pocket for small purchases, taxis, and such. That way, I avoid flashing the cash in my wallet.

Make sure to have a bunch of P20 bills for tips.

Mastercard will probably only work at ATMs, they are not the best card to travel with, your gonna need a credit card if you plan to stay in any hotels. Even though things are somewhat cheaper in Pinas, $1000 isnt gonna go far in Manila when you want to have a good time, best advice for you is think of every 1000 peso you spend and treat it as if it is $100 usd. How long do you plan to stay?

Also will you be meeting her family? If so there is gonna be a dinner, and more then likely when the bill comes.....you guessed it, so with a $1000 budget your best off to avoid the western places you know, such as outback, TGIF, and hit a Philippine style restaraunt preferably away from the mall.

Edited by Joshua@Tinz

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Mastercard will probably only work at ATMs, they are not the best card to travel with, your gonna need a credit card if you plan to stay in any hotels. Even though things are somewhat cheaper in Pinas, $1000 isnt gonna go far in Manila when you want to have a good time, best advice for you is think of every 1000 peso you spend and treat it as if it is $100 usd. How long do you plan to stay?

Also will you be meeting her family? If so there is gonna be a dinner, and more then likely when the bill comes.....you guessed it, so with a $1000 budget your best off to avoid the western places you know, such as outback, TGIF, and hit a Philippine style restaraunt preferably away from the mall.

I will be there for two weeks. Other than two days in Manila I will be staying with her family the rest of the time.

I will be there for two weeks. Other than two days in Manila I will be staying with her family the rest of the time.

Everyone here has given you pretty sound advice, but let me try to relay something to you in the nicest and most respectful way I can since this is your first trip to Pinas, I love filipino people dearly, but you need to understand that they are gonna think you are rich, no way around it and no way to stop it. I don't mean your girl per say but every person you pass and all of her family, your gonna have to be wise with your budget, or you will end up in an embarrassing situation, you could do maybe a lechon for a family meal, buy about a 40-50 kilo pig for 4000 peso, that will go alot further then taking them out to eat, economically and it will bring you closer to the family then sitting in a restaraunt where some of them might be uncomfortable....just a suggestion , but trust me its alot more fun, cheaper and it is a whole day bonding experience for the whole family and neighborhood

EDIT: dont go with them to buy the pig, price goes up 1000 peso $25 when they see you

Edited by Joshua@Tinz

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Everyone here has given you pretty sound advice, but let me try to relay something to you in the nicest and most respectful way I can since this is your first trip to Pinas, I love filipino people dearly, but you need to understand that they are gonna think you are rich, no way around it and no way to stop it. I don't mean your girl per say but every person you pass and all of her family, your gonna have to be wise with your budget, or you will end up in an embarrassing situation, you could do maybe a lechon for a family meal, buy about a 40-50 kilo pig for 4000 peso, that will go alot further then taking them out to eat, economically and it will bring you closer to the family then sitting in a restaraunt where some of them might be uncomfortable....just a suggestion , but trust me its alot more fun, cheaper and it is a whole day bonding experience for the whole family and neighborhood

EDIT: dont go with them to buy the pig, price goes up 1000 peso $25 when they see you

Funny you mention that. We were planning on doing that for my girlfriends birthday (a couple days after to be technical). We were gonna do that and rent a local pool for the whole family for the day. Believe me I know her family thinks I have a lot of money and I know I will have to deal with that.

Just wanted to let everyone know I made it to the Philippines with no problems and everything has been going very good the last few days.We spent the first couple days in Manila and I went to the embassy and got my legal capacity to marry a couple days ago. My fiancee did have to wait outside but it only took about an hour and a half. You guys weren't kidding when you said things are more expensive in Manila. Now that we have been out of Manila the last couple days I am saving a lot of money. I already experienced having prices jacked up on things just because I am an American. My fiancee got into an argument with a cab driver because he told us one price then jacked it up when we got where we were going. We also had a cab driver refuse to turn on his meter and charged me 300p when it should have only been about 100p. Unfortunately we were also stuck paying $25 for a ride from the airport because I got there at 1 in the morning and we were both tired and didn't want to wait for a cheaper cab (and the shuttle from the hotel never showed up). Also I am sure the price on a few things I was looking at in the Mall Of Asia was raised a little. I went to buy a Globe sim card that my fiancee said should have been 50p and they wanted 150p from me. I think in the future if I need to buy something I will have my fiancee go by herself to buy it. I also got ripped off by the hotel we stayed at but that is a story for another time. Lets just stay I would not recommend the Copacabana hotel and will not be staying there again. The good thing is a friend of my fiancee's brother in law drives a tricycle and he has been taking us everywhere we need/want to go around where she lives and is only asking for gas money (I plan on giving him some more money before I leave anyways). He also waits for us where ever we go so we have a ride right away when we are done.

We are now in my fiancee's home town staying with her sister and brother in law. Her family has been very friendly to me and has gone out of their way to make me feel at home. They even insisted on giving my fiancee and me their room with the AC in it while they all sleep on the living room floor. There have been no issues so far with them thinking I have a lot of money or asking for money. The other night I had a couple bottles of Imperador (spelling) and some red horse beer with her brother in law and his friends and ate some balut (wasn't that bad at all because I was too hammered to think about what it was I was eating). We have been buying food at the grocery store and market instead of eating out and even though I am buying enough for everyone in the house I am still saving money.

We went to city hall yesterday and filed for our marriage license. They told us it will take 10 business days and we have to attend a 4 hour seminar (that is done all in Tagalog). The people at city hall did not speak much English so I just sat there with a smile on my face and let my fiancee handle everything hahaha. The good thing is they said if they can't schedule the seminar before I have to leave my fiancee can go by herself and they wont require me to attend. I plan on coming back for a few weeks in January so we can get married then. Anyways my fiancee just finished making breakfast so I have to run. I appreciate all the advice you all have given me and I will keep you updated on the rest of my adventure in the Philippines.

Best advice I can give is if you are really sure of your relationship, it's time to start trusting your girl with the money. I gave my wife the cash to carry and to make the purchases. Never did I ever feel ripped off. Never paid Kano pricing either. At times she went on to negotiate the price and I stayed out of sight. She did a great job and I think it meant a lot to her that I trusted her with the money.

I only withdrew in larger amounts to avoid most of the fees.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Best advice I can give is if you are really sure of your relationship, it's time to start trusting your girl with the money. I gave my wife the cash to carry and to make the purchases. Never did I ever feel ripped off. Never paid Kano pricing either. At times she went on to negotiate the price and I stayed out of sight. She did a great job and I think it meant a lot to her that I trusted her with the money.

I only withdrew in larger amounts to avoid most of the fees.

I have already been doing that to a certain extent. I do trust her with the money because everytime I want to buy something (especially for her) she keeps telling me it's too expensive and insists I save my money. That is one of the things I like about her. She is good at managing and saving money. Probably even better than I am. The sim card is a good example. After they tried to rip me off we went somewhere else and I stayed out of sight and let her go buy it. She was able to get it for 50p instead of 150p. To me it's not a lot of extra money that I am being charged but my fiance gets really upset when people try to do that to me. She got in a big argument with a cab driver over 50p extra he was trying to charge us (I hope I never make her mad enough where she yells at me like that lol). I guess to people here 50p is a lot more to them than it is to me. Whenever people are honest with prices to me I try to give them a tip anyways. We had food delivered to the hotel and I paid for it and had about 100p change coming back to me and I told the delivery guy to keep it and I could tell it made him really happy.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have gotten out a few taxis because they refuse to turn on the meter. With many purchases I for sure do not hang around, let my wife handle it ... she has all the money anyway.... :lol: In the malls and such not an issue as the prices are on the items, hard for SM or Robinson's to ripe you off anymore then then are ripping off everyone else.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.