Co Sponsorship Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi,

So here is my situation.

I am self employed.

I live with my parents.

Both of my parents are on fixed government income. I do not make enough money to be the sole sponsor.

My co sponsor is a friend who lives in a different state and has a goverment job. Between my self employment income and hers, we will be well over the poverty line.

However, my questions are:

Which poverty level line should I be referring to?

Altogether once my husband arrives, it will be a household of 4, do I need to include all 4 people or should I say it is just the 2 of us?

Also, do I have to include anything about my parents, even though their income is the one for household expenses only, do they have to fill out a form?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You can not combine your income with your friend. As the Joint Sponsor, your friend must make enough for her household and the intending immigrant.

Do you file taxes on your own? Meaning you don't claim your parents on your tax return, and they don't claim you on their tax return?

Your household size which you need to calculate in your I-864 will not be the same as the Joint Sponsor's household since you will be counting different people.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Dear,

Even though you do not make enough to be a sole sponsor to your husband, you will still fill out your own AOS form and include your husband as a dependent and if he is the only one you have as a dependent then it will count as 2. Staying with someone in the same household like your mom and dad does not make them dependents on you unless otherwise they are included.

Secondly, you cannot add 2 individual incomes to make up the required amount needed to sponsor your husband it does not work like that. If you do not make the amount needed then your joint sponsor alone should make that such amount needed. You joint sponsor will have your husband as a dependent and will also count any other person she is responsible or dependent on her when filling out the AOS form.

If you look at the AOS guide on the required income side it starts from a dependent of,

1=19225

2=

3=

4= and goes on.

If for example your joint sponsor makes an annual income of 19225 or more and does not have any other dependent then this amount will be enough for her to sponsor your husband but if she have another dependent which is not your husband then she will count both your husband and that person the amount in number 1 will not suffice so you will move to the next amount.

I hope you will find this info very helpful. Am happy soon you and bunja will be together.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you.

As far as taxes, what happens if I did not file in 2013 and 2012 (I was in school)

but I did file in 2014?

My co-sponsor has filed all three years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Just make a note and give reasons why you did not file for those two years and attached to the AOS. So long your co sponsor have enough to cover your husband then everything would be fine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.